Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Took these photos Friday. A lot of the trees here have autumn-like brown colors from frost damage. Others are a healthy light green color. A mix of both is common.

Green trees and brown trees:

A bit closer:

Closest:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Current conditions at Snowshoe Mountain, West Virginia. It's not uncommon end of April but its not 10,000 feet up either. 4500' elevation and lattitude of 38.41.

Snowshoe Mountain (Live Cam) - HighCountryWebCams.com

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Took these photos Friday. A lot of the trees here have autumn-like brown colors from frost damage. Others are a healthy light green color. A mix of both is common.

Green trees and brown trees:

You’re spring pictures are a lot nicer than mine right now. The drought just a few states to the south of New England is really bad at this point. We need rain, its not a joke anymore.

I just got back from Atlantic City, New Jersey this weekend, and there were several spots I saw along the Parkway that looked as if they had just recently burned. I’m not sure – but it looks like to me that the very warm and sunny conditions this winter/spring seems to have had a slowing the blooming time in parts of New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, and eastern PA this year.

As far as my own garden, my soil is in horrible shape; I snapped this picture of soil conditions in my bamboo grove on Friday before I went to NJ to Email to family in Florida (they thought I was exaggerating how dry the soil was). I’ve never seen the soil in this dry of a condition in April:

They say that some rain will pass through the NYC/CT/NJ area tonight and Monday. I have my fingers crossed.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Ah, yes. Light and dusty, just how I like my soil . But it is terrible stuff for gardening. I have no doubt that the Mid-Atlantic's soil will be moistened up a great deal by this time tomorrow. It would be better if there was wet snow on it, as many locations to your west are getting as part of the package of the "Earth Day Snowstorm 2012".

I just noticed that in addition to preferring dry soil, I also prefer dry, powdery snow. I also like low humidity, so perhaps I'm just a dry kind of guy .

Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Ah, yes. Light and dusty, just how I like my soil . But it is terrible stuff for gardening.
You have no idea…it’s killing me not to set the sprinkler out. However we have a community well (serves about 200 homes) and the regulations state that there is to be no watering of plants of gardens in fall/winter/spring. I can understand the logic of course (having water to drink is obviously more important than your garden), but It’s tough to watch your plants sit in the sun and want for water.

Trying to dig is it like hitting stone with the shovel.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
You’re spring pictures are a lot nicer than mine right now. The drought just a few states to the south of New England is really bad at this point. We need rain, its not a joke anymore.

I just got back from Atlantic City, New Jersey this weekend, and there were several spots I saw along the Parkway that looked as if they had just recently burned. I’m not sure – but it looks like to me that the very warm and sunny conditions this winter/spring seems to have had a slowing the blooming time in parts of New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, and eastern PA this year.

As far as my own garden, my soil is in horrible shape; I snapped this picture of soil conditions in my bamboo grove on Friday before I went to NJ to Email to family in Florida (they thought I was exaggerating how dry the soil was). I’ve never seen the soil in this dry of a condition in April:
They say that some rain will pass through the NYC/CT/NJ area tonight and Monday. I have my fingers crossed.
It's not great here, either. Look at these fields here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post23865558

Most wild land / gardens are better than that, but still it's not good here. Your area looks like it's at D2:

Regional Drought Monitor: Northeast

We're at D1; but the eastern half of the state is the same as coastal CT and Long Island. Rain is coming. The issue is how much and whether it will be enough.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's not great here, either. Look at these fields here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post23865558

Most wild land / gardens are better than that, but still it's not good here. Your area looks like it's at D2:

Regional Drought Monitor: Northeast

We're at D1; but the eastern half of the state is the same as coastal CT and Long Island. Rain is coming. The issue is how much and whether it will be enough.
Wow…that is scary looking. Looks like Yuma not MA. Is that between Springfield and Worchester?

What worries me is that (based on what NWS is saying right now) with El-Nino coming and fewer tropical systems this summer (and fall) there will be fewer chances for dying tropical system to make into the eastern part of the mainland and give the East Coast a big dump of rain. If this is true, it may get mighty dry in the region this summer.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm Ithaca, NY for the weekend. Looking at that link, Ithaca isn't in drought conditions at all, though it's been unusually dry. High of 40°F today with rain late in the afternoon. Yesterday was a bit warmer; Friday was in the high 70s. Some photos I took from a walk this afternoon.

Interestingly, at lower elevations, the "frostbitten plants" look is missing. Vegetation seems a bit ahead of Western MA, even though the elevation is still slightly higher. The smaller diurnal range, enhanced locally by being next to the lake (Cayuga Lake) helps a lot.

Green! Green!

Definitely looks like spring even though I was wearing a winter coat.

More photo spam…

In Ithaca there is Ithaca Falls (about 110 feet ?)

I've seen it stronger before; but it's nice not to get lots of spray. Low-ish for spring, but I've seen it dry enough that it was half the width of the riverbend in late summer.

Last edited by nei; 04-22-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
^^ That's a lovely town.

The drought photos look like last year in western Europe.
http://www.francesoir.fr/sites/defau...re-ancenis.jpg
http://www.infoclimat.fr/multimedia/...0520111300.jpg
http://www.sanfinna.com/wp-content/uploads/98291_un-agriculteur-montre-de-la-terre-dans-un-champ-frappe-par-la-secheresse-le-21-avril-2011-a-saint-omer.jpg (broken link)

I hope you guys get some rain from the upcoming system. It's impressive how the ground went to overly wet to bone dry since last September.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,700 times
82F/46F (27.7C/7.7C) are the extreme temps here for today. It feels very hot in the sun after about 10 minutes. Currently 80F at 5:30 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather