Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times

Advertisements

^^

The blog mentions that it's not going to last.

This jet stream pattern is too extreme to be stable, and the big loop over the Western U.S. will break off and form a giant eddy on Wednesday. The resulting area of low pressure will be known as a "cut-off low", because it will be cut off from the jet stream. The cut-off low will drift slowly eastwards during the week, gradually bringing an end to "Summer in March" over the Eastern half of the U.S.
Here, I see 25C/ 77F highs for the next two days, and then on Friday, 13C/55F, with a drop/return to around low 50s and high 40s F as highs by week's end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
^^

The blog mentions that it's not going to last.

This jet stream pattern is too extreme to be stable, and the big loop over the Western U.S. will break off and form a giant eddy on Wednesday. The resulting area of low pressure will be known as a "cut-off low", because it will be cut off from the jet stream. The cut-off low will drift slowly eastwards during the week, gradually bringing an end to "Summer in March" over the Eastern half of the U.S.
Here, I see 25C/ 77F highs for the next two days, and then on Friday, 13C/55F, with a drop/return to around low 50s and high 40s F as highs by week's end.
Yep, back to the same just a bit above average weather we've been getting all fall winter; my forecast after Friday is around 5°F above average, maybe a bit more.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Plants in NYC are showing some signs of growth but no tree leaves:

Spring Time: Spring Comes to a City Woodland - NYTimes.com

Looks like that blog will repost as the same forest view as the spring progress

Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
I can't wait for the cool down this weekend. Sunday's forecasted high is a heavenly 50 F.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
While I am a heat (or at least warmth) lover, I figure the cool down is all right with me even if it'll make me feel a bit cool -- at least it's not freezing or snowing anymore -- and as well, it can't be too long until natural late spring/summer conditions.

In fact, I wonder which places in the areas affected by the heat wave will see any sort of "return" to early spring or even winter-like conditions, or if it's already too late in the season (in a continental climate though, you can't be too rash about saying it's too late)!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Here in the UK, a warm, dry spring often heralds a wet, cool summer.. does the same usually apply in the US?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Here in the UK, a warm, dry spring often heralds a wet, cool summer.. does the same usually apply in the US?
To my knowledge it doesn't apply to the U.S. or Canada, at least from the Rockies eastward. We've had just as many, if not more, warm springs followed by hot summers as warm springs followed by cool summers. The correlation seems to be weak to nonexistent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
While I am a heat (or at least warmth) lover, I figure the cool down is all right with me even if it'll make me feel a bit cool -- at least it's not freezing or snowing anymore -- and as well, it can't be too long until natural late spring/summer conditions.
A person like me knows things are pretty bad if heat-lovers don't mind a "cooldown". A real cooldown would bring at least frost, preferably snow or even some blizzard conditions. Not the merely less-warm conditions you're getting in Toronto (even if it is certainly a cooldown, it's just a weak one).

In fact, I wonder which places in the areas affected by the heat wave will see any sort of "return" to early spring or even winter-like conditions, or if it's already too late in the season (in a continental climate though, you can't be too rash about saying it's too late)![/quote]

Places north of about the 40th parallel, certainly north of the 45th, can see conditions like Early Spring through April, including snow, so any sort of a flip between now and the end of April has the potential to produce something good for them (by my standards anyway). Mid to Late March is hardly too late in the season for snow and frost to return in the region I outlined. Could a blowtorch pattern continue with no wintry weather through Spring? Sure, it's possible. Most of those areas didn't even get a Winter this year. However their chances aren't shot until the end of April (maybe the middle of April for places like Chicago).

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 03-21-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM

I don't mind a cooldown, I'd prefer if temperature changes were a bit more gradual, so what I'd like is a week in the 60s rather than close to 80. But weather in the upper 70s I'm fine with any time of the year. I can deal with a bit of cold, my main hope now is as little or no frost for the rest of the spring so as not to interfere with plant growth more so than getting another heat wave.

The coasts (Boston, Long Island, and likely a wider area further south) have a good chance on being able to escape another frost. It'd hard for the interior to escape a frost. There's already a mild one in the forecast.

As for snow and more winter like temperatures, the time is running out and there's been a consistent weather pattern of above normal temperatures for months, the clock is running out, we'd need below average weather in the next few weeks.

Regardless, I find it interesting when we get record breaking weather so I was rooting for higher temperatures. Much more pleasant to get a heat wave in March after months of cold than a much hotter heat wave in July. I don't root for cold as much, but I was the winter before last a couple times. Once winter is over, my main interest switches to no frosts above all.

Last edited by nei; 03-21-2012 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Also, I'm Long Island right now. Last night was covered in thick fog and around 58°F. Woke up and it was 57°F and also thick fog, so the dew point must have been in the high 50s.

Slept with the windows open and it got a bit chilly for inside, mid 60s or maybe low 60s.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also, I'm Long Island right now. Last night was covered in thick fog and around 58°F. Woke up and it was 57°F and also thick fog, so the dew point must have been in the high 50s.

Slept with the windows open and it got a bit chilly for inside, mid 60s or maybe low 60s.
It was 51 F around midnight, but the temperature rose into the mid 50s overnight. Currently overcast and foggy at 11:40AM (61 F). Last night was the first night I slept with the ceiling fan on.

I'm hoping for some freezing nights and decent rains because this is going to be a horrendous allergy season if this mild weather keeps up. I normally don't have much issues with allergies, but my nose was running all day yesterday. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a cold sympton since I feel better today. Could have been a fluke though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather