Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 09:51 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,434,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There is never a fully dormant period free of insects in the coastal southeast. I was in Beaufort SC during actually slightly below avg temps in January and average temps in Jan 2016 and there are bees around, flies, butterflies, etc. They just disappear during cold spells but come back after. At least that was my experience. Unless there is a 1980's style really really cold winter then maybe they disappear for longer periods.

While I was there certain landscapes to me looked no different summer to winter or you have to look hard to see the difference. Birds all around, little amphibians like frogs, chameleons, etc are active. At night in early Feb in coastal Mississippi and Alabama (I stayed in both Biloxi and Orange Beach, AL) I heard frog noises and crickets. Hearing the wind rustle leaves was nice cause up here you do not really hear that in winter. Saw tons of dandelions on grassy areas even in Vicksburg.

Also saw loads of flowers I thought freezes would have killed off. Places I visited like Natchez had loads of flowers growing in gardens and their low temp a few weeks earlier was around 19F. Days warm up quickly under blue dome skies (after the cold front) and with the high sun it felt really nice. In Vicksburg when I was there one night the low was around 32-33F but the high temp was 54 or 55F and felt quite comfortable.
At least you know I wasn't lieing about a lot of what I said. I have seen bees on winter days here but most days they are not seen. There are some insects and a lot of bird activity.

What you said about early settlers is true; they stopped the forest fire cycle which burned forests which were then replenished with pines naturally.Now it's more mixed as there are less forest fires.

I do see gnats in winter also, flies no though to my knowledge. Frogs croak and are very active on warmer days in winter, especially if it's wet and warm, nicest sound to hear is a Symphony of frogs croaking in winter when it's warm. Lizards are also active in winter here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM

149 posts, read 89,849 times
Ooh! What a great question! This picture nicely showcases the vegetation that I find ideal:

Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,645,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
At least you know I wasn't lieing about a lot of what I said. I have seen bees on winter days here but most days they are not seen. There are some insects and a lot of bird activity.

I do see gnats in winter also, flies no though to my knowledge.
Even here there are insects in the winter. I've seen dragonflies and mosquitoes in December, bees/butterflies/moths in February. Midges/gnats are seen throughout the winter, as are birds.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Even here there are insects in the winter. I've seen dragonflies and mosquitoes in December, bees/butterflies/moths in February. Midges/gnats are seen throughout the winter, as are birds.
I have said same thing, but no one would believe me...

I can't recall ever seeing dragonflies here though, seen all of what you said but that.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:08 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,645,155 times
Quote:
I have said same thing, but no one would believe me...

I can't recall ever seeing dragonflies here though, seen all of what you said but that.
Dragonflies are only found near water, so if you don't have any streams or lakes near you then you won't see them.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Dragonflies are only found near water, so if you don't have any streams or lakes near you then you won't see them.
I just did some research, outside of warm winters dragonflies are not commonly seen in Raleigh in winter. Maybe along the coast, but here only in warm winters. There is however 1 species that can be seen in winter, even less mild ones, the autumn meadow hawk dragon fly. Definitely going to look for it next winter, kind of late now as it is spring.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM

12,622 posts, read 13,991,562 times
Quote:

What you said about early settlers is true; they stopped the forest fire cycle which burned forests which were then replenished with pines naturally.Now it's more mixed as there are less forest fires.

I do see gnats in winter also, flies no though to my knowledge. Frogs croak and are very active on warmer days in winter, especially if it's wet and warm, nicest sound to hear is a Symphony of frogs croaking in winter when it's warm. Lizards are also active in winter here.

On February 13th I drove from Orange Beach, AL up to Jackson, MS. Clear blue skies.

I'd say this was what the majority of the drive looked like thru central MS to Jackson:

Lots of green fields

Deciduous area did have green undergrowth going on also:

Old 03-04-2017, 11:41 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,503,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Ooh! What a great question! This picture nicely showcases the vegetation that I find ideal:
That's a bit too barren even for me, but still beautiful. Beats any kind of forest, except a very open coniferous forest. You're the first person I've seen on here who prefers tundra vegetation.

I love the tundra too, especially toward the ecotone with the taiga although I like a bit more vegetated tundra rather than a rocky one.

http://www.delalbright.net/Images/Alaska/ak_tundra.jpg
http://www.geobotanica.ru/VEGET/tun1_l.jpg
http://static.photo.net/attachments/...-246023584.jpg
http://slideplayer.com/24/7400405/big_thumb.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...03e02b7b07.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...90_964x643.jpg

Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
This is a heathland. Imagine this with more eucalyptus trees.

Did you check out the photos I took from last week in the winter photo thread?

I just did check on your pics from London. Wow, honestly looks like it could be a sub-tropical location.

Nice photos!

Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Any windless days here in winter with a temp over 45F and bees come out of the hives. I know at least three beekeepers here and all said the same thing. But for the most part insects are not active except in the more wooded rural areas. I took a hike thru a cedar and pine forest in the NJ Pine Barrens a couple weeks ago and there were some small insects and the ticks were also active.

Here are some pics from my hike in mid Feb in the NJ Pine Barrens. The native plants you see here like the pitch pine and southern white pine, Kalmia latifolia, Magnolia virginiana, and Atlantic White Cedar are not native north of NY state. I'm sure they can grow in Canada, but they wouldn't be out in the native wooded areas. The Inkberry is native up into Nova Scotia along the coastal plain. I was hoping to see some Christmas Ferns but didn't venture far enough into the swampy areas to see it.

Our native Kalmia latifolia is everywhere under the pines in the areas without standing water

This was forest of the native Atlantic White Cedar. Another fav tree of mine. They grow in very wet areas. There were small puddles around the bottoms of the trees, and this is also where another native Magnolia Virginiana grows. This forest looks almost the same as it did last summer when I last walked thru here. It was about 90F in summer, but much cooler in this part of the Pine Barrens.

Lots of Magnolia virginiana found beneath the cedar trees in the swampy areas.

Native Inkberry grows wild in many areas also. Saw it surrounding a lake.

Inkberry

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather