Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,803,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Most abnormal thing I can find in the record books was January 1795 (-3.1C, coldest month on record) being followed by January 1796's 7.3C (joint-second warmest January in 350+ years of records). I can only imagine what people must have made of it then with next to zero climate understanding.
7.3°C in January?! Is this for London or an England average? I'm curious what the rest of the winter was like. Perhaps January was nearly frost free...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,477,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
7.3°C in January?! Is this for London or an England average? I'm curious what the rest of the winter was like. Perhaps January was nearly frost free...
That's the Central England Temperature. London is usually 1-2 degrees warmer.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,579,345 times
Quote:
Do they air condition the subway cars in Buenos Aires? In NYC they do, but they don't air condition the platforms. I've never gotten really sweaty from subway platforms; wasn't standing there long and I dress very lightly in the summer.

I think the lack of shade might be the biggest difference. I stayed at a friends house that didn't have A/C in Brooklyn (a part of NYC) where there were tall trees on both sides of the house and it stayed comfortable though a bit hot the day I was there — humid in the low to mid 80s. Old enough so the trees were taller than the building. Was on the third floor too.
No, they dont . It said in the newspaper one time that subway its always 10 celsius more than outside temps, add that the rush hour with the millions people that take subway everyday and it gives you more than 40 c in January. It only for a few minutes though, but if the temp outside its, lets say, 33 celsius, when you get out of the subway you feel it like its cold. Thats how hot the subway its here.

It doesnt make sense they dont put A/C in the subway in this city with the weather it haves, when they even put AC in London city!!!
But it is what it is . I wish subway wasnt as fast and convenient so i wouldnt have to take it from november till april.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,726,549 times
Quote:
Is that so, despite three summer months below average? 10.2 seems unlikely IMO but 9.5/7.5 seems believable. Odd that with the amount of abnormally warm months and records these past 20 years none of the Dec/Jan/Feb records have been challenged, particularly the February record which has stood since 1779, VERY abnormal compared to most winter months in that era. Most abnormal thing I can find in the record books was January 1795 (-3.1C, coldest month on record) being followed by January 1796's 7.3C (joint-second warmest January in 350+ years of records). I can only imagine what people must have made of it then with next to zero climate understanding.
Yes indeed, all months of the year outside summer have been above average, what are the chances!? The November record is 10.1c which is unlikely to go but a close second maybe.

Something else interesting, the coldest winter ever in the UK was followed by the UK's warmest ever, and this was during the 'Little Ice Age', in the 17th century, when the Thames froze over.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,714,936 times
Quote:
That's the Central England average, made up of the average between three sites, one in the southeast, one in the southwest, and one in the north - that's the average that's generally quoted more than any local figures. London will be almost always warmer in summer, not necessarily so in winter. The rest of that winter:
October 1795 = 11.7C (milder than anything in previous 135 years of data)
November 1795 = 4.6C (unusually cold, we haven't got near that recently),
December 1795 = 6.6C (mild for these days, perhaps very mild for those days),
January 1796 = 7.3C (then-mildest January ever, record not broken for another 120 years)
February 1796 = 4.7C (average),
March 1796 = 4.2C (unusually cold, we haven't got near that recently),
April 1796 = 10.2C (very mild, milder than anything in previous 136 years).

It must have been some of the strangest few months of weather ever, how can the two coldest months of the season be November and March?! We've always had an erratic climate, it's just only recently that we seem to get these freak results every other week as opposed to every few years.

Last edited by ben86; 11-14-2011 at 02:38 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,812,306 times
First rain since May came down today here in Cairo. I feel it's officially ''winter'' now, at least by Cairo standards.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,726,549 times
Sunshine hours for November currently running at 22 hours, rainfall is low though at 14.7mm / 0.58 inches

Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,477,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Sunshine hours for November currently running at 22 hours.
Wow, frightfully sunny over there!

We are at an incredible 14.8hrs.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,304,624 times
Overcast yesterday afternoon and overcast again today. Warmer than ideal (low to mid 60s), but I guess it's a trade off.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,047,243 times
Quote:
That's the Central England average, made up of the average between three sites, one in the southeast, one in the southwest, and one in the north - that's the average that's generally quoted more than any local figures. London will be almost always warmer in summer, not necessarily so in winter. The rest of that winter:
October 1795 = 11.7C (milder than anything in previous 135 years of data)
November 1795 = 4.6C (unusually cold, we haven't got near that recently),
December 1795 = 6.6C (mild for these days, perhaps very mild for those days),
January 1796 = 7.3C (then-mildest January ever, record not broken for another 120 years)
February 1796 = 4.7C (average),
March 1796 = 4.2C (unusually cold, we haven't got near that recently),
April 1796 = 10.2C (very mild, milder than anything in previous 136 years).

It must have been some of the strangest few months of weather ever, how can the two coldest months of the season be November and March?! We've always had an erratic climate, it's just only recently that we seem to get these freak results every other week as opposed to every few years.

I'm aware of years when a month is being behind schedule or "out of phase" in average temps (eg. if August was hotter than July, or November ended up being colder than December) but I'm surprised that the UK can have such large variability in that sense, even to a few months "out of phase".

That seems really weird and a whole different level of variability -- the kind of thing that I'd expect from a place like Calgary, AB, not London.

Large variations day-to-day, or even weeks (such as prolonged heat waves and cold snaps) seem to be common in many climates, but the kind of deviation of whole monthly trends (spring being colder than winter) seem even more unusual and I wonder how they happen.

I also wonder if places, with really large ranges in temperature in terms of summer and winter, like anywhere in the American midwest, can or have gotten such topsy-turvy seasons just trendwise, like say November and March colder than January. Something tells me that would be odd even there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
First rain since May came down today here in Cairo. I feel it's officially ''winter'' now, at least by Cairo standards.
From the stats it seems that at wettest, Cairo averages only 2-3 monthly rain days and a few mm of rain per month at winter. Is this noticeable enough to feel like a Mediterranean-like seasonal trend that arrives consistently, or is it more like hit and miss (ie. those averages hide high variability such as almost no rain one winter and few flood-causing downpours another year)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather