Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM

250 posts, read 414,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
It gets that cold there?
2 mountains over 13,000ft. They have perma-frost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM

Oh wait, nope.. I'm wrong. Only a low of 12 degrees on Hawaii's Mauna Kea. It got close though

Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM

690 posts, read 1,206,890 times
San Antonio TX is listed as having low of 0f. Im sure there must be lesser known weather stations around there that have recorded a couple of degrees below that?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:51 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,296,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I would have thought one of the major factors would be the heat output by the exhaust from air conditioning units. How much AC was in use in the early 20th century? I imagine suburban NYC is still fairly densely populated.
Yeah it is quite dense in some places, though of course the heat effect is not nearly as strong once you get outside of the urban areas. I live way out in the fringe, so my area wouldn't be the best representation, but towns 20-30 miles outside of the city usually drop down to the single digits most winters. I imagine that the density and coastal influences make it difficult for it to get extremely cold in the jammed pack areas right outside of the city.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM

115 posts, read 161,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
San Antonio TX is listed as having low of 0f. Im sure there must be lesser known weather stations around there that have recorded a couple of degrees below that?

Here it can search

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/tx/tx.tmp.ext.html

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/fl/fl.tmp.ext.html

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM

11,366 posts, read 19,057,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Might not. I think it was colder across the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s than today. Looked like below 0°F were much more common in NYC years ago than now. It hasn't gone below -2°F since 1943 so perhaps extreme cold might be slightly less likely in NYC and probably across the east coast:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/...w0degdays.html
It also hasn't gone below 0 in NYC since 1994, the 2nd longest stretch in recorded history (if NYC goes 1 or 2 more winters without a 0 it will break the longest stretch, which is from 1943 to 1961). Only once in that stretch did it even come close, a 1 deg reading in January, 2004; I believe it's the only time in that period it was even below 5 deg F.

For some reason, a lot more of the warming in the last 100 years has been in nighttime lows than daytime highs. It could be "global warming", or an enhanced urban heat island effect as cities get bigger and bigger, or a little of both. My personal feeling is that it is mostly the latter, but a little bit the former too.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,600,898 times
So chisos basin seems to be in the lead thus far.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
I'd say it was on one of the summits on Hawaii's big island.
It's tropical so it's unlikely to have huge temperature swings. Mauna Kea's record looks like either 9°F or 12°F.

SummitPost : Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM

963 posts, read 2,420,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Found a couple, both in Texas.

Chisos Basin hit -3 on 2/2/1951 during a cold snap that pretty much ruined Texas winter agriculture for years to follow. Chisos is the main camping area of Big Bend N.P. and is a good cold air sink. It is roughly 75 miles closer to the equator than Tallahassee. Not sure what it did in 1899 because weather records don't go back that far. A disclaimer; Chisos Basin is also nearly a mile up.

A better candidate is Tarpley. About 60 miles south of Tallahassee it is only about 1400 feet above MSL. On 2/2/51 (again) it dived to -5. What it may have reached in that awful cold blast of 1899 is unknown.

There are probably other stations further south and lower in elevation yet that do have figures for 1899 and if someone is enterprising enough can probably find one or two.

My source is: Texas
The Feb. 1899 extreme cold spell and blizzard missed most of Texas, tracking from Saskatechwan to the Gulf of Mexico, with the low entering the Gulf in far east Texas. I don't have any stats (with 2 exceptions) - I would guess that there was some serious cold and a substantial amount of snow in, at least, N. Texas. The 2 exceptions - 4 degrees in San Antonio and -1 in Austin.

But all of the stats and observations surrounding that storm focus on its' effects farther east:

The Mississippi River froze to the Gulf of Mexico.

Accumulating snow fell as far south as Tampa.

True blizzard conditions were seen as far south as Biloxi, Mobile and Pensacola.

Flurries fell as far south as Ft. Meyers, FL.

Below zero temperatures were recorded in at least one location in every state east of the Mississippi River. In all of those states except Florida, those temps were in the double digits below zero, and in 2/3 of those states it set an all-time record low that in most cases remains unbroken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather