Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,569,342 times

Advertisements

Cantore surprised by thunder snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times
That gy is more a actors than serious westher man.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,116,957 times
I was close to being the same during that storm. What occurred doesn't occur that often.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,462,586 times
That guy is a tool...

The same thing happened to a BBC weather presenter here in England, but of course they didn't overdramatize it so ridiculously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU7xZfBle1o

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,993,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
That guy is a tool...

The same thing happened to a BBC weather presenter here in England, but of course they didn't overdramatize it so ridiculously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU7xZfBle1o
Weather presenters in America are overly dramatic to drive ratings, apparently very unlike their UK counterparts.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,037,985 times
Thundersnows are rare enough that they're cool to see, and I got excited like that when I saw one this winter.

Then again, I'm impressed to see any thunderstorms in general when they happen (or at least when they happen to be close by and intense enough).

Are you guys disliking that he's getting excited over it (since presumably as a presenter he should have seen lots of them before?) or that he's putting on an act about getting excited over it?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,699,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Weather presenters in America are overly dramatic to drive ratings, apparently very unlike their UK counterparts.
You're not wrong there - I remember watching Fox News when there was a big hurricane making landfall and the presenter was standing right in the middle of it saying something like "OH MY GOD!!!!!! I'VE BEEN TO EIGHT HURRICANES ALREADY AND THIS IS THE BEST DAMN ONE!!!! JUST LOOK AT THAT TREE BEING BLOWN RIGHT OVER!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Personally I thought it was hilarious but I suppose I'd get sick of every piece of weather being presented like that.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,462,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Are you guys disliking that he's getting excited over it (since presumably as a presenter he should have seen lots of them before?) or that he's putting on an act about getting excited over it?

That.

I've seen thundersnow before, in March 2007. It wasn't just the odd flash and rumble either, but a proper "thundersnow-storm" with numerous lightning and thunder, with snow gently falling form the sky. It is cool, but no sane person is going to get THAT excited!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,189,339 times
Living in NE Ohio I have seen thunder and lighting a few times over the years when it was snowing.
Not all that common but it does happen.
Our local weather people mention it and show a clip if they have one of it happening but they don't act like it has never happened before and may not ever happen again.
I can't believe Cantore didn't know about thunder snow as long as he has been a meteoroligist.
I think he just over dramatized an event like all National media do to embellish the news and get attention instead of actualy reporting about something that he supposedly should know about and not act like was going to pee his pants with exitement about something that has been going on occasionaly forever.
Been there, done that. It is uncommon. But it ain't like it never happened before.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 AM

24,478 posts, read 23,188,924 times
I've seen Thunder Snow and while it is pretty rare I just don't get what gets people so excited about it. Heat lightning is more interesting, IMO. And I don't watch the Weather Channel because they hype everything so much and act a little ridiculous when they finally get a storm or weather event. And they don't cover it any better than the major cable networks, they just cover it to death. If I want in depth analysis of upcoming weather patterns I can go to accuweather where they discuss it in detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather