Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

498 posts, read 1,521,227 times

Advertisements

I am 44 and had never experienced thunder and lightening during a snow storm. It is different. I thought we were having an earthquake when I heard the thunder the other day while it was snowing. The lightening hit an apartment complex roof and put holes in it. Is that crazy or what?
Right now it is raining,sleeting,icing,snowing,thundering and I haven't seen any lightening yet today, but boy I mean to tell ya, it's a mess. We are expecting 6 to 10 inches of snow today and tonight. It has been snowing almost every weekend for a while now. I am not sure what the temp is right now. WEll we should be able to produce alot of snowmen.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

In the sticks in Illinois~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,471,819 times
That is unusual weather, but I've seen it, too. It's kind of scary cause it is so odd that you just think the world is going to end. But who knows~the weather is weird in about a third of the country today and it's Super Tuesday. Maybe it is going to end.

I hope you are safe.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM

30 posts, read 162,438 times
It happens all of the time in Kansas.

I had a neighbor who moved here from Boston that said he had never been scared by the weather until his first Kansas thunderstorm.

Yesterday it was 71 in the afternoon and they are talking 6 inches of snow tonight. The weather is always fun in the plains.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 PM

110 posts, read 323,203 times
I remember that happening on occasion when I lived in Michigan. I'm no meteorologist, but I believe it's called "thundersnow" and is caused by the same convection processes as regular thunderstorms.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,438,110 times
I used to live in Weatern Montana, and Thudersnow was very common.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM

110 posts, read 323,203 times
I just found this short article about it: WHAT CAUSES THUNDERSNOW?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
I've seen it in both Michigan and Maine. Several years ago while living in Maine a young man was struck by lightening during a sledding party with family and friends. No rumblings or forewarning, just out of nowhere during the snowstorm it hit. That ended up being quite a storm.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,264,618 times
We had some thunder snow about a week ago here in Northern Michigan.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Unhappy I don't think I like it!!

It is grumbling out now. It just seems like an endless grumble. I have been in Texas storms that I thought I was going to die for sure in, but thundersnow?? Ok, well I have learned something today. We are expected to get up to 28 inches tonight!! Yes, it has changed that fast since my first post. I don't think they know how much we are going to get. Thanks for all the response, I did not know this was so common. They usually keep me penned up so I don't get out much. LOL Good Luck Ya All!! Look for my feet sticking out of a snow drift. LOL I will report tomorrow how much we ended up with over night. That is if my puter is still running by tomorrow.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
I just found this short article about it: WHAT CAUSES THUNDERSNOW?
Thanks azsundevil. It was an interesting little article. My honey explained it to me last night too. I think we can also have winter toranados. That is horrifically scary to me. I thought I'd seen the worst color and speed of clouds I'd ever seen it Texas. I could reach up and my hand went through the black,gray,blue clouds flying at least 100 mile per hour. There was no wind around me, as a matter of fact, I reached down at my ankles for the little white puffy clouds. Talk about scary!!! 21 people died on that highway that day. They got beat to death with softball size hail and flash floods took alot of them. I was supposed to be at that very spot at that very time. Something told me to pull over and get a motel. I stood in the middle of this motel parking lot by myself, calling home to tell my son I love him. I just knew I was gonna die that night. Scariest sky I ever saw.
Oklahoma is another one that can come up with some ugly clouds. Low, low, low. Big, puffy clouds. Scary colors.
Anyways,.........I will let ya all know as soon as I can how much we get tonight. Nighty Night UNITE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather