Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 46,690 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am applying for positions in these three areas. Which one would be best as far as cost of living and raising two kids elementary and middle school age? Major shopping and events are not a concern for us. Just the ability to buy a home 150k or less. Local YMCA, daycare, etc...

Thanks.

Sonja
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
Hoquiam would be my choice.

You can get a house for less than 150K, as Grays Harbor County is in an economic doldrum. Unemployment has been higher than the state average there for a few years, jobs a bit tough the find for many.

On the Coast, so you'd have more gray/rainy days than Yack, but the scenery is pretty good.

Tumwater is nestled up to Olympia. Much more to do there than either of the other two places on your list, but you wouldn't find a house in your price range.

Yakima. Probably my least favorite large town in WA, although many people like it. Not quite semi-arid as it is an agricultural center, but gives the appearance of it. I don't know if it has changed, but the schools had a pretty bad rep for a while. Can get a house in your price range, but you'd have to make real sure of the neighborhood before you buy.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
"A good day in Hoquiam is any day that it's not raining."

Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 46,690 times
sounds like hoquiam is my best bet. I do not care if it rains as long as the air polution is not bad--coming from LA and I hate it here. Originally from MT

Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,818 times
I like the harbor, but housing is really popping right now; a 75% appreciation over the last 5 years alone. Almost anything worth buying is over 150k. Definitely your best area for real estate appreciation.

Tumwater is a dump. Yeah, I live in the harbor and think Tumwater is a dump. That's how bad it is. A truckstop where a bunch of people who couldn't afford Olympia moved to and decided to build a bunch of shoddy houses in.

I really like Yakima though. Different atmosphere there. Just different; can't explain it. It's cityish/smalltownish, urban/country at the same time. In some ways it reminds me of a larger Aberdeen. Lot's to do, lots of people and the housing is very reasonable. You're also driving distance to the Tricities/Seattle and close to skiing etc.

If you're not hellbent on being in close proximity to beaches/rivers/forests, I'd recommend Yakima.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
If I had to do Yakima, I'd live in E-burg and commute to Yakima...well maybe not, maybe I'd live in Selah.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 52,712 times
Default Tumwater

If you have kids, I'd say Tumwater for work and somewhere nearby to live (Lacey/Olympia). Seattle is one hour, the beach is not far, real shopping exists and there are better schools in this area because it is not so economically depressed. There are pluses for the other places, but much more options with kids. The other plus is that their is much more flexibility in terms of switching jobs in this area (state capitol and other employers). The lifestyle would be slower in all places, but much slower and not necessarily in the best way in H or Y.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 93,546 times
If you found a house for 150 in Yakima County. it's probably not in a good school district or neighborhood.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinandhopin View Post
If you found a house for 150 in Yakima County. it's probably not in a good school district or neighborhood.
That's probably true.

And I don't think you'll find anything in the 150k price range in Tumwater.

So, you're right, Sonja, it looks like you've narrowed it down to Hoquiam. Just keep in mind that the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area is pretty well depressed right now.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 PM

45 posts, read 173,968 times
I'd recommend Hoquiam as well. The biggest problem I see is buying any real estate in Washington right now. It is significantly overvalued. Consider these two things which Ryan and Scirroco22 posted:

"...housing is really popping right now; a 75% appreciation over the last 5 years alone."

"...keep in mind that the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area is pretty well depressed right now."

Do you see the problem? Real estate values were hyperinflated due to rampant speculation, and not economic health in the area. Historically, home values represent what local wages can afford. They no longer do. If you purchase a home right now, you are gambling, and will most likely lose big if you need to sell in the near future, unless you have a large down payment. Areas like Hoquiam, Aberdeen and Montesano will be the first to experience price declines, since the economies are so depressed. The areas which have the most jobs will hold up better. It's much better to rent for a year anyway. It gives you the opportunity to see if you like the area, and choose which neighborhood you would like to live in.

Because of the insane run up in housing prices in this country over the course of the last 5-7 years, people have been moving all over the place, desperate to find the last "affordable" place to buy a home. A lot of times, the motivation was fear. Unfortunately, many of them will be sorry, as they will find that prices, in time, will once again return to a level affordable for the average wage earner. They have to. Anyone telling you otherwise is a liar, or a fool. There has never been a better time to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington