Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:44 PM

49 posts, read 91,165 times

Advertisements

Vast surface of the regular internet explorer has brought me here to this Washington State forum.
Hoquiam/Aberdeen: Is it people friendly? Is it friendly at all? From the commnets read on this forum I would believe that it is either the jewel of the Pacific Northwest and is being guarded by its residents like Fort Knox, OR it is the armpit of America and we are being warned of the perils that lay ahead.
Is it really as bad as this forum suggests? Can a simple person with simple plans form a future in either location?
Looking at the location of each, and seeing pictures of each I want to know how a beautiful place has gotten such a reputation. Can anyone tell me if it is true.
I realize that everyone hates something about where they live. No one is happy with oxygen, a roof, food, clothes, job, nature etc. We and I mean WE are always looking for something better, bigger more beautiful then what we have.
I have NOT lived in the PNW for 8 years. I have however lived in the SE for those 8 missing years. I have pondered the thought of staying put, I have pondered the thought of moving. I have weighted the good with the bad and neither won. The area where I live will not be mentioned by name. The million or so people that make up my city are more or less content. There is sun for miles and water for years. I do not like paying to much for something that is not worth it, I do not like having to change jobs every 2 years for growth and I am just plain tired of people trying to keep up with the Jones's.
Hoquiam/Aberdeen may rain to much, smell to much or whatever you say to much.
There has to be someone out there that has something to say that is worth the words they write.
Is there someone, anyone that lives there that has something good to say. Please dont think I want it sugar coated with a side of chocolate, but please there has to be good there, or why do you live there. NO ONE is stuck anywhere with the way things are in this world.
In the end I think that we all will seek something and not know what it is. So around and around we go....
Please send info. Seeking any info. Good, Bad and the Ugly. Jobs, rents, buy, etc
Thank you for everything that you do and have done and will do in the future. We are all in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,110,293 times
Avoiding your assumptions and overgeneralizations, your posting seems to come down to three questions:

- Is it people friendly? Is it friendly at all?”
Seems you answered your own question by stating: From the commnets [sic] read on this forum I would believe that it is...the jewel of the Pacific Northwest and is being guarded by its residents like Fort Knox...” That seems to answer that question. Where there is a community of humans, there is community :-)

- “Can a simple person with simple plans form a future in either location?” We could help you if you provided some information about what kind of plans you would like to fulfill in Hoquiam or Aberdeen. For example, if you want to work for a high-tech company, you will be out of luck unless you can work completely online every day, as the nearest commute (to Olympia) would take at least two and a half hours out of every workday.

- “I want to know how a beautiful place has gotten such a reputation. Can anyone tell me if it is true.” True that this is a beautiful place? Or true that a beautiful place has gotten such a (bad) reputation?

If the latter, this area grew historically as a housing area for loggers, many of whom were bachelors and others who "came west" to seek their fortunes, and wanted only minimal housing conditions, others of whom were poor and could afford only minimal housing conditions. Depressed periods in the timber industry also resulted in inelegant housing conditions. This sort of condition happened everywhere in the west, due to timber work, mining, agriculture, and huge government construction projects.

As a result, along “the beaten paths” in Hoquiam and Aberdeen, the houses are generally small, simple, close together and somewhat old, and as time went on, the houses were bought by absentee landlords or by owners who could afford just a little house on a little lot. Economic pressures over time have largely been the cause of a “bad” reputation for Aberdeen and Hoquiam. As anywhere, economic pressures can cause emotional reactions that result in anger, frustration, drinking, crime, etc.

Today the people who live on those beaten paths are usually just as hard-working as anyone else. And both Aberdeen and Hoquiam are experiencing upward trends in community spirit, land development, city governments, tourism and local businesses, along with a similar trend in all of Washington. And off the beaten paths you will find old and young large, elegant homes impeccably tended, worth lots and lots of money. So people with money, thus without economic pressures, have found and still find the area just as attractive as you do :-)

Old 01-01-2008, 07:41 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,839,678 times
You will find dozens, maybe even hundreds, of opinions on this forum about the area. Except for the obvious chamber of commerce type propaganda posted by those hoping to profit in one way or another by population growth, each opinion is as valid as the next and represents the truth as seen through that particular poster's eyes.

You can only see your truth through your eyes, so if you are considering moving here it would be a good idea to take a couple of weeks off, fly up, rent a car and experience the area for yourself.

--------
My truth about Hoquiam/Aberdeen is that it's a dirty, run down, depressed, has been logging town where it rains all the time.

It is also my most favorite place in the world, and the place I chose to spend my remaining years.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Putting assumptions and overgeneralizations aside that were taken from this forum. I thank Fat Freddy for your words of truth and passion.
We have walked this earth in well worn souls from coast to coast. It is the PNW that is calling us back. Dirty, run down and depressed could be the description of everyones home town. The statement that made it worth while was your last.
I can not see thru the eyes of a stranger, but I can see thru the eyes of someone who still believes that their little neck of the woods is still the best place on earth. Even if we only see what lies above the surface. As long as we can still see what makes us happy.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM

199 posts, read 1,514,839 times
Hi! I live in Westport, which is a beach community about 20 minutes from Aberdeen/Hoquiam, and I thought I would share what I know about Grays Harbor County.
For context, I grew up in Hawaii, lived in LA, then downtown Seattle, and then moved to Westport with my husband when I learned I was pregnant (we didn't want to raise our baby in the City).

Westport is a small beach town. It's a small community, and if you like your peace and quiet, and you like the ocean, this is the place for you. Westport is home to a world class marina, a small grocery store (the Red Apple), an active Senior Center, a decent small school district for k-12, a post office, and a small library. The town comes to life during fishing season, starting in April with the Crab Festival/Crab Races, and going all summer long with various seasons for fishing and various festivals. Even on the busiest, hottest summer day, you can walk out on the beach and be only one of handful of people out there. There are some really great restaurants in town and some fun shopping down on the Marina.

Aberdeen/Hoquiam are the two cities that comprise the Grays Harbor Metro area. This area used to be home to booming fishing and timber industries, and then kind of deteriorated along the 80's and 90's.

Before I came here, I had a pretty negative view of the place, so be prepared for that, especially from the Seattle forum. But its actually a great place to live.

Housing prices are very affordable. You can rent a small home for around $500. For a little more you can actually live in Westport and live walking distance to the beach. If you are looking to buy, there are lots of large lots available - the closer to the beach, the more expensive. I have also seen some great acreage-properties along the many local rivers that are very reasonable.

Weather is slightly milder than Seattle, (with the exception of the 2 - 3 large winter storms a year - like the big wind storm that just blew 80 MPH winds ). It doesn't get quite as hot as Seattle in July and August, and it doesn't get quite as cold as Seattle in January and February. It might snow once or twice a year, but more often than not, it will not snow at all.

Shopping is a little bit of a chore. There is a Safeway and Top Foods in town, but the local mall is kind of depressing. (Except for the new theaters, which are nice). If you want anything other than groceries, walmart or building supplies, you are about 45 minutes away from the nearest Costco, Target or Macy's.

However, the pluses is that you are in a nice small community, no commute, relatively low crime (compared to the city), and you are within 30 minutes to some of the most pristine rain forests, and just a hop skip and a jump from Westport, which has 18 miles of sandy beaches. It is the most popular surf beach north of California, great for fishing, clamming and crabbing, and just a great place to spend your off days.

Other communities you might consider near here are Grayland and Tokeland (south of Westport), Ocosta (on the Bay), and Cosmopolis (outside of South Aberdeen). Elma and Montesano are the inland communities of Grays Harbor

If you want more info on Grays Harbor, let me know, I'm happy to share. Check out the local newspaper (google The Daily World Aberdeen) to look at classifieds for rentals, and local news.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
WestPort. Fond memories. I visited a dear friend there and she was visiting her sister. haha Long story.

But I'll tell you. It's like a good rocking recliner. You can get real comfortable, real fast.

My son and I walked down to the docks and there was a boy, about 12-13 leaning on the rail with a rope in his hand. As we approached, he asked if I wanted to buy some crab. I said, "What you got?" He pulled up a trap with about a dozen crabs in it. Big, lucious crabs. We're talking 18 inches across, body was a good 8 inches across. I said, "How much?" He said, "Sir, I gotta have $2 per crab." I took 4 and gave him a $20. He said "Sir, I don't have change." I said, "Son, I don't need change. Thank you." He then wanted to carry them back for me because I gave him such a big tip. I told him to mind his traps and give somebody else a good deal. He said, "Yes sir."

Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks bmsea and elkhunter:
You are a breath of fresh air. I just knew that there was someone out there that had something to say that was on a positive note.. Granted there are downsides to every place we live, which is the reason why we are all trying to move somewhere else. I just could not believe that these little communities were that bad.
I would love to see any pictures if you have them, I have tried to google images of these little areas but they just dont do justice.
I cant wait to relay these postings to my husband. We too are looking for a place to raise a child, being if we finally beome pregnant. I am so excited.
I will look at the newspaper and try someother sites.
Again thank you. My heart is skipping beats.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 47,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
Hoquiam/Aberdeen: Is it people friendly? Is it friendly at all? From the commnets read on this forum I would believe that it is either the jewel of the Pacific Northwest and is being guarded by its residents like Fort Knox, OR it is the armpit of America and we are being warned of the perils that lay ahead.
Is it really as bad as this forum suggests? Can a simple person with simple plans form a future in either location?
Until recently we lived in Aberdeen. Raised our young children there but when it was time to go to school we knew it was time to leave.

To answer your questions:

Is it friendly? To outsiders and newcomers, emphatically no. One of the reasons they have a bad reputation is they are jerks to people who aren't just like them. (racism is a big problem there too) But once you've been there a bit you can fit in and be accepted and then for the most part people are pretty friendly.

House prices are very cheap and that is a big plus. And the only real shopping there is Wal-Mart so more cheapness to help with costs.

As far as beautiful you must never have been there. It is an ugly town for the most part. There are some very nice blocks with old (for Washington) houses but mostly it's industrial, run-down, or cheap strip mall. The look of the downtown has really improved the last few years if you like quirky art.

The schools are awful. If schools are important look elsewhere. Montesano has a decent school system.

You'll hear lots of this place is wonderful propaganda. And it's true for a very small group of people. Mostly people who are part of the good ol' boy network that runs the towns.

The others you'll hear propaganda from are the chamber of commerce types who have been saying we're getting better for the last 20 years. Newbies fall for it but if you've been hearing the same thing for 20 years eventually most people realize it's garbage.

Weather is miserable. It rains...a LOT. And it never gets hot in the summer. By early evening even in July and August the weather gets damp and cool. So while the high may look like Seattle it only reaches the high for a short time. Beaches are even colder. If you like damp, cool weather you'll love Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Otherwise stay away.

There are very few jobs so I wouldn't expect to move there and then find a good job but I really think it depends on the profession so can't really say anything about that.

If you like the beach have you considered Long Beach or Astoria? Or if you like small towns what about Kelso or Woodland areas?

In short, you'll find people who live in Aberdeen/Hoquiam who love it there, mostly over the age of 50. You'll also find many, many people who USED to live in Aberdeen/Hoquiam and don't plan on going back. When my friends want to make fun of me they introduce me as someone who is from Aberdeen (rather than someone who just lived there for a while). I have yet to have someone say, wow that's great why would you leave?

Good luck on your decision. A Harbor View Inn is a great B&B to stay at if you go down there to check it out. It's in a very nice part of town so you'll be seeing the best Aberdeen has to offer.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,839,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintRocks View Post

...racism is a big problem there too..
Speaking of racism, there is an article in today's Daily World about racism in the high school.

If racism is prevalent among the kids, it is even more common among the adults, and for every incident or attitude that comes to light, there are hundreds more that actually take place that only those directly involved know about.

That could explain why there are so few Black people in Aberdeen/Hoquiam

Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Speaking of racism, there is an article in today's Daily World about racism in the high school.
If racism is prevalent among the kids, it is even more common among the adults, and for every incident or attitude that comes to light, there are hundreds more that actually take place that only those directly involved know about.
That could explain why there are so few Black people in Aberdeen/Hoquiam
So exactly what terrible white racist incidents are occuring there in the Aberdeen area? Are minorities being beaten up, shot at, dragged behind pickups maybe?
I seriously doubt it.
So... is the terrible racism we're talking about here simply bad attitudes, and maybe some racial jokes or slurs? Or at worst, maybe some.. .<gasp>... racist graffiti??
Come on now, let's keep things in perspective. There is no horrible problem with racism in the Grays Harbor area, and what does exist is probably little more than people opinions and viewpoints. Are the thought police going to monitor how and what people think??
The fact of the matter is, some of the worst racism in the country is that of certain minority groups against whites, and it often manifests itself in violent stuff like assault, aggravated assault, rapes, robberies, and, yeah, quite a few murders too. During these crimes it often comes out later that the perpetrator(s) used various racial slurs against the white victim, making the crimes "racist" in nature. These occur at much higher rates than any sort of white-on-minority crime. Check out the FBI/DOJ (department of justice) uniform crime statistics for interracial crime.
I am so tired of the media's never-ending emphasis on mean old whitey, and white "racism", when minority racism is not only more prevalent, but more violent too.
The Grays Harbor area is pretty mellow compared to alot of places in the US. The Daily World newspaper there must be getting pretty desperate if it is trying to uncover and exaggerate white racism there. They're probably just trying to impress the politically-correct crowd at the larger newspapers and media outlets.
And I won't hold my breath waiting for them to do a story on minority racism (and violent crime) against whites. That would be politically incorrect and insensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington