Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

We are cosidering a move to high ground in (probably) Aberdeen Wn've been there and are concerned about the sea of white faces. Here's the skinny. I'm 66 and have parkinsons. Even in sophisticated placesm people act as though I'm mentally disabled. My friend iis 54 and has severe rheumatoid arthritis. We are both scots-irish and cherokee, but spme africcan ancestors gave her dark skin to go with the nativie american bones.
So, would we encounter outright hostility, some welcoming prople, or just be ignored??? Best guesses, please

Last edited by gonewalkabout; 02-19-2008 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: not finished when I hit the key
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 AM

199 posts, read 1,513,163 times
It seems like a very white population out here, but there is some diversity with a lot of native americans (surrounded by the Quinault and Shoalwater Reservations), latinos, and asians (although not as diverse as the Puget Sound area).

I have never seen any outwardly racist behavior (I am mixed race). There was an incident on MySpace with a black student being harassed (Aberdeen High Students), which can be a red flag.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsea View Post
It seems like a very white population out here, but there is some diversity with a lot of native americans (surrounded by the Quinault and Shoalwater Reservations), latinos, and asians (although not as diverse as the Puget Sound area).

I have never seen any outwardly racist behavior (I am mixed race). There was an incident on MySpace with a black student being harassed (Aberdeen High Students), which can be a red flag.

I agree. ^

I don't think you'd have anything to be concerned about.

Actually, the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area is more diverse than most think. If you look at even the 2000 census data for Aberdeen, whites are less than 90% ...about 85%. Personally, I consider a town with less than 90% white, "relatively" diverse because I've seen plenty of towns and cities above that figure.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Gonewalkabout, I don't have an answer for your question, but I've GOT to say -- Scots-Irish and Cherokee, plus African -- the two of you must have the most beautiful faces on Earth!! Thank you for your post; you've given me a glorious picture to imagine, as well as two fascinating histories to imagine. :-) Thank you!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 PM

14 posts, read 68,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsea View Post

I have been here since 1975 and I completely agree with this assessment. I didn't know about the MySpace thing, but people on the Internet often "act out" in ways they do not in real life. One of my closest high school friends was a "person of color" and she and her brothers never had any hassles here. Her family, which was a white German mother and a black father, was very much respected here.

Bmsea is right that there are quite a few Native Americans here. Their culture is well embraced here as well. There are increasing numbers of Hispanics here, too. Yes, there are a lot of white people here, but I don't believe the town is racist in any way, shape, or form.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM

14 posts, read 68,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post
We are cosidering a move to high ground in (probably) Aberdeen Wn've been there and are concerned about the sea of white faces. Here's the skinny. I'm 66 and have parkinsons. Even in sophisticated placesm people act as though I'm mentally disabled. My friend iis 54 and has severe rheumatoid arthritis. We are both scots-irish and cherokee, but spme africcan ancestors gave her dark skin to go with the nativie american bones.
So, would we encounter outright hostility, some welcoming prople, or just be ignored??? Best guesses, please
Just a P.S. Unless you live in the Aberdeen Hills, you won't exactly be on "high ground". Aberdeen is about 20 feet above sea level; but there are some nice living areas in the hills.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,502 times
Default Aberdeen/Hoquiam - people of color???

Thank you, we feel better < big smile>

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 70,085 times
I was born and raised in Aberdeen, and my family is still there. As in other places, you run into people who dislike anyone who is different, but the majority aren't like that and will welcome you warmly. Enjoy the Harbor, it's a great place that I still miss very much...

Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
In Aberdeen/Hoquiam, Hispanics or Indians are plentiful, but Black people are pretty rare. You might go for a month or two and never see one.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,010 times
Probably mostly ignored. I have seen very little discrimination against people of other races in our area. If its out there I have not heard of it or seen it myself. I have a grand daughter of mixed race and have not seen any discrimination. I use to volunteer at the public schools and we had several children of color there and I did not see any discrimination.

Last edited by SHIRLENE49; 12-08-2014 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: word in wrong place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington