Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 10:27 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,764,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those areas weren't any different under his predecessor. Vote him back into office, and you'll see. However, most people living in those places remember full well.
I'll agree to disagree lol. We had a better economy, inflation hadn't gone nuts. But soft on crime/drugs legislation passed in 2018-2019 and then the way the state handled the pandemic is the cause of what we have today. Orange vs. Potato, anyone better is smart enough to avoid politics... Have you been up here recently? Not just passing through on I-5 but actually spent some time here, shop a bit, take in the sights, fentanyl and burning garbage smoke?

People in the know, would answer the bolded "why the hell would I?".
You wouldn't believe how "deep" it's getting and how much doesn't make the news. Sure, some isolated residential areas are mainly unaffected, but many others are like "Biff's Bellingham".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 10:33 AM

102,395 posts, read 108,733,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I'll agree to disagree lol. We had a better economy, inflation hadn't gone nuts. But soft on crime/drugs legislation passed in 2018-2019 and then the way the state handled the pandemic is the cause of what we have today. Orange vs. Potato, anyone better is smart enough to avoid politics... Have you been up here recently? Not just passing through on I-5 but actually spent some time here, shop a bit, take in the sights, fentanyl and burning garbage smoke?

People in the know, would answer the bolded "why the hell would I?".
You wouldn't believe how "deep" it's getting and how much doesn't make the news. Sure, some isolated residential areas are mainly unaffected, but many others are like "Biff's Bellingham".
Yes, actually, I have been up there. Friends showed me around town, and we had a great time. Didn't see any of the stuff you're talking about. And btw, the legislation that was passed was under the Orange administration.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, actually, I have been up there. Friends showed me around town, and we had a great time. Didn't see any of the stuff you're talking about. And btw, the legislation that was passed was under the Orange administration.
Sigh. Let me guess...you visited downtown after the "cleanup" that shifted the camps out along the meridian St. corridor?
Legislation was made at the state level, almost, I feel, to spite Mr. Orange in a "If we can't be captain we'll sink the ship" move by Washingtons super-majority party.
We have "Bellingham Metro News" and "Bellingham has gone to ****", which have amassed about 1/3rd of the population in followers now, for those who want to get their heads out of the sand and see the pictures, videos, and police reports that are the new reality of Bellingham.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,956,920 times
Quote:
Sigh. Let me guess...you visited downtown after the "cleanup" that shifted the camps out along the meridian St. corridor?
Legislation was made at the state level, almost, I feel, to spite Mr. Orange in a "If we can't be captain we'll sink the ship" move by Washingtons super-majority party.
We have "Bellingham Metro News" and "Bellingham has gone to ****", which have amassed about 1/3rd of the population in followers now, for those who want to get their heads out of the sand and see the pictures, videos, and police reports that are the new reality of Bellingham.
Quick question: Do you visit the worst part of every new town you visit when you travel? The idea that the entirety of Bellingham is a complete hellscape is comical. It's not, and many parts of town are actually nicer than they've ever been. Heck, you can cut down your exposure to Bellingham's bad side by about half if you don't walk behind Wal-mart, which is easy for most people to do.

The FB groups that you've brought up have the journalistic integrity of an old shoe. I'm a follower of both, and it's interesting to see what's on there. Most of the people on "Bellingham has gone to ...." don't live in the city and I'd bet money have never visited more than 5% of Bellingham. They mostly come from the county or are longtime residents mad at change and growth at the place they associated with a simpler time. They're all hopped up on nostalgia. They're mostly mad at society changing, and dislike every city. So, sometimes it's just a matter of preference that they turn their nose up at.

Now, that's not to say that there's not shady stuff going on in some parts of town, or that there aren't legitimate gripes. That's not to say that there's not a homeless problem, or a drug problem and a homeless problem (yes, I've seen videos of the camps, and some are awful). Petty crime needs to be addressed, for sure- there needs to be stronger punishment for repeat offenders, who cause a disproportionate amount of vandalism and theft. But again, to suggest as some do that the whole city- or any of the other cities vilified ad infinitum by outrage media- have no nice parts or are uninhabitable- is total hogwash.

"Isolated areas of the city are unaffected"? Give me a break. I live smack in the middle of the city, near downtown. My wife and I continue to walk/bike all hours of the day through the exact area that apparently drives terror into the hearts of the country folk. I guess you and the other doom-loopers must think that we're the toughest people ever, which is flattering. So here's an offer- if you need a bodyguard to walk you through downtown, maybe my wife and I can help...

Believe it or not, I'm all for a new jail, increases in new mental health, criminal, and housing efforts to improve the situation. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself living in or visiting our city. Believe it or not, I also agree with you completely about the housing situation being a serious issue, needing to figure out "missing middle" housing, and needing to find a safe place for many types of workers to live. But those issues are not incongruent with the idea that it's a desirable place to live. I've experienced it elsewhere. You want to know where? Other desirable places to live. We still are, with warts like everywhere else.

Last edited by bartonizer; 10-16-2023 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 10:11 PM

102,395 posts, read 108,733,005 times
Bartonizer's back! YAY!

Old 10-17-2023, 01:16 AM

309 posts, read 184,656 times
Bellingham has been resilient because of people moving here but the homeless problems are as bad as ever. It's a reflection of the rest of the country, bad but not a lost cause if get new leadership. Bellingham is blessed with good nature etc which keeps people moving here even if they're only the more rich demograhic.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:02 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,515,108 times
Quote:
Bellingham Safeway is easily one of the most expensive markets and is always very short on staff and short on product. I think often the product is there, but there is no one to put it on the shelves.
We placed an online order, were told it was ready. When we got there only a fraction of it had been pulled and was mixed in with someone else's order. There was a deli special for fried chicken and rolls, and a deal on steaks but all the chicken and steaks were gone. I went back to the meat counter area to try to find something and the meat counter was mostly empty and stunk. One person was running the entire curbside pickup they said the rest of the entire shift for pulling grocery orders was a no show. Ended up picking out some of our stuff, and they credited the cost back and let us just have it(only $25 worth out of a $200 order, but decent of them anyway).
The residents and gov't of Bellingham are starting to see that if you want to be waited on, have groceries on the shelves, be cared for in the hospital, have your oil changed, or your car repaired, that those workers need an affordable (and safe-see news on Tullwood Apt's) place to live. There was an article released on another "venue" over the weekend that estimated we'd need 2000 new units a year for 5 years just to catch up with population growth. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix, and the "empty middle" has hit critical stage.
We just returned from a 5 week camping trip. We stopped at the Safeway in Burns, Oregon. The store was busy on a Friday morning due to hunting season as hunters stocked up (lots of camo). Despite the crowds, the shelves were not empty and produce and meats were fresh. They had adequate employees and everyone was helpful and friendly. The prices were comparable to Bellingham.

While on our trip to mostly the Great Basin area and parts of Idaho and Montana, we always felt safe. No visible homeless or drug addicts. No crowds in the forests or other public lands. It was refreshing.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Ruth, I don’t think you really took a look around. I avoid going into town unless I absolutely have to (medical appts, groceries or banking). Drive down Holly Street, stop at the Bellingham Public Library (Wicked Witch of the west lives by the kids’ entrance), check out behind Walmart, or by the Northside Fred Meyers. It is NOT the Bellingham you saw.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Bartonizer's back! YAY!
Just another “head in the sand” denier. Elections have consequences and, I am afraid, Bellingham is still asleep. The mayor has no clue and one of the city council members thinks that trespassing on private property to sleep should not be illegal. You live here your entire life and you notice the change that new residents don’t. Prices have escalated so much, you couldn’t afford to live here unless you get roomies.

Old 10-17-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Quick question: Do you visit the worst part of every new town you visit when you travel? The idea that the entirety of Bellingham is a complete hellscape is comical. It's not, and many parts of town are actually nicer than they've ever been. Heck, you can cut down your exposure to Bellingham's bad side by about half if you don't walk behind Wal-mart, which is easy for most people to do.

The FB groups that you've brought up have the journalistic integrity of an old shoe. I'm a follower of both, and it's interesting to see what's on there. Most of the people on "Bellingham has gone to ...." don't live in the city and I'd bet money have never visited more than 5% of Bellingham. They mostly come from the county or are longtime residents mad at change and growth at the place they associated with a simpler time. They're all hopped up on nostalgia. They're mostly mad at society changing, and dislike every city. So, sometimes it's just a matter of preference that they turn their nose up at.

Now, that's not to say that there's not shady stuff going on in some parts of town, or that there aren't legitimate gripes. That's not to say that there's not a homeless problem, or a drug problem and a homeless problem (yes, I've seen videos of the camps, and some are awful). Petty crime needs to be addressed, for sure- there needs to be stronger punishment for repeat offenders, who cause a disproportionate amount of vandalism and theft. But again, to suggest as some do that the whole city- or any of the other cities vilified ad infinitum by outrage media- have no nice parts or are uninhabitable- is total hogwash.

"Isolated areas of the city are unaffected"? Give me a break. I live smack in the middle of the city, near downtown. My wife and I continue to walk/bike all hours of the day through the exact area that apparently drives terror into the hearts of the country folk. I guess you and the other doom-loopers must think that we're the toughest people ever, which is flattering. So here's an offer- if you need a bodyguard to walk you through downtown, maybe my wife and I can help...

Believe it or not, I'm all for a new jail, increases in new mental health, criminal, and housing efforts to improve the situation. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself living in or visiting our city. Believe it or not, I also agree with you completely about the housing situation being a serious issue, needing to figure out "missing middle" housing, and needing to find a safe place for many types of workers to live. But those issues are not incongruent with the idea that it's a desirable place to live. I've experienced it elsewhere. You want to know where? Other desirable places to live. We still are, with warts like everywhere else.
Agree with most. The simple truth is, it doesn't have to be that way. But much of the local and state gov't is just doing nothing or making everything even worse. At a certain point, "desirable" goes down the drain when there is too much BS involved in what made that place desirable. That point, will vary by person, no? Kudo's to you and all the others with more tolerance for it, but consider that your tolerance is the biggest part of the problem?
It's pretty common to hear on the scanner that a homeless druggie has knocked down, stabbed, and/or picked a fight with a bicyclist or pedestrian. Or maybe you come out of your favorite watering hole to find your bike lock cut and your bikes gone. Bellingham has the market cornered on high end bike parts, consult your nearest camp...it's almost comedic to watch a bicycle left chained up somewhere get smaller and smaller by the hour.
Be thankful you aren't paying $1,800+ a month to be awoke by gunshots, burning plastic shopping carts, tires, and garbage.....Tullwood Apartments/Camp Walmart=one of the most dangerous places in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington