Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 12:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,951,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
to point out the ugly side of Bellingham that you ignore
So, just to recap, I'm ignoring issues in the area and shouldn't like living in Whatcom County because a person claiming to be an environmentalist didn't trust a technological advancement developed by dairy farmers that turns cow manure into clean water? Um, what? Are you serious? Please elaborate your position on this issue.

As to many of the other one-off crimes that you post; well ANY crime concerns me, and I want to see punished for committing them. That said, I don't think anyone moves here from a place where zero crime happens, and many of the things you post aren't unusual or unheard of in other places, so I'm not sure why you keep putting them up. Take, for example, your last post about police pursuits. It's an issue with mixed perspectives across the country- with many states and municipalities having similar laws on the books restricting high speed chases for the safety of the community. In this case, it's a WA policy that you're mentioning. Why not put it on the WA forum? Why hold Bellingham alone responsible for it?

Last edited by bartonizer; 09-06-2022 at 01:22 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 05:15 PM

5,750 posts, read 4,357,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I agree. These prices are the result of more than a decade of starving the housing market, "

Wrong. The problem is that too many effing people moved to Bellingham and expected houses to magically appear for them, and that problem is decades old. Housing was reasonable and available when I went to college there, but then Bellingham was "discovered"

Old 09-08-2022, 06:00 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,757,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Wrong. The problem is that too many effing people moved to Bellingham and expected houses to magically appear for them, and that problem is decades old. Housing was reasonable and available when I went to college there, but then Bellingham was "discovered"
Of course, however you want to look at it, not enough houses or too many people moving here.
38% more since 2000. All into pretty much the same infrastructure. Our section of I-5 through town is the 2nd most traveled to the Everett/US-2 interchange, yet its the same two lanes as when it was completed in 1969. The Orchard street connector(aka Methville St.) was the first improvement to cross I-5 in Bellingham since it was built.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Here is a link for Simon Sefzic's video Q&A regarding the homeless/crime situation in Bellingham, also flooding issues(the Nooksack River needs to be dredged). Word is the homeless camp behind Walmart is has spread into a wetlands/wildlife reserve and is some 60 acres large. It's getting all too common to have them shooting or stabbing each other and/or attacking people and stealing or prowling cars in the parking lot, my entire family avoids the area all together. Even the Police don't go into this camp area without going in "heavy" and with K-9 units.

https://www.facebook.com/SimonForWA/...1C&ref=sharing

Old 09-08-2022, 09:07 PM

362 posts, read 592,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Here is a link for Simon Sefzic's video Q&A regarding the homeless/crime situation in Bellingham, also flooding issues(the Nooksack River needs to be dredged). Word is the homeless camp behind Walmart is has spread into a wetlands/wildlife reserve and is some 60 acres large. It's getting all too common to have them shooting or stabbing each other and/or attacking people and stealing or prowling cars in the parking lot, my entire family avoids the area all together. Even the Police don't go into this camp area without going in "heavy" and with K-9 units.

https://www.facebook.com/SimonForWA/...1C&ref=sharing
60 acres?seems insane..i bet theres a law if you build a storage shed on your own wetlands they fine you

the libs on these threads will ignore the truth and just vote in the same dum dems

Old 09-10-2022, 12:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUQY0jfQTM

Yes, here is the full nearly 4 HOUR bodycam video when BPD went into the camp searching for an armed suspect.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:01 AM

362 posts, read 592,214 times
https://www.historylink.org/File/741

poor people in seattle 1931

thank you democrats

Old 09-19-2022, 12:23 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,728,781 times
Bellingham's downtown sidewalks were remarkably free of homeless people this weekend. They might have moved to camps elsewhere in town. The homeless vehicles at the overlooks above Boulevard Park were also gone from that area. I didn't go down by Marine Park (that area had a lot of homeless last time I was there). Maybe some of the homeless migrate south for the winter? I don't know if the city had them move along. It looked way worse last year.

On another note, the Prius in the parking space next to us made a big roar when it started, because it was missing its catalytic converter...

And further thoughts: Every twenty-something I know who is living in town (recent grads, students) has their parents subsidizing their rent, even with roommates. The jobs don't pay enough to live on.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Bellingham's downtown sidewalks were remarkably free of homeless people this weekend. They might have moved to camps elsewhere in town. The homeless vehicles at the overlooks above Boulevard Park were also gone from that area. I didn't go down by Marine Park (that area had a lot of homeless last time I was there). Maybe some of the homeless migrate south for the winter? I don't know if the city had them move along. It looked way worse last year.

On another note, the Prius in the parking space next to us made a big roar when it started, because it was missing its catalytic converter...

And further thoughts: Every twenty-something I know who is living in town (recent grads, students) has their parents subsidizing their rent, even with roommates. The jobs don't pay enough to live on.
I would suspect they have been getting some help "moving along" as the Walmart homeless camp video went viral locally, and brought a lot of attention to something our local gov't was trying to pass off as not being a big deal while crime has exploded here. There are still plenty of issues with them though, a man threw a 25# chunk of railroad tie through the windshield of a police vehicle driving along Lincoln over the weekend. He'd had 26 citations, 15 arrests, and 8 warrants out for his arrest.

Rents continue to amaze me, we just saw a 1 bed 680 sq/ft apartment on State St. listed for $2,150 a month. The only thing that is driving the average listed sale price down on homes/condo's is that people are flipping their units they bought when several apartment buildings were converted to condo's and sold off as landlords fought the "free rent" moratorium. These are priced in the $300k-$400k range and most of them are tiny and adjacent to one of the cities biggest problem apartments where the state places homeless people and they are/were openly making meth in several of them.
We're nipping at the heals of Seattle prices on Bellingham wages(1/2 the average).

Old 09-19-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
https://www.historylink.org/File/741

poor people in seattle 1931

thank you democrats
It will be "Bidenville's" this winter. A recession/depression is in the cards all the signs are there, and the more inflated you are the further you can fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington