Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 08:56 AM

15,054 posts, read 12,694,317 times

Advertisements

Heads up. More rain coming tomorrow. And when he says more... He means.... perhaps quite a lot. :-)

February 26, 2022
Very Heavy Rain and Flooding Coming to the Northwest
For those thinking that a lamb-like spring was coming early, think again.
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/...coming-to.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 11:49 AM

8,265 posts, read 16,926,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Heads up. More rain coming tomorrow. And when he says more... He means.... perhaps quite a lot. :-)

[/b]
Glad to see the PNW is not drying out any time soon.

It looks like the east side will be 'mild' by comparison. Even old Ellensburg everyone has been saying how cold and windy it is will be warmer and drier than western WA. Once March rolls around along with spring, it seems that the east side of the state really comes into some of its best weather between the extremes of winter's cold and summer heat. I've enjoyed some nice early season hiking out east.

Derek

Old 02-27-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Glad to see the PNW is not drying out any time soon.

I did try to tell you that you needn't worry about that this early in the year.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I did try to tell you that you needn't worry about that this early in the year.
Time will tell. I hoping this year will be one with enough snow and rain to sustain us through summer's dry fire season. This rain is definitely a good thing either way.

Derek

Old 02-28-2022, 10:36 AM

I’ve been slacking on my Weather pictures… But here you are… rainy and wet :-)

And a weather update from Cliff about this pineapple Xpress event:
February 27, 2022

A Major Precipitation Event Has Begun

The atmospheric river has reached the Pacific Northwest and moderate rain has spread across much of the region.
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/...has-begun.html

Our flooding down below had almost dried up. We may get a little rise now from local runoff, but The Chehalis probably won't flood much from this event, so our creek will probably not be greatly affected either. Only minor flooding. This is an event where the source of the river really matters, and they are predicting most of the major flooding from this one to come from rapid snowpack melt in the Cascades.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-ac7fd3ad-8698-4d30-a6a3-e2b0cef787f9.jpeg  

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-28-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-28-2022, 11:01 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,764,276 times
It's really coming down. I was soaked after being out doing stuff for a few minutes in a hoodie. It's a day for serious rain gear unless you're in Sequim or other parts of the rain shadow.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:23 AM

Indeed. Very wet out. Might be some slides around.

We fed our animals in the barn today and they don't seem eager to go out.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Indeed. Very wet out. Might be some slides around.

We fed our animals in the barn today and they don't seem eager to go out.
It's wet here as well in Vancouver but also warming up into the upper 50s today. So, it doesn't feel like winter outside.

Just curious, do the animals tend to prefer dry and colder like last week over wet and warmer like today?

Derek

Old 02-28-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It's wet here as well in Vancouver but also warming up into the upper 50s today. So, it doesn't feel like winter outside.

Just curious, do the animals tend to prefer dry and colder like last week over wet and warmer like today?

Derek
Well, that's the thing about these "atmospheric rivers". We used to call them "Pineapple Expresses" because they come straight from the South Pacific and they're usually wet, but unseasonably warm.

It's much easier to manage horses with cold, than with wet. Cold is cold but clean. Wet is mud and a mess. Lots of horses are out today and they'd survive, but ours are spoiled and don't seem to mind staying in with a free supply of hay and a window they can hang their head over and look around and stay dry, instead of getting soaked all day and bringing a lot of wet back in with them.

The GOATS feel they would die in the rain.

Sheep don't care, but who wants to be around a wet sheep? So they're in too.

Chickens are the most all-weather. They will go out no matter what. I've watched them get blown and rolled across the yard and get up and resume scratching.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-28-2022 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 05:47 PM

5,279 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Any time a drought is even remotely possible you will probably see us CA transplants get nervous .

My yard still needs work to fix the damage.
I need to wait and see if some rhododendrons and other plants will comeback before I cull them.

Today I heard of a new weather term….it’s called a rain bomb.
It was used to describe the rain storm in Australia.
Those people got hit bad.

It might be an old term.
I just never noticed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington