Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,940,251 times

Advertisements

Wow, now people are holding it against Bellingham that big discount grocery stores are busy all the time? It's not news that we live 20 miles from the Canadian border, or that we're a retail hub for British Columbians. We have been for a while, and their business is an important part of our local economy.

This thread is a joke. This topic in particular is just another thing to gripe about, and not even a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
Ruth, the issue is "3 years ago". Much like the 2004-2007 era, we're experiencing massive population growth. At rush hour in the morning/evening, stop and go is pretty normal now on I-5 in both directions. For example, I went to Safeway after work last night, and its ONE exit(one mile) away on I-5. It took me 14 minutes to get there, 4 minutes to run inside only to find out what I wanted was all gone, and another 10 minutes to get back on I-5. Word is, we've grown about 6000 more people since the fall of 2017-2018 and I'd take a wild guess that since then we've seen 3000 more on top of that. Some may thumb their nose at that, but in a city of our size it's a 10% increase and on roads that are already noted by the state at 150%+ capacity at many pinch points it's certainly noticed.
Whole Foods is borderline hectic, we have one on Lakeway. For now, it seems like I can always get a parking spot and get in there and out pretty quick(I like their Pizza). Then again that's because I get a right turn into the place and a right turn out. People trying to exit that parking lot heading west/south have to make a left and often get trapped in the parking lot because Lakeway and Lincoln backup well past the exits of the parking lot.
Cost wise, yes it's a big factor. I can aggressively shop the deals at the cheaper stores and get a weeks worth of groceries, whereas the same $$$ doesn't go 2-3 days at more expensive places. And yes I have to, because housing is just too expensive even as an above average wage earner.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 01-08-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Ruth, the issue is "3 years ago". Much like the 2004-2007 era, we're experiencing massive population growth. At rush hour in the morning/evening, stop and go is pretty normal now on I-5 in both directions. For example, I went to Safeway after work last night, and its ONE exit(one mile) away on I-5. It took me 14 minutes to get there, 4 minutes to run inside only to find out what I wanted was all gone, and another 10 minutes to get back on I-5. Word is, we've grown about 6000 more people since the fall of 2017-2018 and I'd take a wild guess that since then we've seen 3000 more on top of that. Some may thumb their nose at that, but in a city of our size it's a 10% increase and on roads that are already noted by the state at 150%+ capacity at many pinch points it's certainly noticed.
Whole Foods is borderline hectic, we have one on Lakeway. For now, it seems like I can always get a parking spot and get in there and out pretty quick(I like their Pizza). Then again that's because I get a right turn into the place and a right turn out. People trying to exit that parking lot heading west/south have to make a left and often get trapped in the parking lot because Lakeway and Lincoln backup well past the exits of the parking lot.
Cost wise, yes it's a big factor. I can aggressively shop the deals at the cheaper stores and get a weeks worth of groceries, whereas the same $$$ doesn't go 2-3 days at more expensive places. And yes I have to, because housing is just too expensive even as an above average wage earner.
Thanks for filling in the picture.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow. I encountered nothing remotely like that at the co-ops and organic grocers. I think I was in 3 different stores when I was there 3 years ago, and there were no crowds, nothing that looked unusual. No long waits. I guess most shoppers go to the big chain grocers, because they're cheaper? So they attract the swarms? I guess if people's income is out of synch with housing costs, they're all forced to pinch pennies and herd into the lower-price stores?

Is there a While Foods? Maybe some of these stores will open an additional location. There's a clear demand.
I read this thinking they sound snobby, then was surprised to see Ruth4Truth wrote it. ha. I shop even at Grocery Outlet. I go to Whole foods sometimes but there are 5 or 6 other good places for food, all cheaper than Whole Foods.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Winco is great. There are also a couple ethnic stores I can easily spend a few 20s.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I read this thinking they sound snobby, then was surprised to see Ruth4Truth wrote it. ha. I shop even at Grocery Outlet. I go to Whole foods sometimes but there are 5 or 6 other good places for food, all cheaper than Whole Foods.
No, not snobby. I was in B'ham with a friend, and she's into co-ops and organic grocers. I pretty much am, too, so I enjoyed the experience. Now, running into this discussion of jammed grocery stores, I was trying puzzle out what it was about (after someone told me which ones were being discussed, first. I had no clue). It's a sign of all the fairly sudden changes in the city, apparently. Now I can better understand why people are miffed about so many newcomers. That's sad.

It's a learning curve, for those of us who aren't from there.

Hmm.... Does this mean y'all don't want me, amongst the hordes? Good thing I haven't decided yet, exactly where I want to go, I guess....

Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM

122 posts, read 190,312 times
Actually, Costco stores -everywhere- are busy. In the PNW alone, I have visited Costcos in Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Burlington, Bellingham, Richmond BC and Vancouver. And you know what? THEY ARE ALL BUSY AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN! Actually, the new Bellingham store is fantastic - with tons of parking, lots of gas bays including diesel, and wide aisles.

The same is true for Walmart. You know exactly what you're in for parking- and hassle-wise when you visit one.

And Safeway? I'm sure you can park at the front door. My worry with traditional grocers, including them, is that they have *enough* customers so that they can make a healthy profit and continue to stay in business.

Bellingham has so many grocery stories that at some point there is bound to be consolidation. Enjoy it while you can. And make sure to support the local grocers who give back to the community when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Ruth, Baldy's point is that you can go to a grocery store, pretty much any time during the day, and they are in FULL SWARM with people. Last year I let my guard down and renewed my Costco card, what a mistake that was. Well, the store is so busy that even at 10:45am on a Thursday *well before the holiday season* I had to wait for someone else to leave to get a parking spot, all the checkouts were backed up with long lines through the checkout area and into the goods, and the deli/food court was full and there was no where to sit. It took me 80 minutes to go 2 exits, get a car battery and a pizza to share with a couple co-workers, and get back to work. The story repeats at other stores. Winco, Fred Meyer, Walmart, and Safeway.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Actually, Costco stores -everywhere- are busy. In the PNW alone, I have visited Costcos in Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Burlington, Bellingham, Richmond BC and Vancouver. And you know what? THEY ARE ALL BUSY AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN! Actually, the new Bellingham store is fantastic - with tons of parking, lots of gas bays including diesel, and wide aisles.

The same is true for Walmart. You know exactly what you're in for parking- and hassle-wise when you visit one.

And Safeway? I'm sure you can park at the front door. My worry with traditional grocers, including them, is that they have *enough* customers so that they can make a healthy profit and continue to stay in business.

Bellingham has so many grocery stories that at some point there is bound to be consolidation. Enjoy it while you can. And make sure to support the local grocers who give back to the community when you can.
That's what I keep thinking about where I currently live, in NM. A city of 70,000, not counting the tourist season, and it has 3 Albertson's, two Smith's, 2 Sprouts, one large Whole Foods, A Natural Grocers (Colorado chain), a co-op, a couple of small neighborhood independent grocers....am I leaving anyone out? Oh, Wal-Mart and its bulk-purchase store (its version of Costco).

It's a lot of stores for a small population. They all seem to be going pretty strong. I don't understand it.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, not snobby. I was in B'ham with a friend, and she's into co-ops and organic grocers. I pretty much am, too, so I enjoyed the experience. Now, running into this discussion of jammed grocery stores, I was trying puzzle out what it was about (after someone told me which ones were being discussed, first. I had no clue). It's a sign of all the fairly sudden changes in the city, apparently. Now I can better understand why people are miffed about so many newcomers. That's sad.

It's a learning curve, for those of us who aren't from there.

Hmm.... Does this mean y'all don't want me, amongst the hordes? Good thing I haven't decided yet, exactly where I want to go, I guess....

The grocery stores definitely are jammed during peak times but my solution is not to shop during peak time, or just deal with it and enjoy the crowd. Being a new-comer here myself (I came late October) I had a couple of subtle experiences where I felt the locals aren't thrilled of how the area is changing due to population growth and new-comers. The populaton of Whatcom county isn't half as large as where I grew up so I don't see crowds as something bad. I think it's good.

On the other hand I'm sure many realize how many of their friends are from California or somewhere else. They should be use to new people like from Canada who help support local businesses.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The grocery stores definitely are jammed during peak times but my solution is not to shop during peak time, or just deal with it and enjoy the crowd. Being a new-comer here myself (I came late October) I had a couple of subtle experiences where I felt the locals aren't thrilled of how the area is changing due to population growth and new-comers. The populaton of Whatcom county isn't half as large as where I grew up so I don't see crowds as something bad. I think it's good.

On the other hand I'm sure many realize how many of their friends are from California or somewhere else. They should be use to new people like from Canada who help support local businesses.
No, we locals are not thrilled with all the newcomers and population growth. As a fifth generation local, my hometown is growing out of control. What I do not appreciate is all the homeless. One murdered a friend and another charged people with a machete and shot at police with a crossbow. He was also camping out in a local park illegally. And, I also do not like the SJWs who tell us we are priveleged to be SFH owners and that we need to embrace “diversity” whatever that is. One told me I needed to “own” it. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington