Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 02:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
You would not believe the house-flipping horrors I've seen lately. Worst than ten years ago, if you can believe that. Yesterday's job was a mess and sold for almost $500k. I wouldn't have bought it, period. I'd sell my humble hovel, but I don't have another move in me. I think.

Our job scene is a disaster. The smelter shutting down will directly affect a thousand people. In a county of 200k, that's considerable. The food service industry was keeping our (white) unskilled labor working, but since that's hurting, the twerps are doing crime now. They don't know how to use a shovel or hammer and I don't think they would if they could. t's getting meaner in this county. Just plain mean.

To say Bellingham--Whatcom County--is in a bursting bubble would be accurate.
Another contradictory, illogical observation about Bellingham. On one hand, you talk about people flipping houses and others spending far too much money on homes for what they're worth. Clearly there's a demand for them. On the other hand, you talk about Bellingham and surrounding areas being in a bursting bubble, which clearly isn't the case- at least when it comes to housing. These two thoughts don't add up.

Yes, COVID is affecting local businesses everywhere in the country- and sometimes quite severely in places that relied traffic affected by the pandemic. But well paid remote workers have been and will continue to be a growing and substantial part of the economy here- especially as many companies no longer have in person attendance requirements. A Seattle tech worker can take their six figure income and get a 30-40% reduction on housing cost, relatively little traffic, and proximity to mountains and sea by simply moving 50-100 miles away. And the demand continues for retirees that want an active lifestyle and somewhat urban but not big city amenities. It's not that difficult to understand, yet I'm always amazed that several people on these threads refuse to acknowledge the realities of what's going on here.

The other thing that perplexes me is why people like yourself spend so much time trashing Bellingham but not moving elsewhere. You hint at being a homeowner here, and if that's true, you could certainly cash in some equity from the appreciation on your investment that would MORE than pay for your move to Florida that you've been talking about forever. After all, there are PLENTY of cheaper, more conservative places to live in FL and around the country.

So I get that it's no longer a place that you like living in, and that you're politics don't align with the general progressive mentality in town. But why not do something about it and move? I mean, even places close by like Ferndale and Lynden would seem to be much more suitable for you. Instead you and a couple other posters seem to just derive enjoyment from complaining. Why torture yourself? Bellingham isn't going to turn into a more conservative place just because you don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 05:44 AM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
You would not believe the house-flipping horrors I've seen lately. Worst than ten years ago, if you can believe that. Yesterday's job was a mess and sold for almost $500k. I wouldn't have bought it, period. I'd sell my humble hovel, but I don't have another move in me. I think.

Our job scene is a disaster. The smelter shutting down will directly affect a thousand people. In a county of 200k, that's considerable. The food service industry was keeping our (white) unskilled labor working, but since that's hurting, the twerps are doing crime now. They don't know how to use a shovel or hammer and I don't think they would if they could. t's getting meaner in this county. Just plain mean.

To say Bellingham--Whatcom County--is in a bursting bubble would be accurate.
Bellingham just made a top 10 list for most expensive midsize city in the US. The income to home value ratio is 6.6. I think there's a hard housing crash, maybe a prolonged one coming in the next few months. I think fewer people are able to live here compared to before simply because there are several cheaper places in Washington. Too many places are closing down to support home values.

I also see people acting lazy, taking their job for granted. The general public is clueless and won't be ready. They bought a house during a bubble and take days off from work because they think their fever from getting drunk all weekend may be coronavirus. The bubble is due to investors more than good jobs.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM

335 posts, read 421,094 times
I love Bellingham, but the city (and Whatcom county) need to get their **** straight. Do you want housing that the middle class can afford or not? If you prevent both urban development and rural development, you get a climbing death spiral for housing prices. What happens when prices match Seattle prices?

I always thought I'd move back, but when houses routinely hit $400/sqft, you've priced most people out of the region. I'm in a place that I like a lot less, but I'm buying a house for $15/sqft. You read that right. The $400k+ I'm not spending on my house can be invested in better investments to help me better attain my savings goals.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Wow! It's been 30 years since I have been to Whatcom County up by the Canadian border. I was hoping I could retire there but now 30 years later it sure did change.

Also heard the thing about property taxes up there as there is no cap on what they can assess the property tax in a year.

It's crowded up there now too?

Old 07-14-2020, 05:49 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I love Bellingham, but the city (and Whatcom county) need to get their **** straight. Do you want housing that the middle class can afford or not? If you prevent both urban development and rural development, you get a climbing death spiral for housing prices. What happens when prices match Seattle prices?

I always thought I'd move back, but when houses routinely hit $400/sqft, you've priced most people out of the region. I'm in a place that I like a lot less, but I'm buying a house for $15/sqft. You read that right. The $400k+ I'm not spending on my house can be invested in better investments to help me better attain my savings goals.
It's a huge problem, already affecting many of the trades and businesses. Jobs go begging, even seemingly good paying ones, because they don't afford the cost of housing unless you want to join one of the student flophouses and rent a room. Despite my seemingly disgruntled attitude towards Bellingham, I've made many friends in well paying professions that moved here from other states over the years...diesel mechanics to healthcare professionals....and NOT A SINGLE ONE has stayed due to housing costs.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:10 PM

130 posts, read 322,985 times
Last night, Antifafa took down the American and Washington state flags and burned them. The flags were located in front of the Bellingham police department.

The police watched them do it. No arrests, nothing.

A few weeks ago, Antifafa spray painted the county courthouse. No arrests; free to do whatever they want.

So tell me again why I should feel grateful about living in Bellingham?

Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Last night, Antifafa took down the American and Washington state flags and burned them. The flags were located in front of the Bellingham police department.

A few weeks ago, Antifafa spray painted the county courthouse. No arrests; free to do whatever they want.

So tell me again why I should feel grateful about living in Bellingham?
Yeah they hate America, even though this is probably the only country they ever been in. There was a protest Saturday, regular occurrence now days.

I noticed random broken windows today while walking, but it wasn't near the police department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington