Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No, we locals are not thrilled with all the newcomers and population growth. As a fifth generation local, my hometown is growing out of control. What I do not appreciate is all the homeless. One murdered a friend and another charged people with a machete and shot at police with a crossbow. He was also camping out in a local park illegally. And, I also do not like the SJWs who tell us we are priveleged to be SFH owners and that we need to embrace “diversity” whatever that is. One told me I needed to “own” it. ?
When I first came here from the southeast I was under the impression that Bellingham was always full of SJWs and pot advocates, LGBT with dreadlocks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 09:49 AM

67 posts, read 61,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
When I first came here from the southeast I was under the impression that Bellingham was always full of SJWs and pot advocates, LGBT with dreadlocks, etc.
No, not even close.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM

70 posts, read 66,209 times
Bellingham and is not bad at all. The amount of good restaurants is amazing. Yes it's expensive though. There are areas nearby in the country cheaper if you want to commute a bit, homes in the upper or even mid 200's can still be had out in the country with a 30 min commute. I've been living in South King County for the last 6 years and find Whatcom county a lot more appealing in many ways. Nowhere is perfect, unless you're rich. I get the feeling this place will continue to economically expand at a very health rate. It boils down to capitalism, with higher paying jobs comes higher cost homes, some homeless, taxes, growth, traffic. You either take that or a rural area with no jobs and cheap housing and socially backwards people, or I suppose somewhere in between but I'm sure those areas are disappearing.

Last edited by FJhg; 01-14-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Nope, not when I was growing up or even as a twenty something. Maybe in the last ten years, five years fir sure and within the last two years it is out of control.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
B'ham isn't Berkeley. It was always more conservative, though the student population did tend to balance that out, but still--a long way from 1960's/70's Berkeley.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,940,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
B'ham isn't Berkeley. It was always more conservative, though the student population did tend to balance that out, but still--a long way from 1960's/70's Berkeley.
It's not Berkeley, but Bellingham has much more of a counterculture past than people are clearly aware of. In the 70's, the town- especially the south side, including Fairhaven and Happy Valley, was known to be a welcoming place for hippies around the NW, and the city became a safe haven of sorts for Vietnam dissenters headed to Canada.

The hippie/new age element has always been there, and still is, though it's not overwhelming or in your face. But compared to many other areas of the country, the city is definitely still by and large a very progressive place, a safe haven for alternative thinking, concepts, and expression.

https://www.fairhavenhistory.com/con...0s_and_70s.asp

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...e77581207.html

https://lookoutarts.com/

Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
It's not Berkeley, but Bellingham has much more of a counterculture past than people are clearly aware of. In the 70's, the town- especially the south side, including Fairhaven and Happy Valley, was known to be a welcoming place for hippies around the NW, and the city became a safe haven of sorts for Vietnam dissenters headed to Canada.

The hippie/new age element has always been there, and still is, though it's not overwhelming or in your face. But compared to many other areas of the country, the city is definitely still by and large a very progressive place, a safe haven for alternative thinking, concepts, and expression.

https://www.fairhavenhistory.com/con...0s_and_70s.asp

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...e77581207.html

https://lookoutarts.com/
Thanks for this background info.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this background info.
Sure! Again, sometimes I feel the need to chime into this and other threads because facts and opinions about this place are all over the map. Bellingham must be hard to read from a distance!

Also, I've been meaning to share with you an article from last month in the Seattle Times. It's about the waterfront development, but it really goes further in explaining Bellingham, the ongoing battle between new and old, the conflicting perspectives- nostalgia for the past vs.visions of the future, etc. Anyway I think you'll find it an interesting read. https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific...ally-underway/.

There is, in fact, a common denominator with much of the sentiment on these threads, whether positive of negative- and that's actually somewhat of a unified defensiveness over Bellingham. Some like it so much that they never want another person to move here call it home, Some people here arguing clearly preferred living in "rancid-tuna-smelling industrial-fart clouds that wafted across the city" - though it was substantially cheaper. Others are excited about the transformation into a more modern, post-industrial destination and a great, though expensive (relative to the past) place to live. We fall into the latter category.

Unlike some the negative posters who tend to be locals or quasi-locals who've resided here much of their lives, I've actually lived in an area (Western foothills, NC) where I watched firsthand as the local industries and economy cratered, and for the most part has been unable to revive itself to this day. My wife has experienced the same thing, being from NW Pennsylvania, which is rust belt central. Not to trivialize the views of others- growth can be challenging, and significant housing price increases can be hard to experience. But I can tell you and other posters from our experience that it's much better to be on the upswing than having everything close down and fall into disrepair and depression around you.

We personally see Bellingham as a great place, experiencing some typical growing pains that go along with "being discovered." In a very scenic location between two large cities, it was almost certainly inevitable that it would have more appeal at some point. Yes, it does have a problem with too many homeless, not enough high paying jobs and not enough inventory of "affordable" housing, and the population growth is brisk, though often overstated by people complaining. But in our opinion, that's even more of a reason why smart, well thought-out planning and growth is even more important- to properly accommodate the new people in a way that also doesn't allow this place to lose its character. And those are that are absolutely not unique to Bellingham.

Again, I mention these things because I think that it's unfair to paint Bellingham as some awful place to outsiders, especially people pondering a move. And it's disingenuous to act like a boom cycle is unprecedented, as boom and bust cycles are a hallmark of this city. Anyway....again, both the negative commenters and positive commenters love it here, they just clearly have different views of what it should look and feel like going forward.

Last edited by bartonizer; 01-15-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Sure! Again, sometimes I feel the need to chime into this and other threads because facts and opinions about this place are all over the map. Bellingham must be hard to read from a distance!

Also, I've been meaning to share with you an article from last month in the Seattle Times. It's about the waterfront development, but it really goes further in explaining Bellingham, the ongoing battle between new and old, the conflicting perspectives- nostalgia for the past vs.visions of the future, etc. Anyway I think you'll find it an interesting read. https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific...ally-underway/.

There is, in fact, a common denominator with much of the sentiment on these threads, whether positive of negative- and that's actually somewhat of a unified defensiveness over Bellingham. Some like it so much that they never want another person to move here call it home, Some people here arguing clearly preferred living in "rancid-tuna-smelling industrial-fart clouds that wafted across the city" - though it was substantially cheaper. Others are excited about the transformation into a more modern, post-industrial destination and a great, though expensive (relative to the past) place to live. We fall into the latter category.

Unlike some the negative posters who tend to be locals or quasi-locals who've resided here much of their lives, I've actually lived in an area (Western foothills, NC) where I watched firsthand as the local industries and economy cratered, and for the most part has been unable to revive itself to this day. My wife has experienced the same thing, being from NW Pennsylvania, which is rust belt central. Not to trivialize the views of others- growth can be challenging, and significant housing price increases can be hard to experience. But I can tell you and other posters from our experience that it's much better to be on the upswing than having everything close down and fall into disrepair and depression around you.

We personally see Bellingham as a great place, experiencing some typical growing pains that go along with "being discovered." In a very scenic location between two large cities, it was almost certainly inevitable that it would have more appeal at some point. Yes, it does have a problem with too many homeless, not enough high paying jobs and not enough inventory of "affordable" housing, and the population growth is brisk, though often overstated by people complaining. But in our opinion, that's even more of a reason why smart, well thought-out planning and growth is even more important- to properly accommodate the new people in a way that also doesn't allow this place to lose its character. And those are that are absolutely not unique to Bellingham.

Again, I mention these things because I think that it's unfair to paint Bellingham as some awful place to outsiders, especially people pondering a move. And it's disingenuous to act like a boom cycle is unprecedented, as boom and bust cycles are a hallmark of this city. Anyway....again, both the negative commenters and positive commenters love it here, they just clearly have different views of what it should look and feel like going forward.
Very interesting, thanks. What were past boom/bust cycles based on? Other than logging, I assume?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Very interesting, thanks. What were past boom/bust cycles based on? Other than logging, I assume?
Well, yes forestry....but beyond that, anything from a stop on the trail to the BC gold rush in the late 1850's, to several huge land speculation efforts (Bellingham pinned much of its late 19th/early 20th century hopes to becoming the western terminus of Canadian and American transcontinental railroads) to coal mining to being the salmon cannery capitol of the world, to WWII and post WWII shipbuilding and associated manufacturing industries to massive chemical laden wood product and tissue processing. After a huge gas pipeline explosion in 1999, the city has taken a much more green trajectory, trying to figure out her identity as a post-industrial city. Turns out, the city is quite an appealing place when not smelling like a pulp mill, belching out tons of smoke, or dumping chemicals in the bay!

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...e22196535.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington