Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

We are considering transferring to the Bellingham area. A search for real estate reveals that homes are newer/larger/lower priced in the Birch Bay area (specifically Semiahmoo area) compared to Bellingham. Can anyone provide some insight into why there are so many homes for sale in the Semiahmoo area and the pros and cons of each area? My husband and I are 50 yo empty nesters with no concern about schools except for how they impact property values. We love the water, both sailing on it and viewing it. We also enjoy meeting new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
The pros of Bellingham: It's a manageable sized city that has history, is pretty, has nice views, nice houses, lots of activity,some great restaurants and is a college town.
Birch Bay/Semiahmoo is about 25 ish miles from Bellingham much closer to the Canadian border, and is fairly golf oriented, and has a lot of newer homes.
It's definitely a matter of choice in what one prefers. I'm a big Bellingham fan,I love the architecture and the big water/mountain views, and you can be within a few of miles outside of Bellingham and feel like you're in the country

Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,010 times
Default Bellingham-vs-Birch Bay

GREAT QUESTION!
As "water-loving, empty nesters", both areas would offer you ample joy.

The 20 minute drive to Birch Bay/Semiahmoo is mostly I-5 interstate. That section of I-5 is pretty quiet in terms of traffic, so it typically is a gentle drive between the two areas.

Most of the shopping is in Bellingham, but there is a major renovation happening with what was an outlet center really close to Birch Bay and Blaine. The plans and building are in place to put in a nice grocery store out there which will be a huge benefit to the residents. I suspect that will be in place in the next year...or so.

With most services, shopping and the major health centers in Bellingham, the distance is the greatest deterrant for most folks which has kept the prices in Semiahmoo softer than in town.

Since you are currently researching, I imagine you already know that Semiahmoo is a gated, planned community with many executive/2nd/vacation homes. That has changed some over the years with a lot of folks staying year-round, but still has that element of vacant homes during some of the year. The golf course was designed by Arnold Palmer, and is BEAUTIFUL. The spit leading out to the marina and resort is a great place to walk and see Blue Herons. And the resort Semiahmoo offers some great dining.

With Vancouver, BC only 45 minutes North of Bellingham (25 mins from Birch Bay...the boarder crossing can extend that time) and Seattle only 1 1/2 hours South, it is quick and easy to zip to either city if you are in need of an infusion of 'city life'.

Both Bellingham and BB are quiet, lovely towns nestled on saltwater bays with the San Juan Islands as the backdrop. Both areas have fabulous mountain views. Both areas have loads of outdoor recreation opportunities.

You can, typically, get a better home value in BB/Blaine/Semiahmoo...but with the price of gas...I wonder if it all works out to about "even" with drive-time to shop in Bellingham.

Bellingham, if you live in town, is pedestrian and bike friendly. There are loads of cute little shops, cafe's and restaurants. The Mount Baker Theatre (think Mann's Chinese) offers great entertainment year round and Western Washington University also brings in many cultural opportunities.

Fairhaven, a small sister city to Bellingham on the bay, is also a treasure. (But, Fairhaven is also some of our most expensive housing.)

Sure hope this helps as you consider your options and weigh your choices.
If you need real estate assistance, please feel free to contact me. Or, if you would like to know more about our area or my services, please visit my website:
Live good. Be happy....a FRESH approach to real estate.

Live good. Be happy.
Mimi

mod cut: advertising removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-30-2008 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
There is not much in the way of jobs in Birch Bay, the commute to Bellingham is what keeps these homes cheaper. At various times during the day traffic is light, but one running the 8-5 rat race will find things pretty tight.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,772 times
Semiahmoo consists mostly of retirees, tele-commuters, and canadians that have escaped the Canadian tax burden.
If you are interested we have a house for rent in Semiahmoo (the listing is on kijiji.com just search semiahmoo). When ever we move we always rent for a year to make sure we find a neighbour hood that matches our personality and given the current market Im not sure now is the time to buy without really knowing the area, you could get stuck with a house in an area that doesnt match your needs and if you tried to resell you could be taking a loss.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM

130 posts, read 322,985 times
Bring money.

Hey tamara, that place in semiahmoo is behind the gates, right?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,794 times
Birch Bay is out of the way compares to B'ham.

its like saying why does a 1br apt in Snohomish cost less than a 1br apt in downtown seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington