Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 65,146 times

Advertisements

We need to move to NW Washington this summer for my husband's job in Vancouver, BC. Since we're American we'd like to live in Washington and get him a Nexus pass for the commute. We've got kids who'll be in elementary school so quality of school is important, along with low crime...Birch Bay, Semiahmoo and Sudden Valley look nice, but I wonder if they're more vacation areas that full-time resident communities. Any honest opinions on the quality of these school districts would be most welcome. As for liberal/conservative, we lean to the left but we get along with everybody, regardless of political stripes (growing up in a conservative town will do that for you). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Hi. There's quite a lot of info (many threads) in the WA forum here about the locations you mention, especially if you click Search for Bellingham.

Bellingham school district is considered one of the top half-dozen school districts in the state, according to City-Data respondents. You can Google for the school district. You might also want to look up specific schools at GreatSchools.org.

Lynden would not be my first choice. It's a border town and rather lackluster, and there's not a lot of "there" there. Bellingham is a college town and as such has good book stores, theater, cafes, and an uplifting, energetic vibe. Birch Bay isn't a "vacaton" town but it seems to be becoming a retirement town, but maybe I'm wrong about that observation.
My thoughts would be like yours: where can I get the best schools and the most interesting and varied stimulation for my children, along with the most safety? I'd choose B'ham.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 65,146 times
Sure does, thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

79 posts, read 262,170 times
I would tell you the opposite,Lynden would be my first choice if your raising a family. JMHO of coarse.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debee View Post
I would tell you the opposite,Lynden would be my first choice if your raising a family. JMHO of coarse.
me too.... being of the same opinion (real rare here on the left coast)

I had friends who moved across the state to have their kids go to Lynden schools, BUT... That certainly is not the usual response, and these folks moved back to 'dumbsville', / 'methville' WA after kids graduated.

There are pluses of each, B'ham included. You may have to come scope them out.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 20,129 times
Even with a Nexus card, the commute across the border can be very long in the summer. He is going to have a long commute from any of those places.

Birch Bay and Semiahmoo would go to Blaine Schools, which are pretty good, but Blaine is a very small town. Sudden Valley kids are bussed to the nearest Bellingham school, which is Geneva. It's supposed to be a good school, but overcrowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywren123 View Post
We need to move to NW Washington this summer for my husband's job in Vancouver, BC. Since we're American we'd like to live in Washington and get him a Nexus pass for the commute. We've got kids who'll be in elementary school so quality of school is important, along with low crime...Birch Bay, Semiahmoo and Sudden Valley look nice, but I wonder if they're more vacation areas that full-time resident communities. Any honest opinions on the quality of these school districts would be most welcome. As for liberal/conservative, we lean to the left but we get along with everybody, regardless of political stripes (growing up in a conservative town will do that for you). Thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
For living, I would recommend Bellingham, however that is still a long drive for your husband. Probably at least and hour each way. On the otherhand it is affordable as is Lynden. There is a boarder crossing at Lynden, but if your husband is not working in that area, it is kind of a long drive back to Vancouver from there.
My suggestion is, do your homework, and make a trip out to WA to find the best place for your family.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM

472 posts, read 739,287 times
Lynden is a nice conservative farming community with solid schools and excellent athletic programs.

Blaine is less conservative, with perhaps just a bit more diversity, but maintains a great small coastal town feel. Schools are solid as well - great music program.

Either example you have Bellingham for your larger city needs just a short 20 minute drive away - and I-5 in that area is rarely overly busy - though the onramps into Bellingham can be busy at certain times of the day but nothing like South I-5/405.

All in all, these areas of Whatcom County are fantastic places to raise a family and enjoy some of the great natural surroundings. Mount Baker in the back yard and the beautiful San Juan/ Gulf Islands in your front yard - to say nothing of Vancouver being less than an hour away, a fantastic big city that I find superior to Seattle in every way...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM

151 posts, read 559,305 times
Blaine is a small town but cute and right on the border for your husbands drive. They have good schools, most of the people I know who have children that attend the Blaine school district are satisfied. That being said it is still at least a 25-30 minute drive to "town" which is Bellingham. Ferndale is similar to Blaine but a tad bit larger and a lot closer to Bellingham but will add about 15 minutes onto your husbands drive time to the border--schools in Ferndale are decent and the town is nice, plus it's only a 10 minute drive to Bellingham. Both Ferndale and Blaine have easy I-5 access making it nice to get to Vancouver or Bellingham. Birch Bay is a cute town but doesn't have much "in" town so you drive about 15 minutes to get to anything like grocery stores and the freeway. Lynden is a love it or hate it town for the most part--it's really pretty but very conservative and the drive to Bellingham isn't fun since it's not freeway time.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM

26 posts, read 148,677 times
So does anyone know what is the story regarding the l the trailers and/or manufactured homes in Birch Bay? Are the trailers considered low income retirement housing or are the trailers summer places? It certainly was surprising to see so many trailers! I assumed it was, due to past zoning laws. We are going to be leaving the city and are considering living off the golf course in this area. Does anyhow know what the future planners have in store for little town of Birch Bay? Of course, Birch Bay has a very beautiful view, but the town itself is lacking, because it reflects poor planning, zoning problems, it lack a sense of community and continuity. Therefore, it is not aesthetically pleasing. This is not a reflection of the people there, everyone we met there was helpful and polite! I'm just wondering what the future planners have in store for Birch Bay? We were in Birch Bay (off season )in Jan. and it appeared to be fairly quiet little town to me. We loved Semiahmoo and had wonderful time there. I did notice projects with Horizon and others were halted, most likely from when the housing bubble burst. We also drove to the quaint town of Blaine. Washington, a wonderful country town. If anyone has any suggestions on
places in the Washington area (privacy with a view) and please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington