Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 PM

60 posts, read 289,087 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts? I'm really looking for some scenic surroundings, with addition of a active outdoor community.

Ã…sa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,030 times
It is cheaper to live in Birch Bay but there are more outdoor activities like hiking biking and skiing closer to Bellingham. Only a 20 minute drive though.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM

60 posts, read 289,087 times
Thanks! Bellingham might be a better fit then. We're definitely heading there to check it out.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 145,794 times
I was about to start this thread... glad i searched!

So what is the deal? I'm interviewing for a job in Burlington next week, and I'm batting around this whole idea,.. I was thinking maybe there was a drug vibe in birch, because its a border town... I think I need to check them out.. and I'll probably cross birch off my list, thats quite a commute.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:45 AM

309 posts, read 365,680 times
Birch Bay to Burlington definitely is a bit of a commute.....especially bad when its raining/night or snowing since you have to contend with I-5 through the Chuckanut Mtns. just south of Bellingham.
Birch Bay itself, is a nice little community but it's growing as well.....with a lot of Canadians purchasing up a substancial amount of the real estate in the area (namely....the NEWER developments like Horizons at Semiahmoo). Being that the Canadian dollar is now in the same league with the American dollar and the fact that real estate in the Vancouver BC....area IS sky high......this is the result here.... nearest the border.
Many homes in the area are for sale and its the ones UNDER $500k that are just NOT selling so I think there might be a LOT of desperate folks who wish they could unload their property but the market is just too saturated and has been for a while. Definitely a buyers market!!!! As far as rents.....well it IS the Fall/Winter season so that helps bring it down somewhat.....but all things considered.....home prices and rents have both been WAY too high for too long!
Yeah.....there are a lot of drugs in the area too....but this is quite common almost anywhere thesedays.....esp. along a border. A lot of what you read about here though....pertains mostly to another shipment getting nabbed at the border crossings in Blaine. There is also a LOT of aerial surveillance in the region as well.....Customs/Border Patrol/Homeland Security, DEA, Coast Guard, State Patrol and the local sheriff all have a role here for what its worth.
Hope this info. helps.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM

hey thanks for the info. I was considering bellingham as the primary candidate since my commute would be to burlington... and i have kids, and a wife who works for a "major coffee retailer" that has many locations in bellingham.

How is that pass? How bad is it during the winter?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 PM

309 posts, read 365,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhunter View Post
hey thanks for the info. I was considering bellingham as the primary candidate since my commute would be to burlington... and i have kids, and a wife who works for a "major coffee retailer" that has many locations in bellingham.

How is that pass? How bad is it during the winter?
If you are referring to the Chuckanut Mtns. there's not much to worry about.
It's really not a pass per se, just about 6 or 7 miles along I-5 ( just south of B'ham) that has a few winding turns with a gradual, minor grade. LOTS of beautiful evergreen trees through there and a bit of a view (from I-5) of scenic Lake Samish. During the winter....it can and DOES snow sometimes. Also there are often several mornings when there is fog.....and IF, by chance, the temp. is at or below 32 degrees......you CAN BET there will often be "black ice" on the roads.....and take longer to melt in any shaded areas...IF the sun does come out.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM

30 posts, read 132,898 times
Default mosquitoes?

I was wondering if mosquitoes are a real problem in Point Roberts, Blaine or Birch Bay?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfull View Post
I was wondering if mosquitoes are a real problem in Point Roberts, Blaine or Birch Bay?
dunno about Blaine, but Birch Bay the mosquitoes are there but not a nuisance.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Thx, I flew up to b;ham last week.. doesnt look like the job is a fit.. but I am considering moving my business to the seattle metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington