Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,156,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
We're retired so I won't be looking for a job. Just wanted to make sure that others will be around though and it won't become a ghost town.

George
You been out here?

IMO economic health has always been tenuous. It is a part of the places character and culture. Minimalist mindset, where less is more. Combined with the fact working folks do not make much.

I do not think you need to worry about gohst town.. As long as you are OK with shantytown, to some degree. Think small town rural MN if you will.

Poor and fulfilled in life is more important than wealthy and empty. Is the prevailing attitude from my perspective as part of the legions of working poor raising a family.

Celebrate independence and keeping it local instead of chasing the carrot on the stick trying to become a 1% er.. Or worse yet pretending to be one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times
Poor and fulfilled in life is more important than wealthy and empty. Is the prevailing attitude from my perspective as part of the legions of working poor raising a family.

Like the Good Book says "sustenance and covering" will suffice, it is not what you've accumulated that matters it is the relationship one has with their Creator that's important.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,257,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Like the Good Book says "sustenance and covering" will suffice, it is not what you've accumulated that matters it is the relationship one has with their Creator that's important.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 AM

42 posts, read 126,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
You been out here?

IMO economic health has always been tenuous. It is a part of the places character and culture. Minimalist mindset, where less is more. Combined with the fact working folks do not make much.

I do not think you need to worry about gohst town.. As long as you are OK with shantytown, to some degree. Think small town rural MN if you will.

Yes, we have been out there and that's why we want to move there. There's definitely a whole lot more to do in PT than in rural MN (but it is beautiful up north). We'd be quite happy if PT stayed as is. We love the character of the town. We especially love the area around Cappy's Trails (daily walks with the dog) and North Beach and hope to find a place to live near there.

The only thing a little scary is possibly having to go to Seattle for major medical care. I hope the planned expansion of the hospital alleviates some of that.

George

Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,156,100 times
Love that area too.. Just at north beach and the back side of the park Sunday.

We like the hospital personally feel they have a good vision for the future. Yet, indeed it is a rural county hospital.. Quite a bit of more technical medical just over on the Kitsap peninsula.

Yes we would be quite happy if it would stay the same too, but we know things change. Fortunately most feel as we do and together we preserve the qualities we that make us unique and grow/support the small local businesses.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM

42 posts, read 126,520 times
Quote:
Quite a bit of more technical medical just over on the Kitsap peninsula.
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about medical facilities on the Kitsap peninsula. That would certainly be easier than going to Seattle. The only thing I've read about is people getting flown to Seattle when there's a bad accident.

George

Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times
You'd think Bremerton would have a decent facility, too, though they probably figure that if they're gonna airflight them out they might as well head over to Harborview in Seattle for about the best trauma care one can get anywhere.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,257,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
Interesting. I haven't heard anything about medical facilities on the Kitsap peninsula. That would certainly be easier than going to Seattle. The only thing I've read about is people getting flown to Seattle when there's a bad accident.

George
My stepsister works as a PT at Harrison Medical on the KP and she said we would be able to find quality medical care there, requiring a trip to Seattle for only unusually specialized care.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 AM
mev

154 posts, read 296,289 times
Harborview in Seattle is the trauma center and that is why folks in "bad" accidents are airlifted there.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Love that area too.. Just at north beach and the back side of the park Sunday.

We like the hospital personally feel they have a good vision for the future. Yet, indeed it is a rural county hospital.. Quite a bit of more technical medical just over on the Kitsap peninsula.

Yes we would be quite happy if it would stay the same too, but we know things change. Fortunately most feel as we do and together we preserve the qualities we that make us unique and grow/support the small local businesses.
Do some people in PT travel to the Kitsap peninsula for their medical care? And what about the health clinic the S'Klallam run, is it pretty good? Taking new patients?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington