Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,099 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 30 year old single, gay man, from Cape Cod, MA. I am looking to move to either PA or PT, sometime between Sept./Nov. 2011. I currently work in the Hotel industry, so I am not terribly stressing on finding a job in either place.
I have been researching both places. PT seems most like a Cape Cod, Town-which I am trying to get away from. Though PA is larger. I like the idea of being a few hours from anything. Being a ferry ride away from Victoria intrigues me too.
I am an adventurous type, Im sure i will be able to survive in either place. I don't care so much for the political aspects of either place, rather-what does a place like PA/PT offer a young person? I would like to go back to school & PA has a college!
Any and all feedback would be great. I enjoy small towns, I love exploring the wilderness-maybe joining the towns beautification council would be fun. I am looking to start a new chapter in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM

121 posts, read 292,501 times
Smile Port Angeles might be it.

I found the residents of Port Angeles to be quite tolerant, friendly and unassuming. I was at a McDonalds in Port Angeles and there was a couple with their two children. They were having friendly conversation with the other parents who were watching the kids play in the activity center. The bearded husband was a female who is undergoing hormone therapy in preparation for gender reassignment surgery. His voice was still very much female in tone. Nobody cared. The only reason I noticed was because I sat across from them and it took me by surprise when he spoke with a female voice. They seemed to me to be a well adjusted, normal loving couple and were readily accepted without a second glance by the other parents. I don't live in WA so the whole experience caught me by surprise. I think you would be happy and well accepted in Port Angeles. PS I also love Victoria, BC!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM

30 posts, read 132,827 times
Default do not pass go

go directly to Victoria.
you will not regret it.
but you will regret it if you consider for a single moment that PA or PT will at any point fulfill your dreams....
Vancouver Island is a place that Canadians wish everyone that has actually visited would just be quiet about...and i don't blame them.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I'm off to Port Angeles tomorrow to my parents for the weekend. if you want to become part of the community and spend time outdoors, there is a Clallam County Parks volunteer group that will do day project but also even camp overnight. They used to be very active but at their advanced age they now set up for meals more than they actually work. Of the two I'd say PA over PT, but in both places there is very little for young people to do, compared to cities like Seattle, or even Bremerton and Silverdale. It's still an accepting area but more seniors than people your age, but the kind of place where people shoot coyotes that threaten their livestock, and hunt on private property in residential areas.

On the other hand I would have loved it at your age, simply for the views and
access to mountains, rivers, lakes and salt water.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
PA is about twice the size of PT, though PT will be closer to other cities.
PT is older but may have more of a hip scene, broadly and loosely defined though both will be relatively small. PT may have more B&Bs for what that may be worth as job opportunity or competition.

If you haven't already you might want to read this thread
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...t-angeles.html

I know you said "I like the idea of being a few hours from anything" but you also said "what does a place like PA/PT offer a young person?" so I'll at least mention Poulsbo as being a waterfront community closer to both more hotel jobs and nightlife in Silverdale and Bremerton. There are some resort hotels within reach of Poulsbo as well. It also has several higher ed options nearby http://tinyurl.com/6eyudh3 (broken link) and more to the south. http://tinyurl.com/5wra5y4 (broken link) If towns beautification is an interest, Poulsbo is considered a pretty cute place that actively works at it.

PA & PT would still be easy weekend drives and Victoria would be only a hour further away while Seattle would be 45 minutes to an hour closer.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-04-2011 at 11:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington