Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:55 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times

Advertisements

Does this rain ever stop? I have been here since May of this year. I have heard some people say it rains 9 months out of the year, or 10 months out of the year. Does it really rain that many months, or is it cloudy some of those months with no rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
Hopefully you saw that it didn't rain July, August, Sept, and most of October...if it did then I'm getting used to it and not noticing it anymore! November-February are usually pretty rainy, March-June are cloudy and rainy, kind of hit and miss. July-Oct are usually beautiful.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 PM

57 posts, read 238,590 times
Default Rain

My impression after many years of observation is that it rains here from September to roughly June. Hardly any after that. No, I don't think it rains every single day. Every other sometimes. I remember about two years ago when it rained every day for a whole month where we live. The gray sky is nearly constant, but there are a few sunbreaks. You do almost get to the point, where, especially if you don't go outside a lot, you are almost unaware of it.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Does this rain ever stop? I have been here since May of this year. I have heard some people say it rains 9 months out of the year, or 10 months out of the year. Does it really rain that many months, or is it cloudy some of those months with no rain?
Well...you have been here since May. How does it look to you so far? If you thought it rained a lot from May to now, you just now hit prime-time. It's not going to slow down for a while now. At least...it usually doesn't during this time.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:10 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Well...you have been here since May. How does it look to you so far? If you thought it rained a lot from May to now, you just now hit prime-time. It's not going to slow down for a while now. At least...it usually doesn't during this time.
Well, compared to Florida where I moved from, even though it was sunny here for awhile after I got here, it just wasn't the same as what I am used to. And now with the constant rain, it just seems worse. Thanks for everyone responses!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:19 PM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Well, compared to Florida where I moved from, even though it was sunny here for awhile after I got here, it just wasn't the same as what I am used to. And now with the constant rain, it just seems worse. Thanks for everyone responses!
Yeah...I lived in the South (FL/LA). It would pour rain at times. But...It would do it for an hour or so and stop (and then be sunny for a long time). If you look at the weather statistics, there are places even in TX that get nearly as much rain as Seattle. It comes in a few rainfalls a year though and is nice the rest of time (for the most part). They have in the high 200's to low 300's days of sunshine. We have like 50? I don't know...my perception is probably a little skewed since I am getting so sick of it. Here...it just keeps coming down in this persistent light rain or drizzle. It's nice when it's nice. That is getting to be not often enough though.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
this summer was an exception (18 sunny days). We did have a nice fall though. 2006 was the second hottest/sunniest on record (was really nice). I too was disappointed with the lack of sun we had this summer.

You think the rain's bad now, it's just getting started.

Hey, there's always next summer!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:03 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
You think the rain's bad now, it's just getting started.
That's right! October was beautiful, November not bad this year and now it will drizzle through June with a few breaks (and maybe some late winter wind or snowstorms).

Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,308 times
PG77, it's all about lowering your expectations! I moved here this year from Florida too, but expected the drawn-out rain and cloudiness to be much worse--so far I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm not expecting to see the sun again until July 5th and if there are a few "sunbreaks" before then, it will just be a bonus.

Seriously, I hope you find a place where the weather is more to your liking--sunnier and drier. What about the Southwest?

Good luck!

Lynn

Old 12-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
just expect rain every day from Nov > March and every other day on the 2 months either side (but cloudy and gray on non-rainy days) ; with possibility of seeing sun for a few minutes, but not for hours or days. Then you will be pleasantly surprised if something better comes along (unlikely, but possible).

as for not noticing it... maybe I need to get rid of my income properties and farm and move to an apartment for that. I have endless problems with rain... leaky roofs, caulking around windows, downspouts, moldy siding, foundation penetrations, parking lot drains, leaves collecting in roof drains on commercial building that is on a 'lovely tree lined street'...rusty farm equip, water in fuel, electrical corrosion, foggy windows in cars, trucks, tractors. Then the sloshing around in orchard while pruning, carrying muddy ladders, having rain wash away 'anti-fungus' sprays... Guess I'm not 'used-to-it', yet. 25+ yrs after coming from Colorado... 300+ days of sunshine and no rusty tools. But hopefully I will 'not-notice-it' soon! In the meantime I will get up on the roof and treat the moss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington