Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times

Advertisements

If one would follow the current Federal envirnmental wetlands laws on the books today, that entire region would be off limits to any building. It would be questionable if a paved road would even be allowed to be built in order to drive into the area to visit the Northeast Wetlands State Park (the whole rainy coast).

No one ever tans, they just turn to rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:11 PM

73 posts, read 307,120 times
Well...I'm thinkin' --of course everyone isn't going to love Western Washington weather. But I wonder if your nationality has a bearing on what climate you most prefer and feel "at home" in.
My roots are in Ireland, where both sets of my grandparents came from - and it's rainy there, too. In fact, the weather is almost identical to here in WA.
Maybe it's the kind of weather I was made for. I'd probably like it there, too.

But definately, I think if someone doesn't like the place they're living, they should develop a plan, set a budget, save their money like crazy and MOVE. There's lots of places to choose from!

We're actually going to be moving to the East Coast, probably Maine, in the near future. I will seriously miss Wa and all my lovely rain. I will just have to learn to like snow.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
Well...I'm thinkin' --of course everyone isn't going to love Western Washington weather. But I wonder if your nationality has a bearing on what climate you most prefer and feel "at home" in.
My roots are in Ireland, where both sets of my grandparents came from - and it's rainy there, too. In fact, the weather is almost identical to here in WA.
Maybe it's the kind of weather I was made for. I'd probably like it there, too.

But definately, I think if someone doesn't like the place they're living, they should develop a plan, set a budget, save their money like crazy and MOVE. There's lots of places to choose from!

We're actually going to be moving to the East Coast, probably Maine, in the near future. I will seriously miss Wa and all my lovely rain. I will just have to learn to like snow.
I respect your opinion but geez.....you like rain?!?!?!?! You are kidding right?

I can not think of anything worse then rain. You can not go outside. You can never plan a family back yard picnic. You certianly can not get a job that requires outside work. You are always running from the house to the car, from the store to your car, from your car to everywhere. You can never have nice hair, either the rain ruins it or the hat you put on will instead. The roads are always dangerous. How do you ever get to mow your lawn? Oh man you can never go fishing or boating.

Hey im half teasing. I lived up in N. Vancouver, BC so I know what it is like to never see the sun for 9 months. I used to sit in many a coffee shops looking outside and you would see people standing in the pouring rain just talking away. And like 10 feet away was a store awning where they could have kept dry. It seems to me that the locals can stand in the rain and not get wet. They didnt seem to. Yet I ran to my car, a 20' run, and got water logged. How can that be? It never made sense to me.

You will like Maine though. There all the precip turns to that white puke that Mother Nature couphs up. Stunning beauty though....when it is not covered in white.

Good luck to you though. Adventure is awesome !!!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I respect your opinion but geez.....you like rain?!?!?!?! You are kidding right?...Hey im half teasing. ... It seems to me that the locals can stand in the rain and not get wet. They didnt seem to. Yet I ran to my car, a 20' run, and got water logged. How can that be? It never made sense to me. ..
you must not have got your 'duck' skin when you got imported (nor webbed feet). I have to agree with you.... my spouse (SO CA roots !!)... rain ! NO problem, --- but for me... ugh, drip;drip (more ugh), slosh-slosh. I hate tromping around in muddy boots and digging water escape canals around house / barn / gates / pump house...laying on slick rain soaked roof taking down Christmas lights. (I've got prairie roots). Give me a tumbleweed over a 300' tall fir ) Kids don't believe we used tumbleweeds hanging from ceiling as Christmas Trees, usually a 6' dia one with 'spray frosted snow' and gold bulbs and lights. After the season, you set it outside and it's gone by morning. (probably 3 counties away)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
beauty4ashes, you and I must be sisters born of different mothers! Let's form the YAY FOR RAIN club! :-) Three-quarters of my heritage, also, is Ireland -- Tipperary, mostly, where Ireland is the greenest green!
I remember that Eddie Rabbit song... There's also Gordon Lightfoot's "Alabama Rain", a lovely song.

I'm distracted here, watching Turner Classic Movie channel's 11 hours!!!! of Fred -n-Ginger movies for New Year's Eve!!

Okay, end of a dance number. This summer I took a cruise, of all things, from Seattle (not Van) to the Inside Passage. I left here on Sunday, July 8th for a 7-night cruise. The weather here was euuuuccchhhh clear and sunny and like 90 degrees as the ship left the dock. Glacier Bay, the first stop, was of course freezing and fabulous, but Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan were major fun -- because they were all cool, in the 40s, and DRIZZLY!!! Everywhere rain, drizzle, mizzle. I was grinnin' an' gigglin' and happy as a little duck, and everyone else was complaining like crazy! Hahahahahaha!

"...happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. Life's too short to ever waste a moment complaining about anything."
My oh my you are so wise and so right. As Wayne Dyer says, "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." All is perception....

THANK YOU FOR LOVING RAIN!!!! :-) Here's to downpours and mizzles forever!!! Happy Rainy New Year! :-)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
you must not have got your 'duck' skin when you got imported (nor webbed feet). I have to agree with you.... my spouse (SO CA roots !!)... rain ! NO problem, --- but for me... ugh, drip;drip (more ugh), slosh-slosh. I hate tromping around in muddy boots and digging water escape canals around house / barn / gates / pump house...laying on slick rain soaked roof taking down Christmas lights. (I've got prairie roots). Give me a tumbleweed over a 300' tall fir ) Kids don't believe we used tumbleweeds hanging from ceiling as Christmas Trees, usually a 6' dia one with 'spray frosted snow' and gold bulbs and lights. After the season, you set it outside and it's gone by morning. (probably 3 counties away)
HA!!! Ain't that the truth !!!

I will take the tumbleweeds over the rain too.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM

73 posts, read 307,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
beauty4ashes, you and I must be sisters born of different mothers! Let's form the YAY FOR RAIN club! :-)
LOL! Yep, it must have somethin' to do the land of Ire. Your cruise sounds so fun!

Desertsun41, Actually, I'm not kidding. I share your bewilderment only mine concerns the sun soakers.

I grew up in Las Vegas, and we would run from a/c cars to a/c stores, back to a/c cars to a/c homes, then to a/c movie theaters and a/c malls.Fall and winter brought the only relief and when it ever did rain (like once a year!) I would sit by the window gazing at it in wistful wonder! See? Born for the rain! It the scorching desert was all I knew. Being in less than ideal surroundings helps teach contentment, I think.

When I first moved to WA in '89, the amount of rain depressed me --I had lived in CA for a couple years after Vegas and was accustomed to SUN. But after a year or so here, I felt like... I'd come home. I just had no frame of reference for living with it. Once I climatized I was all set.

Now, by saying I love rain, doesn't mean I dislike other kinds of weather. I do enjoy the sun, too...just in lesser amounts. I love having a bbqin June, a picnic on a balmy day, sitting on the beach soaking up some vitamin D and playing frisbee at the park with my hubby and kids in the sunshine.
It's just that, when it rains, it's always welcome, (and usually has no effect on my parade!) KWIM? We take walks in the rain on purpose at our house.

So, do I think someone who prefers a tumble weed is wierd? No. Whatever the preference, it's a joy to be content in the place that I am.

Happy New Year everyone!

I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Philippians 4:11

Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,714 times
Are there parts of western WA that get less rain than the Seattle/Tacoma areas? I also like rain but don't know about sixty inches a year of it. We like southern Oregon but miss the ocean. In a year or two we may move further north and now is as good a time as any to start looking.

We've been to Sequim and didn't think living there would work for us; too cookie-cutter. Port Townsend is intriguing; which of the San Juan Island is nearest to civilization? I love the look of Gig Harbor but it surrrrrre gets a lotta rain...

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Here's interesting info from MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18827213
The cities with the highest annual rainfall are:
1. Mobile, AL 67 inches
2. Pensacola, FL 65 ins
3. New Orleans, LA 64 ins
4. West Palm Beach, FL 63 ins
5. Lafayette, LA 62 ins
6. Baton Rouge, LA 62 ins
7. Miami, FL 62 ins
8. Port Arthur, TX 61 ins
9. Tallahassee, FL 61 ins
10. Lake Charles, LA 58 ins

Seattle actually receives 36 inches of annual rainfall!! Less than even New York City and Atlanta!!
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/seattle/weather.htm

Here’s an analysis of the states in terms of annual rainfall, based on The World Almanac http://www.betweenwaters.com/etc/usrain.html
Louisiana is the state with the highest rainfall and Washington, as a state, receives less than half of Louisiana.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Rain, Beautiful Rain!!!

Yumyumyum
Attached Thumbnails
Rain-rain.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington