Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM

11 posts, read 36,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
How about the summers when it's still light at 9:45?
Oh, I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,165,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
How about the summers when it's still light at 9:45?
people don't like to talk about the advantages in PNW. They only say how cold it is (compared to Minnesota or Chicago it's summer in Seattle), how the rain never stops (absolutely untrue) because they compare the weather here to the weather in California and the South

Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM

57 posts, read 238,857 times
Or mornings when it is light out at 3:30 a.m.? Lovely, lovely, almost makes me forget - the long, dark, cold, etc. . . .

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,386,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjmom View Post
Or mornings when it is light out at 3:30 a.m.? Lovely, lovely, almost makes me forget - the long, dark, cold, etc. . . .
Where (outside of Alaska) is it light in the US at 3:30 am?
Certainly NOT in Seattle.

Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I wonder how much the auto parts stores rape people for windshield wipers up there. I think I bought my first pair ever this year for less then $5. I hear the same ones cost $25 in the northwest.
No.
You CAN find wipers for that (or even more) - but they are the same fancy-dancy wipers (such as I bought in Tucson last July) that cost a fortune elsewhere as well. Cheap wipers are, well, cheap even here.

Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
people don't like to talk about the advantages in PNW. They only say how cold it is (compared to Minnesota or Chicago it's summer in Seattle), how the rain never stops (absolutely untrue) because they compare the weather here to the weather in California and the South
I talk about how mild the winters are ALL the time. In truth, I don't really mind the winters all that much. My major gripe is those years (like this past one) where, after a long wet winter, the long-awaited prize of summer never seems to arrive.

I MUCH prefer mild and wet to cold and clear - but I'd rather have mild and sunny, so when I retire it's off to SE Arizona for us (30 years of Seattle weather is more than enough for me).

Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM

57 posts, read 238,857 times
Yes, I wondered where last summer had gone. It does seem to happen that way every few years. Somewhere where the sun is more reliable in the summer works well for me.

As far as light outside - I spent last summer in eastern WA and I could watch the sky start to get lighter at about 3:30. By four it was almost completely daylight. Had a neighbor who said he spent an hour in his garden every a.m., starting about 4 and that it was always nice and light and quiet, since nobody else was up. Very nice, the east side, but it really activates my allergies.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 12,963 times
I lived in Oregon my whole life before moving to Georgia for five years work and family brought me back, Rain never bothered me I have lived here for three years and I must say rain has bothered me a lot this time. I guess I never knew what I was missing all those years now I do. I have to be here another five years due to family and work then I will be moving back to Georgia or Florida.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,066,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Where (outside of Alaska) is it light in the US at 3:30 am?
Certainly NOT in Seattle.

Ken
Sunrise in June in mid June is about 4:10 am in Seattle...so it is starting to get light at 3:30 am

Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM

95 posts, read 381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Does this rain ever stop? I have been here since May of this year. I have heard some people say it rains 9 months out of the year, or 10 months out of the year. Does it really rain that many months, or is it cloudy some of those months with no rain?
Oh what I wouldn't give for some nice drizzle! I am on my 4th winter in the Rocky Mountains, and dry and COLD is not all wonderful! It is beautiful to look at the snow, but to live in it every day for months on end, it is a drag!!!
You know, I worked outdoors in construction when I lived in Seattle, and though we kept heavy duty rain gear in our trucks, there were many months we never used it. Good polar fleece keeps that light rain at bay. Now, when it rains here in the Rockies, it RAINS. Heavy downpours, yuk!
So, I am sorry you have had it with the rain, but I have now lived without it, and I have to say I miss it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington