Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM

264 posts, read 458,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post

Unanimous hatred of those who break our laws with impunity? Hatred? You have every right to want undocumented immigrants to go back to their countries of origin, but hating them is extreme.

You're right, 'hate' is a pretty strong word. I was just taken aback by the blatant racism someone posted on here - especially as I happen to be a fluent Spanish speaker and have lived in Latin America for extended periods of time.

Maybe it's just the so-called "immigrant rights" groups like Aztlan, Mecha, La Raza, etc. pushing a distinctly ethnocentric agenda which offends me so much, especially as many of us have worked so hard to help build America into a post-racial nation.

In any case, most of the anger I've seen is more of a "fed up" feeling and more-so directed at our Government's failure to fix the problem, not so much directed against the illegals themselves.

That's all I have. If you guys want to debate how to control illegal immigration or why we're not building a fence with Canada instead , please do so in the correct forum.

Last edited by Econolodge-911; 03-18-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,160,829 times
Why did you start the thread with such an inaccurate and pejorative title?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM

207 posts, read 965,366 times
I don't mean to sound racist but this is exactly the kind of thing that worries me the most about having to move to DC. I come from a very small, very white New England town and the thought of being around so many different kinds of people makes me uncomfortable. I likely wouldn't leave my apartment if something like this was going on. I know it's just ignorant paranoia but it's going to be such a hard adjustment for me just because of where I am used to living. I also feel especially vulnerable being a young female, is it illegal to carry mace with you in DC?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,586,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
I don't mean to sound racist but this is exactly the kind of thing that worries me the most about having to move to DC. I come from a very small, very white New England town and the thought of being around so many different kinds of people makes me uncomfortable. I likely wouldn't leave my apartment if something like this was going on. I know it's just ignorant paranoia but it's going to be such a hard adjustment for me just because of where I am used to living. I also feel especially vulnerable being a young female, is it illegal to carry mace with you in DC?
Seriously, just don't move here. A big city is not for you.

And whether or not you meant to sound racist, by voicing a concern that non-white people are going to attack you for no apparent reason other than the fact that you are caucasian and they are not, you do in fact sound racist.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,730,725 times
Quote:
Yeah stay in New England.

It's kinda funny how a lot of people I know claim places in New England, especially Boston are so racist. For such a 'liberal' and 'progressive' area they sure seem to have a lot more racial tension than places in the South.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM

207 posts, read 965,366 times
I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought non-white people were going to attack me all the time, frankly being female I just assume everyone is going to attack me all the time regardless of ethnicity. I think it's better to be safe than sorry and too trusting. Sorry for people who tell me not to move there, I'm coming anyway because I'm attending school there. Guess they'll just have to deal with me, I'm sure my fears are not uncommon. I wasn't really looking for rude remarks about "stay where you came from." I suppose my concerns are warranted if that is how friendly people in DC are.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM

660 posts, read 1,710,158 times
Quote:
Sorry for people who tell me not to move there, I'm coming anyway because I'm attending school there. Guess they'll just have to deal with me, I'm sure my fears are not uncommon. I wasn't really looking for rude remarks about "stay where you came from." I suppose my concerns are warranted if that is how friendly people in DC are.
I think you are going to have to deal with DC and its residents, not the other way around. It sounds like you are going to experience some culture shock when you get here. Maybe this will be a good experience for you, maybe not, but chances are that you will be affected by DC more than you will affect DC.

Of course you weren't looking for people telling you to stay in rural New England. I think moving to a big city may help you fight certain paranoid impulses that you are already aware of. That said, if you're going to be alarmed by large, well-known advocacy groups organizing protests against government policies (agree with them or not, but La Raza is hardly a bunch of "anarchist" teens wearing black hoodies interested in causing chaos), or large groups of people of color, DC will be a tougher adjustment than many other cities.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,758 times
Information about the march on Sunday is here:

[url=http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/march-index/url]

It's not necessary to be so rude when people are working hard to improve the lives of others. I think you created this entire post just to make a snarky comment about others. So I'd watch it if I were you when calling someone else Racist.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM

264 posts, read 458,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgrrrl View Post
It's not necessary to be so rude when people are working hard to improve the lives of others. I think you created this entire post just to make a snarky comment about others. So I'd watch it if I were you when calling someone else Racist.

And I'm willing to be that you're here illegally.

Are you threatening me? Obviously you have no idea what rude is.

However, I do appreciate you going through all the trouble to create a separate account just to post this.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,730,725 times
Still don't get why people are against immigration reform... these are people who WANT to be here and work here and hey guess what that means tax dollars going into the system.

But because it's so god damn complicated to legally immigrate to the US, people have to choose between living in squalor in Mexico or living in poverty in the US. I'd take the US over the other options, frankly.

To me it's like being pro-choice. I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-people-being-able-to-make-a-choice. Likewise I'm not pro-illegal-immigration, I'm pro-immigration-reform so that people who genuinely want to make a better living for themselves have the ability to do so. I mean christ, when I applied for my green card I was a 16 year old male going to a good school with no criminal record with Canadian citizenship, yet it still took about a year and a half (and a lot of money) for everything to get sorted out. I hardly fit the profile of any evildoer. The whole system is screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC