Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,434 times

Advertisements

I am new to DC. I am in the process of relocating from Nyc. I have lived on upper west. I will be working in the farragut area. I am looking at apartments in the clarendon and pentagon city area and wanted to find out more about those areas. I am a mid 30s single female. I don't have a car. I want to be close to the metro and cab accessible. I want a building with a fitness center. I would like a building desk attendant as doormen don't seem to be found. I want the grocery store close. I like to go out but really beyond the clubbing scene. I like some fun bars and good restaurants. I am looking to meet new people. I would like the area to have places and bars where the 30 something crowd hangs out or is close to get to. Where should I be looking ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,757,970 times
Clarendon would be perfect for you

plenty of places for 30+ socializing, it has zipcar spots if you ever need to drive and don't own, easy metro ride to DC

Pentagon City is closer to the highway and is less pedestrian friendly, rents there can be a little cheaper

remember in the DC area there are far fewer doormen than in NY, and apt brokers are extremely rare - most people find their own places, also a lot more managed buildings so if you want to lease a place just walk in and there's almost always a sales rep for you to speak to, lastly you'll find many newer buildings than in NY, if you look in either Clarendon or Pentagon City you'll find a lot of places built in the last 5-10 years

Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 PM

123 posts, read 504,635 times
Take the advice of TheseGoTo11 before you get confused by 20 other post bad mouthing a really good area.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,625,740 times
Pentagon City is a nice area and depending on how close you live to the metro you might not need a car. Check out the Pentagon Row area. There's plenty of restaurants and shops in the area and it is next to the Pentagon City Metro. Another option would be Crystal City though it gets a little dead at night.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,515,655 times
Try the Virginia Square area. Lots of available apartments, and it is between Claredon and Ballston so you get the best of both areas. We used to live in the Archstone Virginia Square which is directly above the metro stop and it has a fitness center, concierge, etc...

Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 34,018 times
Both pretty good areas. I live close to Pentagon city myself. Depends on your priorities commuting, nightlife, etc..

Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM

227 posts, read 822,399 times
Is there a reason you don't want to live in DC proper? Clarendon is very sterile IMO.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM

741 posts, read 2,782,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
Is there a reason you don't want to live in DC proper? Clarendon is very sterile IMO.
It used to be a lot better before it got franchised to death and turned into a Maryland sister city of Bethesda...

Old 10-24-2009, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,037 times
I grew up in and lived in Pentagon City for 10 years (River House apts) and I wish I still lived there now...

I'll gladly recommend River House to anyone: riverhouseapts.com

Everything is in walking distance...you're right across the street from Pentagon Row but don't have to put up with all the BS that the people who live right above the plaza do (noise, crowds, etc)

23rd street, which is nearby, has several bars and restaurants that the 30+ crowd hangs around at...

The buildings have a fitness center and a beautiful pool and weren't that expensive compared to pentagon row apts (in 2003 atleast)

I'm by no means an expert on the area since I only lived there from ages 3 to 13 (lol) but if you like convenience (metro is across the street), safety (cops & security all over the place), and beautiful scenery/views (i could see the monument from my apartment window) then i'd go with pentagon city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC