Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM

83 posts, read 483,961 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to DC area and was thinking I should live in DC, where everything is happening. Then I was looking at surrounding area on city-data.com, and now I think Arlington is a good place, too! Although I would love to have DC license plate, but that's secondary.

Anyway, I am in my 30s and professional (I guess most people are in the DC area), so not looking to live in a place with too many young people partying (I know Adams Morgan is not for me). Is Arlington more (lack of a better word) sophisticated and more singles my age, or west side of DC?

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Arlington has got to be the world capital of 30-44 year old college educated singles.

Northwest DC's got a lot too, but because all Virginia bars have to have restaurants as well, there are a lot more sit-down tables than in many DC hangouts, and as a result they tend to be more 35 yo friendly, particularly before midnight. Arlington also has a lot of new apt complexes around its metro stops which attract a lot of single professionals over 30. The larger DC buildings tend to be older and attract more retirees and 20-somethings, with little in between.

Arlington bars tend to be more low-key than DC's. Lots of jeans and baseball cap places, not many velvet ropes. Some of the places I like include Whitlow's, 11th, Cafe Asia, Iota, Galaxy Hut, and Kitty O'Sheas.

I've lived in both NW DC and Arlington, and think your assessment about the better spot for over 30s is fairly accurate.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM

83 posts, read 483,961 times
Thanks TheseToGo11. This really helps a lot! I will certainly look to moving into Arlington area.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Arlington has got to be the world capital of 30-44 year old college educated singles.
Definitely agree with TheseGoTo11's post. If you are anywhere in North Arlington between Court House and Ballston, you'll be in good company.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,396 times
Nah. If you are in mid thirties then Alexandria is the best place for you. Arlington is full of nothing but a bunch of recent graduates perhaps more of under 30's groups. BTW, I am a 27 Alexandrian and I would be living in Arlington if the price tag wasn't so bad

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL2010 View Post
I plan on moving to DC area and was thinking I should live in DC, where everything is happening. Then I was looking at surrounding area on city-data.com, and now I think Arlington is a good place, too! Although I would love to have DC license plate, but that's secondary.

Anyway, I am in my 30s and professional (I guess most people are in the DC area), so not looking to live in a place with too many young people partying (I know Adams Morgan is not for me). Is Arlington more (lack of a better word) sophisticated and more singles my age, or west side of DC?

Any recommendations are appreciated.
JL,

You would definitely appreciate the Clarendon/Ballston area. Easy access to Metro, and as mentioned laid back nightlife and decent restaurants. Plus, you can be in DC in about 10-15 minutes. I worked in that area, and even though I lived in MD, I spent a lot of time hanging out in Clarendon.

A second alternative would be Bethesda.

As for the DC plates, dealing with the DC DMV is a nightmare

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
Courthouse to Ballston has a lot to offer. My only rub against it is that it is 'clean' in a sense. A lot of chains, but also a few mom and pop places. But it lacks a bit of the 'city' grime that you'd find in AM or Dupont or even Gtown.

That said, my wife is demanding we get a place there. She likes clean.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM

82 posts, read 433,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
As for the DC plates, dealing with the DC DMV is a nightmare
I have a lot of complaints about DC (lousy education system, dishonest employees (who all seem to live outside the District) stealing taxpayer money, etc.), but the DC DMV is not one of them. I've had to register two cars, get them inspected every other year, generally park at least one of them on the street, and every one of my dealings w/ the DMV has been efficient and relatively pleasant. When I misplaced my license, I went to the local office w/ the necessary ID (info provided on website) and they had me in and out in 15 minutes. When I arrived at inspection last year before having heard regarding a ticket (I felt it was improperly issued and opted for mail adjudication), they inspected my car and issued me a temporary pass since they felt the delay was on their part (the AC system had gone out in the main DMV HQ in the middle of the hot DC summer, causing a backlog). When I received the ticket dismissal, I just had to show the proof at the window (together w/ my inspection printout), and they provided me w/ a new sticker right then and there. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for inspection and never spent more than an hour and a half (the first time, when I transfered my license to DC, registered my car, got new plates, etc.) in a DMV office. I've tried to follow the advice provided on the website about the best times to go for various services and I think that may be key, since I've heard that lines can be long during high demand days.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
Courthouse to Ballston has a lot to offer. My only rub against it is that it is 'clean' in a sense. A lot of chains, but also a few mom and pop places. But it lacks a bit of the 'city' grime that you'd find in AM or Dupont or even Gtown.

That said, my wife is demanding we get a place there. She likes clean.
You described it excactly..

Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
I have a lot of complaints about DC (lousy education system, dishonest employees (who all seem to live outside the District) stealing taxpayer money, etc.), but the DC DMV is not one of them. I've had to register two cars, get them inspected every other year, generally park at least one of them on the street, and every one of my dealings w/ the DMV has been efficient and relatively pleasant. When I misplaced my license, I went to the local office w/ the necessary ID (info provided on website) and they had me in and out in 15 minutes. When I arrived at inspection last year before having heard regarding a ticket (I felt it was improperly issued and opted for mail adjudication), they inspected my car and issued me a temporary pass since they felt the delay was on their part (the AC system had gone out in the main DMV HQ in the middle of the hot DC summer, causing a backlog). When I received the ticket dismissal, I just had to show the proof at the window (together w/ my inspection printout), and they provided me w/ a new sticker right then and there. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for inspection and never spent more than an hour and a half (the first time, when I transfered my license to DC, registered my car, got new plates, etc.) in a DMV office. I've tried to follow the advice provided on the website about the best times to go for various services and I think that may be key, since I've heard that lines can be long during high demand days.
Alright..I was a bit harsh, but in the past, I would not have retracted my statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC