Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I would really appreciate some help because i am beginning to start my journey to relocate to a new state!

Currently I live in michigan (ann arbor area) and work a clerical position at the University of Michigan. I am 23, single, and no children. I am slowly finishing my degree at EMU but i want out of Michigan now!

Several things i need advice on:

1) Getting a job: Most of my job experience is clerical and in healthcare (outpatient clinic, inpt/outpt psych, and Operating Room). I have also waitressed a few times in the past. Im not looking for a career but something to pay the bills. Would it be pretty easy to find something like this? What are the best hospitals to work for in the D.C. area?

2) Housing: I am interested in getting a one bedroom apart for around 1000-1200 in a decent (safe) area and close to a potential hospital to work at.

Any other random advice about relocating would b awesome! thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 PM

885 posts, read 1,556,400 times
With your price range, you should look for places away from downtown DC. I have been doing some research too and I am narrowing it down to Alexandria, VA, close to the most outer Metro station, near Hungtinton Station.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 PM

248 posts, read 701,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley21 View Post
Hello Everyone! I would really appreciate some help because i am beginning to start my journey to relocate to a new state!

Currently I live in michigan (ann arbor area) and work a clerical position at the University of Michigan. I am 23, single, and no children. I am slowly finishing my degree at EMU but i want out of Michigan now!

1) Getting a job: Most of my job experience is clerical and in healthcare (outpatient clinic, inpt/outpt psych, and Operating Room). I have also waitressed a few times in the past. Im not looking for a career but something to pay the bills. Would it be pretty easy to find something like this? What are the best hospitals to work for in the D.C. area?

2) Housing: I am interested in getting a one bedroom apart for around 1000-1200 in a decent (safe) area and close to a potential hospital to work at.

Consider the fairfax area in VA. On the west side of fairfax is the fair lakes/fair oaks area. There are tons of places to go shopping in that area and it meets your budget range. It is also a very safe area to live in, as I see girls running outside alone at night even.

In fairfax is the inova fairfax hospital. I'm making a wild assumption that it has to be good because Dick Cheney had heart surgery there recently. I also know someone who works there and she likes it. She is some kind of lab technician there, not sure of the details.

Random advice would be live as close as you can bear to where you work. Traffic is intense here.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,728,171 times
You won't find that price and safe in the same sentence for a 1 br unless, as stated above, you move way out which, depending on where your job ultimately is, could be a real pain. If you can handle a studio, which many do here, you should be fine.

I'd find the job first, then the housing. Positioning yourself close to work or near a Metro stop is so important here. Otherwise, your life is just traffic.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,758,175 times
If you could sell yourself enough (sounds bad) and get enough money for your job, you could probably live anywhere (ok, not the $20,000 PH- oh maybe).

I agree with Bluefly, get a job first, then see what you could afford. It sucks trying to find a place to live around here. Forums don't help either. Just be smart about it and honestly do some statistic analysis of crimes and look at lots of Google Map of the area near where you live. Wikipedia isn't that bad either about cities and locations/crime history and of course this site does really awesome job about statistics outside the forum.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,758,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley21 View Post

Your number one and two sounds like you want to live in NOVA and not DC.

Clarendon or Ballston. It's close to few hospitals in NOVA as well as Georgetown. Great bars in NOVA.

I guess it depends on your experience but don't they put new people in the hospital near hood first, before you get your third education and do some R&D?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC