Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 AM

11 posts, read 16,517 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the title, this is not a personal ad. lol

Hello all! I just relocated from Florida to the DC area and I need some help figuring out where to live. I am currently staying with a friend in VA. Yes, I did read this post first https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...u-looking.html I also tried to find posts similar to my situation but I didn't find anything super recent and I'm not sure how much info would have changed.

But I am in my early twenties. I've already secured work. I'll be working in the city near George Washington University/Foggy Bottom Metro. I also have a second job in chevy chase. I'd rather be closer to the 1st job because it is my primary. I'd like to be near a metro but its not a deal breaker but it is def up on the list. I'd also like to be near grocery stores, shops, a mall.. You know somewhere that I can walk around and enjoy the amenities. I also plan on going to games (even though the wizs arent the best) and out to clubs, concerts, etc so I'd like to be a skip and a hop from the city. Id also like to get back into dating so if anyone knows where young black professionals hang, thatd be great. I have friends of other backgrounds so anywhere with mixed crowds is great, even better than an all black crowd.

I know nothing is cheap here but im looking to pay no more than 1600. But my goal is to pay 1200-1300 for a one bed. What I need help w/ is finding an area that fits this.

I'm looking at these areas so far:
-silver spring (kind of far from primary job)
-arlington
- columbia heights (in the city, expensive)

The list pretty much stops there because I haven't explored any other areas. I need to secure a place by the end of november so I have a little bit of time but not much.

Help, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,787,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelista_Diva View Post
Sorry for the title, this is not a personal ad. lol

Hello all! I just relocated from Florida to the DC area and I need some help figuring out where to live. I am currently staying with a friend in VA. Yes, I did read this post first https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...u-looking.html I also tried to find posts similar to my situation but I didn't find anything super recent and I'm not sure how much info would have changed.

But I am in my early twenties. I've already secured work. I'll be working in the city near George Washington University/Foggy Bottom Metro. I also have a second job in chevy chase. I'd rather be closer to the 1st job because it is my primary. I'd like to be near a metro but its not a deal breaker but it is def up on the list. I'd also like to be near grocery stores, shops, a mall.. You know somewhere that I can walk around and enjoy the amenities. I also plan on going to games (even though the wizs arent the best) and out to clubs, concerts, etc so I'd like to be a skip and a hop from the city. Id also like to get back into dating so if anyone knows where young black professionals hang, thatd be great. I have friends of other backgrounds so anywhere with mixed crowds is great, even better than an all black crowd.

I know nothing is cheap here but im looking to pay no more than 1600. But my goal is to pay 1200-1300 for a one bed. What I need help w/ is finding an area that fits this.

I'm looking at these areas so far:
-silver spring (kind of far from primary job)
-arlington
- columbia heights (in the city, expensive)

The list pretty much stops there because I haven't explored any other areas. I need to secure a place by the end of november so I have a little bit of time but not much.

Help, please!
Compiled list of events for young black professionals:

Washington, DC Archives | I Don't Do ClubsI Don't Do Clubs

Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,444 times
If you are willing to live in a STUDIO apartment as opposed to one a true one bedroom, then you should be able to find a place in your price range without too much difficulty in many different great, walkable neighborhoods in DC or Arlington.
But if you really need a true 1 br apartment (with a bedroom and a separate living room), then it's going to be a lot more difficult to find something in your price range that has everything you want. You'd have probably have to compromise with a place that's old or not so nice in terms of the apartment itself, or in a not so nice neighborhood, or one that's far from the Metro, or one that's far out from the city.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:22 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,804 times
Are you opposed to having a roommate?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,767,460 times
You may find something for 1300, but you'll have to move out a little further out in the 'burbs to get that price, or someplace in a not-so-nice area in DC. Or pay a few hundred more. 1600 will get you a decent place, in a decent area, somewhat near a metro.

I know VA more than DC, so my first reaction would be something off the Blue line, like near Pentagon City or Crystal City.

Is the 2nd job metro accessible?

And like mentioned, studio's can be had, in some rent control buildings for $1100 or even less, near metro stops, in decent areas. I just signed a lease for a 1 bedroom, and the square footage is about the same as two different studio apartment that two of my friends are renting. The only difference is that I have wall and a door for the bed space, lol. Their studio's even come with a nice walk-in closet. If I were you, I'd look into a studio, especially if location is more important than a separate sleeping space.

AND if you want a washer/dryer in your 1 bedroom, unless you get really lucky, you'll probably only find a place like that for around 1400 near I-495. I just went through THAT search, ugh...

Good luck...

Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM

8 posts, read 6,415 times
Hi op,

You kind of sound just like me lol. I to am from Florida and recently moved to DC and love to travel. I think you pickeda decent location if you're considering Silver Spring. I'm considering that location as well. I'm also considering using this company called Rentals Gone Wild. I was sifting through craigslist and found one of their ads. Apparently, they are free and send me a list of specials weekly.. I'll let you know how it turns out of I find something within the same price range.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,973,777 times
Man,

All these folks from Florida..

I just moved from south florida in April and work in DC (Farragut West Metro).. Im temporarily in the Springfield area. Im renting a master bedroom in a 6 bedroom fully furnished home from a 3 person family in a pretty nice area. VA connector is right on the corner of the house. Im paying $800 all included and have free reign of the house and kitchen. I decided on this for now because I haven't decided on whether I want to permanently live in NOVA or maryland. I am starting to like the Springfield/Alexander area. I really lucked out...

Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,412,426 times
I'd start by looking for something closest between two points.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,131,093 times
You are better off with roommates if you're a social person who won't be home that often. Why pay extra rent to live alone when you're NEVER HOME. It makes no sense.

If you're willing to have roommates you can live almost anywhere you want. If you insist on living alone.. finding a good spot for a good price is going to be tricky. You might want to consider studios around Chinatown and the Conversion center. They might be in your price range.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 AM

11 posts, read 16,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Compiled list of events for young black professionals:

Washington, DC Archives | I Don't Do ClubsI Don't Do Clubs
Thanks! I'll look over this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: