Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 02:10 PM

30 posts, read 88,616 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm offered a job in Mclean, and I was thinking about living in MD because Mclean rents are Sky High. Someone suggested the DC area mainly because I'd be going against traffic in rush hour. What do you think? I've been trying to balance rent/nice area/commute. Thanks for your advice.

Oh, and the job pays 60K and I have two potential roomates both making 54K each. What I'm looking for is to live below my means, if that is possible. I'm 25years old and saving up for possible marriage in around 3 years.

Last edited by robtrevino; 12-15-2007 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,265,850 times
When I lived in D.C. I use to commute everyday to Tysons Corner. I use to work across from Tyson's Corner Center. It was an easy commute because, YES you are going against the traffic. I use to take 66 from D.C. and get off at Leesburg Pike and be at work in 20-25 minutes.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM

30 posts, read 88,616 times
how about rent? is it very different than mclean? or noVA?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,234 times
hmm, I mean, the rule of thumb is that if you want lower rent you go further out in Virginia. But, if you want culture, nightlife, and ambiance, you move closer into DC. Now, DC is a mix as far as rent. The question is: can you find an equal or lower rent that is a nice neighborhood in DC? The really desirable places will be at least as $ as McLean/Tysons, I assume a little bit more. I still wouldn't dissuade you from looking at DC. You could also consider Falls Church and even Arlington. But, I'm still not sending you into the areas with lower rent. With two roommates, you should be fine in any of these areas. I would just look for the right apartment building.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,510,606 times
Doing it to Tysons from DC is indeed easy enough once you get into VA. I'd probably try to stay off Route-7 into Tysons, but 66 to 267 and then 123-South should work well, as should the GW Parkway to 123-South. The only problem will be how to get out of DC from wherever you are. That's a you-never-know-until-you-try sort of thing. Might be pretty easy, might not. Rents in DC will depend on what sort of neighborhood you can tolerate. The well known spiffy areas (G-town, Dupont Circle, etc.) are not going to be a bargain, but then again, the three of you are making $170K-ish, so you'll have some flex and choice in going a little upscale while still being able to sock some away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC