Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 AM

62 posts, read 106,931 times

Advertisements

Hi--

We are moving to DC and have no clue where to look for a place to live.

Where would you recommend a town where we can find internationals, liberal/environmentalist type folks, with green spaces around? And most importantly, a community and family oriented area.

A commute of 30 max by car would be ideal; 3 bed townhome or apartment if need be.

If you have any recommendations, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:04 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
You might want to ask around on the Northern Virginia thread but to answer your question I'd say Vienna, Falls Church, or McLean itself.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
"liberal/environmentalist type folks" live in McLean? I thought that was where the right-wing arch-nemeses lived (http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/goptopia - broken link) -- Scalia and Buchanan and Newt and even Cheney (who moved back there post-2008). I'm surprised that you didn't sell Arlington, terrence.

What's your budget? McLean is a popular place for offices but it's surrounded by very expensive suburban housing. I will echo that you'll probably be better served by the NoVa forum, since you're not likely to commute from a DC townhouse out to McLean.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
"liberal/environmentalist type folks" live in McLean? I thought that was where the right-wing arch-nemeses lived (http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/goptopia - broken link) -- Scalia and Buchanan and Newt and even Cheney (who moved back there post-2008). I'm surprised that you didn't sell Arlington, terrence.
I guess I could've sold north Arlington. I live in south Arlington so for me personally Arlington doesn't qualify as a place with a 30 minute commute. North Arlington or Westover does qualify as a place with a 30 minute commute to McLean/Tysons though.

When I think McLean I don't neccesarily think ring wing neighbors. Northern Virginia as a whole is pretty left leaning these days. There are right leaning pockets but I wouldn't exactly tell someone to avoid the suburbs like McLean just because they're liberal.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

What's your budget? McLean is a popular place for offices but it's surrounded by very expensive suburban housing. I will echo that you'll probably be better served by the NoVa forum, since you're not likely to commute from a DC townhouse out to McLean.

We're thinking $1800 max for a 3bed. Not sure if that's reasonable or not.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
$1800 MAX for a 3bed? $1800 MIN is much more reasonable. Sorry but that's the way this area is.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

We'll take the $1800 min too. As long as it's $1800.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
I think you're very very unlikely to find a 3br for $1800 anywhere near McLean. You either have to increase your budget, be willing to live 45 minutes or more away or settle for a 2br.

Where are you moving from? This is one of the top five, if not three, most expensive housing markets in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC