Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,818 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a single mom living in the west and am considering a move to DC. I am the mother of a 6 year old, providing the drastic majority of her support. I am an attorney who returned to school to fulfill the requirements to take the patent bar. I am finishing my schooling and am looking to return to practice. I have worked at a law firm in the midwest for a couple years and found the midwest professional scene not to be a great fit for me.

I've visited DC and think it could be a great fit for me. However, the idea of moving to a place with such a high COL is intimidating. Does anyone have suggestions for finding a quality school and a safe neighborhood? I prefer a shorter commute, so I can spend less time on the road and more time with my daughter. I'd also like to live around other black professionals if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpathmom View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a single mom living in the west and am considering a move to DC. I am the mother of a 6 year old, providing the drastic majority of her support. I am an attorney who returned to school to fulfill the requirements to take the patent bar. I am finishing my schooling and am looking to return to practice. I have worked at a law firm in the midwest for a couple years and found the midwest professional scene not to be a great fit for me.

I've visited DC and think it could be a great fit for me. However, the idea of moving to a place with such a high COL is intimidating. Does anyone have suggestions for finding a quality school and a safe neighborhood? I prefer a shorter commute, so I can spend less time on the road and more time with my daughter. I'd also like to live around other black professionals if possible.

By DC do you mean metro or city? Public schools in DC are not good. The best public schools are in Arlington, Fairfax, and loco counties. You could live vy the metro and commute by it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
You have to say WHERE you would be commuting to in order to get advice on what would be a good location. You also need to post your budget.

I would suggest you also look at the Washington DC suburbs in Maryland forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Maryland tends to have a lot more black professionals than Virginia, and as the other poster said, it is generally speaking going to be much easier to find quality schools in the suburbs than the city proper.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Takoma, Shepard Park neighborhoods in DC would be a good fit inside the city, these two neighborhoods have a number of Black Professionals. Shepard Park is kind of known for it inside the city, as it's historically had that role. Outside the city, if you want good schools, it is probably going to be somewhere in Montgomery County in Maryland, or Arlington/Alexandria in Virginia. There are some places in PG that might also be decent.

With that being said, the area in general is expensive. There is no avoiding that aspect. In general the DC area has a number of Black professionals, they are not hard to find. But the COL is very high, but considering your profession is patent law, almost all of the key cities are high COL.

With all that being said, knowing your budget for a rental is key, as well as the size place.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
dc is like a big clusterfluck, if that's how you want to live. there are lots of great places to see and go but it's kind of marginalizing, based on what you can afford. if you're just middle class or below, it's no piece of cake at all.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:38 PM

148 posts, read 312,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpathmom View Post
Hello everyone,

I would suggest Brookland, Fort Lincoln, Fort Totten, or Woodridge in NE DC, I would suggest Sheppard Park, Petworth or Brightwood in NW DC and I would suggest the Hillcrest, Fairfax village or Fort Dupont areas in SE DC. There are some other good neighborhoods with lots of Black professionals in DC though, I just named some of my personal favorites. In PG county, I would say Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Greenbelt, Laurel, Largo or Mitchellville. There really aren't any Black neighborhoods with a high concentration of professional Blacks in VA so I didn't bother. Well... maybe Alexandria for VA.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative6 View Post
I would suggest Brookland, Fort Lincoln, Fort Totten, or Woodridge in NE DC, I would suggest Sheppard Park, Petworth or Brightwood in NW DC and I would suggest the Hillcrest, Fairfax village or Fort Dupont areas in SE DC. There are some other good neighborhoods with lots of Black professionals in DC though, I just named some of my personal favorites. In PG county, I would say Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Greenbelt, Laurel, Largo or Mitchellville. There really aren't any Black neighborhoods with a high concentration of professional Blacks in VA so I didn't bother. Well... maybe Alexandria for VA.
I would add in Takoma, DC, Manor Park, DC (though north end is safer), and Silver Spring, MD. There are many Black Professionals I know in these areas. Hyattsville, MD is also nice.

There are Black Professionals in Arlington and Alexandria, but the further away from the urban core, the less diverse it gets. I really do not know many black professionals who live far out there outside of PG.

With all that being said the DC area is EXPENSIVE. Black, White, it doesn't matter, the COL is high. There are not many middle class neighborhoods in DC, the few left are quickly becoming more affluent.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Prince William county, VA is affordable and has great schools. Quite a lot of black professionals out there a lot with other races, it's quite diverse actually. Look at Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Montclair, Manassas, Dumfries, Dale City.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,040 times
Hi,
You posted this almost six months ago. I wondered how it turned out for you. I am in a similar position but as a teacher (!) Please update me at: [email]caribbeanprincess@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 04-20-2014, 08:01 AM

39 posts, read 155,531 times
are you looking to rent or buy? how much space are you looking to have? where will you be working? as others have mentioned, these are the basic and important first cut set of variables that would help us offer you ideas and suggestions.

also, assuming your DD will be in 1st grade, you need to think about the type of school for her. As another PP mentioned all the close in jurisdiction are all equally fantastic but there are differences in terms of before/after school care (some districts guarantee it whereas in others there are long wait lists). and once you can help us with more information we would be able to provide you with feedback on schools too.

GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: