Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 AM

200 posts, read 560,922 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently living in Falls Church, VA but planning to relocate to somewhere in Maryland between Bethesda and Baltimore. My girlfriend study at University of Baltimore but fortunately, she doesn't need to commute during rush hour and she doesn't go to school every day.
My office is in Bethesda, I usually arrive at the office around 10 AM leave the office around 6.30 - 7 PM. We are wondering:

What would be a good place to live for our situation? I 've heard that commuting on I-95 and I-495 into downtown Bethesda is horrible so I am looking for a place close to Rt 29 like north Silver Spring or Burtonsville, how will the commute be coming down Rt 29 to Bethesda during rush hour?

Is there any recommended apartment in this area? We are looking for 1 BR or 2 BR / 1 Bath in the range of $1,300 - $1,600? We actually found a place called "Hampton Hollow", it look pretty nice from the website.

I also hear that Columbia is a very nice place but it 's kinda hard to commute from there. Also heard that Laurel is nice but not sure whether it would be a wise choice commuting down I-95.

Thanks
Nat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

240 posts, read 1,022,650 times
I lived in Hampton Hollow years ago but that area has declined tremendously near the Safeway. Did you notice the police satelite station near the rec center/bus parking lot?

It's safer if you would look a little further down near the Giant area. There are townhouses and an apartmtent complex off of Blackburn Road. Country Place Apts on Blackburn Lane. Very quiet at night, safe, and access directly to 29 and 95. I lived in that neighborhood for 5 years in a SFH. There are townhouses and SFH near the complex. Not many other apts.

Country Place Apartments in Burtonsville, Montgomery County, Maryland - Apartment Showcase

Country Place
3900 Blackburn Lane
Burtonsville, MD 20866

I believe Greencastle Blvd, or McKnew road ??? spelling have townhouses also. Check craigslist or longandfoster.com for rentals.

This is a great midpoint especially for your hours. I worked in Bethesda. If you are leaving a little after RH, it will not take you long to get home. I went to school at Hopkins in Baltimore. Also, an easy commute.

Please check out the Amish Market in Burtonsville Shopping Center. You'll love it. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck with your search

Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 AM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,354 times
I live in Laurel and commute to Downtown Silver Spring. 95 is usually not too bad in the morning. It is when you hit the 95/495 interchange where you start crawling. This morning I got to work in only 20 minutes. Yesterday it was 45 minutes. You also can take 29 from Laurel by way of Route 198, which has no major traffic (except a million or so UPS trucks coming from the warehouse). 29 can also be a breeze on some days or a total nightmare another. If you can get to New Hampshire Avenue without a backup up to that point, then it can be a pretty quick trip.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,306,068 times
How many more years of school does she have? The reason I ask is that while the logical choice is to look for something in between the two... the fact is that traffic moving towards Bethesda is simply "HORRIBLE".

If she can put up with it for a year or two, my suggestion would be to be in the Rockville/Kensington/Wheaton area or even in Bethesda itself (I have no clue about the rental market, so I can't tell you what the availability would be in your price point).

I lived in Potomac for 6 years and commuted to BWI area the last two... the distance was no fun (45 miles each way). But the commute through the back roads wasn't too bad. And if she is not even traveling during rush hour... it should not be an issue. My average commute would be around an hour give or take 5-10 minutes. We moved to the Ellicott City area last year, and my wife did the commute back to Rockville for her job (what a trooper)..... the commute ended up to be 1.5 or so. Just to give you somethign to go by.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM

25 posts, read 166,026 times
Nat: Check out the Columbia area, right in between the two, closer to Rt. 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland