Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM

21 posts, read 35,653 times

Advertisements

I am from NC and looking for a job, probably in an elementary school. I am ready for a change and want to be at least near a big city. I don't want to work in the city though, just be able to visit and enjoy some of the city life. Is this a good idea? Where would be a good place to live and work that is not super expensive (I know it will still be more than I am paying now in NC), but also not in the boonies? I was thinking I could save some money if I don't need to be right near a metro station.

BTW I'm mid-twenties, female, no family or pets. Not really looking to move to another college town either.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,073,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levainville View Post
I am from NC and looking for a job, probably in an elementary school. I am ready for a change and want to be at least near a big city. I don't want to work in the city though, just be able to visit and enjoy some of the city life. Is this a good idea? Where would be a good place to live and work that is not super expensive (I know it will still be more than I am paying now in NC), but also not in the boonies? I was thinking I could save some money if I don't need to be right near a metro station.

BTW I'm mid-twenties, female, no family or pets. Not really looking to move to another college town either.

Thanks in advance.
Just based off the little information that you have provided, it seems as though you probably should be gearing your search towards the suburbs of Baltimore. There are some really expensive suburbs up there, but not as bad as the DC ones. I think we might need a little more perspective here, what type of money are you looking to spend for rent? The reason I ask is because people who aren't from this area get sticker shock when they see the prices so your price range probably will give us a good idea of what's realistic for you.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM

so, my salary is going to be around 40k. I'm planning to live with a roommate.

I'm also looking at Virginia. Apartment sites list about $1200 for a 2BR 2 Bath near Manassas, which is doable. Is that too far to reasonably be able to go into DC? What would be some other good areas to check out?

Or would Baltimore be better?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I'm also looking at Virginia. Apartment sites list about $1200 for a 2BR 2 Bath near Manassas, which is doable. Is that too far to reasonably be able to go into DC? What would be some other good areas to check out?

I used to live in Manassas for a short time. It's a great small town. It's one of those places where you feel like you are somewhat close to DC but it's far enough away that it's not completely influenced by it's culture. The rule of thumb with Manassas though is there are some mixed bag places. There are some areas that should absolutely be avoided. Do you know the name of the complex(es) that you are considering? I might be able to give you some insight. For the record, I stayed in Westgate. Not really the greatest place. The apartments are nice, but there was definitely some gang activity that was going on over there while I was there. Not to scare you, but it just shows you how it can be in that area

Also as far as the drive, Manassas would be about 30-40 minutes on a non rush hour time to DC. If you want to go to DC for the weekend, it really isn't too bad and if you just want to ride the metro, there is a metro station about 12 miles up I-66 that you can ride to the city as well. The great thing about Manassas is that there are things to do there, especially in the Old Town part, and there are some nice places close by like Fairfax, Gainesville, and Woodbridge just to name a few.

Some other areas to check out would be Laurel, MD, Bowie, MD, Sterling, VA, and Waldorf, MD. All of these places are still a little ways from DC, but you would still be able to find places in your price range. Do you have a preference of DC over Baltimore? How close do you need to be to the DC if that is what you are considering?

Edit: I forgot to mention another great thing about Manassas is that it is surrounded by multiple school systems. Manassas is split into a city and county part. The city has a school system and there is also the county part which is Prince William County, which has it's own school system. Next to Manassas, the city of Manassas Park has it's own school system (just 4 schools though). And close by there is Loudoun County, Fauquier, Stafford, and Fairfax County schools, so as someone working in elementary schools, there are a lot of options for jobs.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have only quickly looked at two places online: TGM Sudley and Amberton. I definitely have to look more and also I don't know exactly where I'll be working. Any thoughts on those two? I would definitely be in favor of avoiding gang activity Also, are there any elementary schools I might not want to work at (based on the area they are in)?

I think 30-40 minutes sounds fine. I would definitely avoid rush hour whenever I decided to visit. But on a side note, if I were to drive there for dinner or something, is that feasible (like around 5:30-6)?

My main reservations about Baltimore are that it sounds like vehicle titling is crazy and expensive, and I keep hearing it is the murder capital of the US, etc. But, I think that probably just goes into there being bad pockets in any big city, and you have to be smart about where you are.

At first I didn't think DC would be "new enough" since I've visited a few times, but I am warming up to the idea because living there would be different (and my friends say they could see me there more than Baltimore, for whatever reason)

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,640,152 times
Quote:

Did you already land a teaching position? If not, how do you know what your salary will be?

My vague sense is that teachers salaries are somewhat higher in the more expensive jurisdictions.

Thats why I never understand the "where should I look for a job, it must be an area with a low cost of living" posts.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,832,724 times
Ok I am going to be a big gigantic killjoy here and if it bothers anyone please ignore me.

Knowing what I know now after having lived here a few years, if I were a person whose career or family were not specifically tied to the D.C. area, I would not voluntarily come and live here. Full stop.

As a teacher making 40k a year, you are essentially going to be one of the "working poor" in this area. Your salary simply does not compete with the majority of people in this area. Maybe that doesn't apply to the far-flung suburbs like Manassas, but I don't know. I live in Silver Spring. I have friends who are teachers in Manassas (and yes there are gangs in the schools out there), and I feel that they are very financially pressured.

I understand that you are a young person, and you want to live someplace vibrant with culture and lots of jobs, but I think if you are un-tethered to this area you have better options. When I came to D.C. I was young and just married and excited to be in the "big city," and now I'm just so over it. Traffic is horrible, food is expensive, eating out is expensive, rent is expensive, insurance is expensive, clothes are more expensive, the freaking METRO fares are outrageous, taxes are high, EVERYTHING is expensive (i.e. you are nickel-and-dimed to death), all the fun events you want to attend are crazy-crowded, the weather is not that great, and sometimes it feels like a gigantic rat race that I, personally, am not really tempted to participate in but am still annoyed to witness. You may not care about these things right now (I didn't) but in the next few years you may start a family and want to establish yourself, and it might get hard to leave where you've planted yourself. And it is not pleasant to establish yourself in a place where you don't come out at the end of the month with more than a few dollars left over.

That said, if you do end up here anyway, there is a lot to enjoy. I don't mind it so much here, but my husband and I both have careers that sort of anchor us to this area. If I get the opportunity to leave, I will, because I have a child now and it is annoyingly expensive. That's just one person's opinion.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Did you already land a teaching position? If not, how do you know what your salary will be?

My vague sense is that teachers salaries are somewhat higher in the more expensive jurisdictions.

Thats why I never understand the "where should I look for a job, it must be an area with a low cost of living" posts.
Yeah, I would assume so. I think that is my conservative estimate. It could be closer to 50k and that is only for 9 months, so if I am able to do some outside tutoring, it could be more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Ok I am going to be a big gigantic killjoy here and if it bothers anyone please ignore me.

Knowing what I know now after having lived here a few years, if I were a person whose career or family were not specifically tied to the D.C. area, I would not voluntarily come and live here. Full stop.

As a teacher making 40k a year, you are essentially going to be one of the "working poor" in this area. Your salary simply does not compete with the majority of people in this area. Maybe that doesn't apply to the far-flung suburbs like Manassas, but I don't know. I live in Silver Spring. I have friends who are teachers in Manassas (and yes there are gangs in the schools out there), and I feel that they are very financially pressured.

I understand that you are a young person, and you want to live someplace vibrant with culture and lots of jobs, but I think if you are un-tethered to this area you have better options. When I came to D.C. I was young and just married and excited to be in the "big city," and now I'm just so over it. Traffic is horrible, food is expensive, eating out is expensive, rent is expensive, insurance is expensive, clothes are more expensive, the freaking METRO fares are outrageous, taxes are high, EVERYTHING is expensive (i.e. you are nickel-and-dimed to death), all the fun events you want to attend are crazy-crowded, the weather is not that great, and sometimes it feels like a gigantic rat race that I, personally, am not really tempted to participate in but am still annoyed to witness. You may not care about these things right now (I didn't) but in the next few years you may start a family and want to establish yourself, and it might get hard to leave where you've planted yourself. And it is not pleasant to establish yourself in a place where you don't come out at the end of the month with more than a few dollars left over.

That said, if you do end up here anyway, there is a lot to enjoy. I don't mind it so much here, but my husband and I both have careers that sort of anchor us to this area. If I get the opportunity to leave, I will, because I have a child now and it is annoyingly expensive. That's just one person's opinion.
I appreciate the honesty-sorry you are not enjoying it so much

What other options would you suggest? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

My main reason for picking DC is I want to be within driving distance of NC (like less than 7 hours or so, just so I don't have to fly). Also, I think anywhere further south is just going to be same ole same ole (but I could be wrong), and going west doesn't seem to hold too much excitement.

I still really like NC and had planned on possibly moving back after I finish my internship year, unless I really love wherever I move.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Not true. Arlington actually pays less than Prince George's County starting out. It varies between jurisdictions

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,461,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

I agree with that. The DC jobs are the #1 best thing about DC.

Any random job that a person can do anywhere else, I've found that 'anywhere else' is generally going to have a higher quality of life for a more modest income earner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland