Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM

207 posts, read 432,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yes, I was referring to Adnell Woods. You're right, it is piecemeal; in fact, houses are in two separate parts. I thought about buying there years ago. But I was turned off. Steeplechase looks better.

But Northridge, which is not far away is the nicest in that general area. Very pretty community.
Agreed. Northridge is gorgeous. I love how the houses were built in the forest vs. clear cutting them all. I'm not sure if Wyngate is still considered Old Bowie or Glenn Dale, it's sort of ambiguous, but Wyngate is also quite upscale, and huge lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
So I've decided to just focus on Bowie.
Have you researched Northridge? The closest elementary school is not high-ranked at all, however.

Springfield Manor (off Lanham-Severn Rd in Bowie, 20720) is another option. The currently assigned elementary and middle schools for this subdivision are good. Plus Bowie High, which is decent to good, depending on who you ask.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
Old Bowie is hit or miss. I am not a huge fan of Adnell Woods, something about it isn't aesthetically pleasing to me, sort of hodge podge or something, but it seems fairly nice overall. Steeplechase is nice, it was built in the 80's in the Old Bowie area off of High Bridge Road.

As for the areas around Bowie HS, I'm a little perplexed by that too. I quite like the Belair Town townhouses for what they are, and the M Section is no worse than anywhere else. The I, Y, and V sections do get more crime than one would expect, especially Yorktown for whatever reason, so maybe that is what Educated Bro is talking about,

The E Section may look fairly new and well manicured, but don't let that fool ya. It's grittier than it appears for sure. I know a person who lives in the single family part of Covington, south of Walmart and she has had numerous property crimes, a break in and had her car stolen out of her driveway.
Owners near Belair Town are renting the homes to the Voucher families. Police are getting more and more calls there each night. I'm getting a lot of more clients in Belair Town and some of the "M" sections of Bowie (which is behind BHS and the Freestate Plaza" The "I", "Y", and "V" sections get a little more calls and crime also.

"E" section, "N" and of course the Covington sections, are more crime ridden. Most of the condos are being rented out to the voucher/section 8 residents. Also when i was looking at renting at Governor's Green, thye asked will I have a voucher. That right there tunred me off. I like how folks that cant afford to live in Bowie and Laurel have a little assisntance, but sometimes that brings down the overall beauty and reputation of the area. Dont get me wrong, Bowie & Laurel crime have more property crimes and break ins and areNOT like Temple Hills, Glenarden, and Seat Pleasant crime where it is more personal crimes, murders, etc.

I always get the look when folks ask me what area of Probation I cover. When I respond "Bowie, Largo, UM, and a sliver of Laurel," they are surprised. SMH

Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,885 times
If i can jump in, I was looking at The Meridian at Bowie apartments, which are in what I'm assuming is the "E" section (I can put two and two together!)

Y'all are talking about more crime and worse areas than the other, nicer parts of Bowie, but in an absolute sense, is it particularly bad for, say, a single guy? I understand I'm not in the nicest, safest city on earth (we're probably in the wrong country for that, sadly), but if I'm living away from the urban centers like downtown Silver Spring, I'd like to get some of the benefits that are supposed to come with that, like less crime.

This website (which I just stumbled onto) seems to imply the specific neighborhood the apartments are in are sorta separated from the higher crime areas by Mitchelville Road: Bowie MD crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Does that ring true to you guys?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blochwave View Post
If i can jump in, I was looking at The Meridian at Bowie apartments, which are in what I'm assuming is the "E" section (I can put two and two together!)

Y'all are talking about more crime and worse areas than the other, nicer parts of Bowie, but in an absolute sense, is it particularly bad for, say, a single guy? I understand I'm not in the nicest, safest city on earth (we're probably in the wrong country for that, sadly), but if I'm living away from the urban centers like downtown Silver Spring, I'd like to get some of the benefits that are supposed to come with that, like less crime.

This website (which I just stumbled onto) seems to imply the specific neighborhood the apartments are in are sorta separated from the higher crime areas by Mitchelville Road: Bowie MD crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Interesting that parts of Kettering are now considered a part of Bowie per them. Ofcourse when i lived in Kettering for a few years after Bowie that part ( which they show as part of Bowie ) had a Upper Marlboro address. Zip was 20748. Been long ago so yeah. Ofcourse back then there has nothing but forest and open fields ( With some farm houses ) between Kettering/193 aka Watkins Park DR and Pointer Ridge along Central Ave.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Watkins Park is considered Glen Dale since my church is off Watkins Park.. but I have a client on the other side of the Street and it is considered UM. Perrywood has an UM address, but Kettering has a Mitchellville or Largo address. But they associate it with Bowie. I think for "property values" they give it a Bowie name but its not even Bowie..

Same goes for Hyattsville. They have Fed Ex field, Sherriff Rd, and Palmer Park areas with a Hyattsville name but that is straight up LANDOVER.

Some parts of Laurel now stretch into MoCo around Burtonsville for the name and up near Maple Lawn even though it is Fulton.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Watkins Park is considered Glen Dale since my church is off Watkins Park.. but I have a client on the other side of the Street and it is considered UM. Perrywood has an UM address, but Kettering has a Mitchellville or Largo address. But they associate it with Bowie. I think for "property values" they give it a Bowie name but its not even Bowie..

Same goes for Hyattsville. They have Fed Ex field, Sherriff Rd, and Palmer Park areas with a Hyattsville name but that is straight up LANDOVER.

Some parts of Laurel now stretch into MoCo around Burtonsville for the name and up near Maple Lawn even though it is Fulton.

Gets kinda confusing eh?

Never noticed that with Hyattsville either. Was considered Landover back when. Think Landover Mall etc which is how close to Fed Ex? So yeah that makes zero sense.. Basically suggesting that Riverdale and New Carrollton is now also Hyattsville. I don't think so. I always thought of Hyattsville as being along/west of 1 with Riverdale etc to the east.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Also when i was looking at renting at Governor's Green, thye asked will I have a voucher. That right there tunred me off.
My gf currently lives in Governor's Green and while going to pick her up a few times last summer, I used to see a guy walking around wearing a house arrest ankle bracelet! The few times that I saw him, he was mainly chilling in front of one of the buildings with his boys or walking across 301 going to Exxon. So my assumption was that he was staying in one of the apts with someone.

While I've slept over at GG at my gf's apt many times, I never felt in danger, but at the same time, I wouldn't choose to rent an apt there. I was turned off to them 2 years ago when I came to view an apt and the assistants in the front office made me wait until they finished their conversation and then told me there were no available apts to view. That was enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blochwave View Post

My gf also stayed at the Meridian and while visiting and sleeping over there I also never felt in danger there (personal or property danger). I also thought about renting there when I first moved up 2 years ago but I didn't like the layout of the 1 br apts they had available and also the complex just felt a bit too congested for me. I decided to rent at Heather Ridge instead. The complex is a bit more open and I like the style of the apts. It is right next to the town center but I haven't had any issues with personal or property crime. Lately there have been a few guys who have had the rims off their cars stolen but that's about it. I do like being able to walk a short distance to the town center and to the BTC park right behind city hall/the police station. But after a couple years of renting and getting familiarized with the area, I'm now ready to buy a house

Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
Agreed. Northridge is gorgeous. I love how the houses were built in the forest vs. clear cutting them all. I'm not sure if Wyngate is still considered Old Bowie or Glenn Dale, it's sort of ambiguous, but Wyngate is also quite upscale, and huge lots.
Wingate is considered Glenn Dale. I have a friend who just moved into there. Her house is HUGE and BEAUTIFUL

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 13,754 times
Its good for u to live in Bowie. Because its considerd u have live in that place in ur childhood period. U know all about in that place, u understand everything. And enjoy urself ,dont worry for this. just focus how to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland