Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM

631 posts, read 1,404,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Davidsonville has always been pricier then Bowie though.

HA.. I lived in one of those Cape cods as a child. Never knew or gave it much thought that the homes all lacked a basement. Any reason for it that is known?

Agree about Davidsonville. My Aunt still owns a home there and has for 30+ years. It is alot more expensive. I know Crofton used to be but was unsure of current status.
Crofton is still expensive, and with the development of newer neighborhoods, and the Waugh Chapel TC, its getting pricier to live there. There has been a saying that Crofton now is what Bowie was 10 years ago. That isn't good...

Quote:
Sad to hear about south Bowie/Pointer ridge which is where i lived way back when. Thus 1970s.. Ofcourse it started to go a little downhill before i left the whole region in the early 90s ( i remember hearing people putting the blame on the expansion of metro into the area which they claimed brought trouble into the area from DC/Inner beltway etc etc etc ) but i had thought maybe it was a temp thing. That was a beautiful and safe neighborhood back when.
Metro doesn't go to Bowie, the last stop is New Carrolton or Largo. If you mean the MetroBus, even that doesn't run all the time in Bowie, just the C22 and B22.

Most of Bowie's good areas are the 20715 zip code, with the exception of Old Bowie and near Bowie HS.

South Bowie-20716 and areas of BTC and Northview and "E" Sections aren't safe and have more crime. Bowie PD gets more calls in these areas not to mention the schools in the area aren't that good either with the exception of Heather Hills.

West Bowie-the 20720 area code over near Hillmeade Rd and High bridge are good safe areas, they have pockets of crime in some but overall are good, decent homes.

I work in Probation, so I can tell u all the areas the police, and crime are in Bowie.. Overall Bowie, Laurel and UM have good areas and are more desirable than elsewhere in the county. Its just sad that folks are still moving over the county line for better services and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM

494 posts, read 809,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Crofton is still expensive, and with the development of newer neighborhoods, and the Waugh Chapel TC, its getting pricier to live there. There has been a saying that Crofton now is what Bowie was 10 years ago. That isn't good...

Metro doesn't go to Bowie, the last stop is New Carrolton or Largo. If you mean the MetroBus, even that doesn't run all the time in Bowie, just the C22 and B22.

Most of Bowie's good areas are the 20715 zip code, with the exception of Old Bowie and near Bowie HS.

South Bowie-20716 and areas of BTC and Northview and "E" Sections aren't safe and have more crime. Bowie PD gets more calls in these areas not to mention the schools in the area aren't that good either with the exception of Heather Hills.

West Bowie-the 20720 area code over near Hillmeade Rd and High bridge are good safe areas, they have pockets of crime in some but overall are good, decent homes.

I work in Probation, so I can tell u all the areas the police, and crime are in Bowie.. Overall Bowie, Laurel and UM have good areas and are more desirable than elsewhere in the county. Its just sad that folks are still moving over the county line for better services and schools.
Yes i was referring to the bus line. Back when it was a hot topic in Pointer Ridge. Ofcourse so was busing etc etc etc. Looks like they were correct in what would happen to the area. Some food for thought?

Re: Hillmead Rd area. That area always felt separated ( more upscale etc ) from the rest of Bowie itself. My moms bestfriend lived there. And yes most of the homes were pretty nice.

Nice to hear this all from a good source ( my grandmother worked at 911 till 1982.. Was in Upper Marlboro back then in a tiny building which more resembled a old house if i remember correctly? ) but still sucks to hear what has happened to a once nice neighborhood i lived in and the schools.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM

207 posts, read 434,165 times
Quote:

Crofton is still desirable, specifically in the sought after "Crofton Triangle." But, it is true that Crofton is experiencing some of the same issues Bowie has in recent years. The issues are mostly contained to the "piggy back" townhouses/condos in the Riedel Road area.

I think if the OP and others wondering about 20720 can afford it, there are a couple hidden gems located around Church Road. Old Stage/Woodmont Estates is nice and is fairly established with a lot of long time home owners. I have a friend that grew up there and have many great memories of riding bikes and running around the woods there (safely.) You can get a 4 bed 3.5 bath, 3,500 sqft home for under $400,000 in Old Stage. It's quiet and there is only one outlet. West View (Forest) is another nice area just north of there. Both seem to fall under the radar when house hunting in Bowie.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 AM

712 posts, read 1,101,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
Crofton is still desirable, specifically in the sought after "Crofton Triangle." But, it is true that Crofton is experiencing some of the same issues Bowie has in recent years. The issues are mostly contained to the "piggy back" townhouses/condos in the Riedel Road area.

I think if the OP and others wondering about 20720 can afford it, there are a couple hidden gems located around Church Road. Old Stage/Woodmont Estates is nice and is fairly established with a lot of long time home owners. I have a friend that grew up there and have many great memories of riding bikes and running around the woods there (safely.) You can get a 4 bed 3.5 bath, 3,500 sqft home for under $400,000 in Old Stage. It's quiet and there is only one outlet. West View (Forest) is another nice area just north of there. Both seem to fall under the radar when house hunting in Bowie.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep these areas on my radar as I house hunt .

Regarding the bolded, what issues are you speaking of? I mainly go to Crofton to shop at Wegmans and have briefly looked around for SFHs in the area, but as you all have mentioned, it's more expensive there compared to Bowie. So I've decided to just focus on Bowie.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 AM

Issues in Crofton are nothing too major, sort of like parts of South Bowie (20716), parts of Crofton are starting to look a bit run down and neglected. There are more teenagers loitering around than there used to be, and an increase in drug busts.

Last edited by PGC Native; 06-10-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,450,583 times
Quote:

I have seen more of Westview (which is really nice looking and always appears quiet and well-kept), than Old Stage (which is more off the beaten path and very quiet, from what I have seen). I agree those would be good choices.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Interesting. What parts near the high school are troublesome? The townhouses? The I section? Because the houses directly across the street and in the M section all look good.

I already knew about Old Bowie. I wonder how those residents of the newer houses are faring?

The E section seems like it is off the hook, which is really too bad. I wonder if the apartments and condos (and townhouses) bring increased crime? My mother lived in one of the senior apartments in the area a few years back. I recall the adult children living with their parents in the "senior" apartments. C'mon now. You are grown and can't afford your OWN place?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Interesting. What parts near the high school are troublesome? The townhouses? The I section? Because the houses directly across the street and in the M section all look good.

I already knew about Old Bowie. I wonder how those residents of the newer houses are faring?

The E section seems like it is off the hook, which is really too bad. I wonder if the apartments and condos (and townhouses) bring increased crime? My mother lived in one of the senior apartments in the area a few years back. I recall the adult children living with their parents in the "senior" apartments. C'mon now. You are grown and can't afford your OWN place?

Old Bowie is hit or miss. I am not a huge fan of Adnell Woods, something about it isn't aesthetically pleasing to me, sort of hodge podge or something, but it seems fairly nice overall. Steeplechase is nice, it was built in the 80's in the Old Bowie area off of High Bridge Road.

As for the areas around Bowie HS, I'm a little perplexed by that too. I quite like the Belair Town townhouses for what they are, and the M Section is no worse than anywhere else. The I, Y, and V sections do get more crime than one would expect, especially Yorktown for whatever reason, so maybe that is what Educated Bro is talking about,

The E Section may look fairly new and well manicured, but don't let that fool ya. It's grittier than it appears for sure. I know a person who lives in the single family part of Covington, south of Walmart and she has had numerous property crimes, a break in and had her car stolen out of her driveway.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM

The only development I can truly say is sort of sketchy in North Bowie would be Princeton Square. The townhome community across from Tasker. I lived there when I was a kid. I saw a lot of stuff go down that would rival SE DC in terms of violence. Then again, that is where most of the residents were moving in from.

Last edited by PGC Native; 06-10-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: typo...must have coffee

Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Old Bowie is hit or miss. I am not a huge fan of Adnell Woods, something about it isn't aesthetically pleasing to me, sort of hodge podge or something, but it seems fairly nice overall. Steeplechase is nice, it was built in the 80's in the Old Bowie area off of High Bridge Road.

As for the areas around Bowie HS, I'm a little perplexed by that too. I quite like the Belair Town townhouses for what they are, and the M Section is no worse than anywhere else. The I, Y, and V sections do get more crime than one would expect, especially Yorktown for whatever reason, so maybe that is what Educated Bro is talking about,

The E Section may look fairly new and well manicured, but don't let that fool ya. It's grittier than it appears for sure. I know a person who lives in the single family part of Covington, south of Walmart and she has had numerous property crimes, a break in and had her car stolen out of her driveway.
Yes, I was referring to Adnell Woods. You're right, it is piecemeal; in fact, houses are in two separate parts. I thought about buying there years ago. But I was turned off. Steeplechase looks better.

But Northridge, which is not far away is the nicest in that general area. Very pretty community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland