Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 14,750 times

Advertisements

We are interested in building a home with DR Horton specifically in the Birdlawn neighborhood. Does anyone in the area have experience with this builder, good or bad? Thanks in advance for you feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow_wow View Post
We are interested in building a home with DR Horton specifically in the Birdlawn neighborhood. Does anyone in the area have experience with this builder, good or bad?
I am not living in Maryland, but now live in a community where DR Horton is a builder. They succeed by underpricing everyone else. Naturally, they cut corners. If you understand that, you can work with them. Birdlawn looks interesting because they have one acre lots and the prices look very good. You will have to ask yourself if the price still looks good after you add all the options you want.

You also should look at some of the built-up DR Horton communities, and talk to the neighbors, if possible. Also Google "DR Horton complaints" and see if anything is relevant to Maryland.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 AM

671 posts, read 1,548,578 times
I bought at the DR Horton neighborhood a little ways down 210 from Birdlawn, at Tantallon on the Potomac. They have some of the nicest designs by way of architecture for budget 'luxury' homes (and it is all relative; my house costs 4x of the houses immediately surrounding the development), but DR Horton does indeed make a ton of profit during the actual building process.

OK, rant on: They will use wood even if it is visibly damaged. They use builders that do not speak English and are incapable of basic measurements. They use just one project manager to oversee multiple sites - good luck having him actually catch problems. To give you an idea of how bad contractors and lack of caring/focused project managers is a bad mix: There were multiple areas of my house that the angles of the walls were entirely wrong (as in, not 90 degree right angles, more like 75). Promises made by the sales people are reneged upon, which they will fight tooth and nail to refuse to honor and conveniently protect themselves from lawsuit due to their binding arbitration clause that you sign upon the initial sales agreement. They promised almost every person in the Tantallon on the Potomac site that purchased the most expensive house model - the Monticello - that it would have dual furnace, two zone heating. Guess what? We all got one zone, one furnace heating and were told to 'take it or leave it'! They are so cheap that they do not even use actual wood for the window encasements. They actually use faux wood stylized drywall. BTW, don't even get me started on nail pops or paint or sanding. You will have a lot of what you don't want, not enough of what you need. It is for lack of better words pathetic.

In any case, it is obvious that they know that they have an inferior quality product. That is why they will rush you during the inspection process. By rush, I mean they will give you 1-2 hours to go through the entire house. Time is spent arguing with the project manager over each thing you point out (the irregular corner issue I mentioned earlier, for example, had resulted in me being told 'that's just how it is'. I had to go to the project manager's boss to get them to fix it, and there's still one corner outstanding). In other words, you will miss a lot. And the things that you do point out that they agree to fix (which they may or may not write down; more often than not they refuse to write it down on their PISD (sp?) list) are not always fixed, either. For example, in one of my bathrooms is a piece of blue tape that they stuck on during the inspection process to mark as a 'do out'. To this very day, not only was that issue not fixed, the blue tape smugly remains on that wall. I have not taken it off to remind me of the evils of DR Horton.

PS edit: 90% of DR Horton's answers to fixes are either using wood putty or caulk. Apparently DR Horton's project manager got his degree from 'Handyman University'

Last edited by molukai; 02-19-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM

377 posts, read 666,176 times
This just popped as available:

Old listing with pictures - HOMEVISIT VIRTUAL TOUR: 12309 SURREY CIRCLE DR, FORT WASHINGTON, MD

Current Advertisment - 12309 SURREY CIRCLE Dr, FORT WASHINGTON, MD 20744 | MLS# PG8013195 | Redfin

Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 14,750 times
Thanks for the info molukai! We really appreciate your feedback.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,105,985 times
I liked Molukai's reply also. Regarding the two-zone HVAC, it is a very good idea. But you obviously have to get it in writing if you want it.

Re: the window casings. Most mass-production builder do not use real wood for trim anymore, even with crown moldings. They use plastic or medium density fiberboard (MDF).

Depending on your budget, I'd keep looking at other builders.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM

goldenage1, thanks for the info on the window casings. Since you are knowledgeable about these things, could you tell me if it is normal for every single double-pane low e window (DR Horton uses the window subcontractor MI) to have gaps on both sides? I don't care how energy efficient DR Horton markets its windows; cold air is rushing through two openings in every single window I have. And the sliding doors too, for that matter.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM

Air rushing in isn't normal.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Cold air rushes through the power sockets too.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Just don't give in. They plan to break peoples will. It is your money and house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland