Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM

11 posts, read 31,561 times

Advertisements

hi all.I posted on this forum some weeks ago asking for suggestions on nice affordable places to live in Maryland.I've now narrowed it down to Rockville or Silverspring.
Preferences- i'll be living alone so a 1 bed apartment is preferable.proximity to metro is ideal as i'll be working in DC.my budget is in the 900-1200/month and it'll be nice if part of utilities is included in this.
The difficulty for me is that I live outside of the United states, and will be arriving less than a week before i resume work-not ideal but can't help it!so i'm relying on forums and sites with reviews of apartments in the areas above.It seems that the reviews of apartments in my price range are pretty negative.if it's not roaches,it is rodent infestation or bugs.it's very frustrating and time is of the essence.i'll be in the states in just over a month's time.i'd appreciate useful tips and suggestions.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM

246 posts, read 1,355,905 times
try craigslist for potential independent rentals. They may be cheaper. In Rockville, everyone has suggested that living in the King Farm area or Fallsgrove developments are best (safest and most convenient with shops (maybe slightly away from Metro...depending if you have a car), however, I don't know if it will fit your budget (your upper budget is more of a lower budget for Rockville).

Here are some links that could help you:
Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.
Apartments Arlington, Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania - ApartmentShowcase.com

Good luck and let me know what you decide in the end, as I am curious.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM

@Zotmeister.thanks.I've been looking at apartment ratings and frankly most of the reviews for apts under 1200 are brutal!any idea what oak hill apartment in Silver spring is like?I see their 1 BR is less than 1100 and includes part utilities??is Silver spring a cheaper area than Rockville?As for the car,it seems inevitable that i'll get one once i settle down.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM

246 posts, read 1,355,905 times
Unfortunately you are out of the country. Best is to look at the places yourself. The websites usually make the place look really good and the reviews sometimes are really bad (pissed off tenants, I guess). Rockville is pretty expensive as many tech companies are situated there and they make higher salaries than nearby areas. If you go to Bathesda, it will be even higher. I don't know much about Silver Springs. Post specific apartment complexes you are interested in and maybe someone can give you an opinion.....but an objective opinion by definitition is mutually exclusive.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks again Zotmeister.I'm considering Suburban Hill Apartments in Silver Spring, MD 20903.the reviews are pretty good and a 1BR apt for just under 1200(inclusive of all utilities).Is there anyone who knows what the place is like?I,m not too sure what commuting to DC will be like from there(metro or when i'm driving later).

Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,312,767 times
Owen..I sent you a PM

Gil

Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,354 times
Suburban Hill apartments used to be nice back in the 1980s when I lived just a block away from there. It is a fairly large building with maybe 5 or six levels. Unfortunately, it borders Langley Park which is viewed as a not very desirable area to live. The reviews for it seem to be positive though. Its an older building, and if I remember correctly, the apartments were fairly large.

For commuting, take a metro bus straight up New Hampshire Avenue. Traffic isn't too bad going into DC from that area. Its only a few miles to the DC line. Once in DC, either keep busing it or catch the Metro line at the Ft. Totten Station.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM

@Gil3-thanks.i replied already.
@kjg1963-the bus you've talked about, does it go to the metro station?pardon my ignorance,i haven't spent a single night in DC before!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenjay74 View Post
@Gil3-thanks.i replied already.
@kjg1963-the bus you've talked about, does it go to the metro station?pardon my ignorance,i haven't spent a single night in DC before!
Yes, at least it did years ago. Stops right in front of Suburban Hill and goes up New Hampshire to DC. I don't remember the number but it had Ft. Totten (which is a metro station) on the sign.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 27,661 times
I've found Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. to be a good source. Your budget is low, and you should consider a studio or a roommate, or else you are almost certainly in for roaches. The Miramont is one of cheaper properties in Rockville that is fairly nice and in a good location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland