Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,033,461 times

Advertisements

Gazette.Net: Baker plan aims to ‘bring our neighborhoods back’

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,478,242 times
Sounds good but I'm concerned about why this wasn't thought of before. Seems like common sense, flood the areas with high crime to help bring down the perception of high crime that currently grips the county.

Hope it works now.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,576,089 times
It sounds good but would need to see a more detailed plan on how it would be executed. Transforming a neighborhood is a really complex process. Especially enticing businesses to establish themselves. However if it is done, I wouldn't expect it to really take root for about 10 years (depending on how distressed the area is).

Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,622,534 times
Here's an idea. Whatever happened to beat cops? You know, the cops that actually walked the neighborhood during a shift and actually knows the residents and the troublemakers. All the cops do now is ride around in their cruisers. Some neighborhoods only see them if they are on a call. I really feel that cops need to be assigned to neighborhoods. Often times when my wife and I talk to police they speak rudely to us as if we're some ghetto hood rats. But if they actually got to know us I think a good relationship could be made and then they would have a vested interested in the neighborhood they serve. Gone are the days when a cop actually knocked on your door and said, "Hello Mr. X. how's everything? Just checking in on you."

Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,478,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Here's an idea. Whatever happened to beat cops? You know, the cops that actually walked the neighborhood during a shift and actually knows the residents and the troublemakers. All the cops do now is ride around in their cruisers. Some neighborhoods only see them if they are on a call. I really feel that cops need to be assigned to neighborhoods. Often times when my wife and I talk to police they speak rudely to us as if we're some ghetto hood rats. But if they actually got to know us I think a good relationship could be made and then they would have a vested interested in the neighborhood they serve. Gone are the days when a cop actually knocked on your door and said, "Hello Mr. X. how's everything? Just checking in on you."
Maybe it has to do with the layout of the county, it's not the most walk able place around even inside the Beltway.

Also did you watch "the Wire", your post sounds like one that was made during a townhall in on scene.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I agree. I believe it also has to do with the shadiness within the department. There are a lot of cops who just don't care to clean up things. When I've had to call the police, it feels like pulling teeth to get them to come out and when they do come, I've had a few that has had the same attitude you described. I think it's ridiculous to think that we help pay their salary and they still believe it's okay to give us poor service.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,829,214 times
Quote:
From what I have read, one of the benefits of neighborhood watch programs is that the people in the neighborhood form a relationship with a police liason, who answers their concerns directly. That relationship helps create a sense of community. Is that doable in PG county, I wonder?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
From what I have read, one of the benefits of neighborhood watch programs is that the people in the neighborhood form a relationship with a police liason, who answers their concerns directly. That relationship helps create a sense of community. Is that doable in PG county, I wonder?
I think it depends on the neighborhoods and the association that governs it. When I was growing up, the neighborhood that I grew up in didn't have a lot of crime, but neighbors were vigilant, and we communicated with police as a often as possible about our concerns. The only reason why a closer relationship wasn't formed was because the police station (in Oxon Hill near the MD/DC border) was so far away from my neighborhood (Accokeek). But other than that the willingness was there.

Where I live at now, it's the polar opposite. We have police that watch our neighborhood even as part-time off-duty officers, but they don't have much of a relationship with the community. The biggest reason for that is because the association that governs our community has a horrible relationship with residents and thus no one wants to participate. Everybody just feels as though they are on their own and no one trust each other, so they definitely aren't going to trust police.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 PM

169 posts, read 300,933 times
PGC is so spread out resources would be impossible to find to fund all of these plans. Getting neighborhoods back requires citizens to come together to become a neighborhood. I have told several of my neighbors on various occasions that it takes good neighbors to have a good neighborhood. I am white and most of them are black but they all agree. They know I look out for them and they do the same for me. We don't get funding from any county administration for this - it is common sense.
One thing that does stand out is the lack of police patrol cars rolling through here. I am glad they aren't needed on a regular basis but their presence is somewhat comforting. I used to have an AmStaff years ago and we were in my front yard. A patrol car came down my street and the officer skidded to a stop when he saw my dog. He jumped out alking what kind of dog it was and even opened the trunk of his car to hand me some pamphlets. Wow, he stopped for a dog and ignored any other of the sights he passed by.
I asked him why we never see their presence in the neighborhood on a more regular basis and he told me it is because we have no calls for them to come through on a regular basis.
After he was done with his idiot answer I told him he was free to get back into his car and leave. He looked at me with a puzzled face because I basically dismissed him but he did as told.
So much for gaining neighborhoods back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland