Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,949,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Maybe we get that treatment because we're black men? I don't know. I concur with EdwardA, all I can go on is what I have experienced. And please don't let me start talking about some of these teenage girls in Oxon Hill who will walk out in the middle of street in rush hour traffic, expecting people to slam their breaks so they can cross. I really hate to say it but this goes beyond driving. I'm disrespected by black women even when I go to the store. I have black women who will cut in front of me in line, just like they would in their car. It has gotten so bad that even my wife (yes a black woman) has noticed how I get treated. Is it a coincidence? I don't know, but that's what I have seen through my own two eyes.
Maybe the black women you are bumpimg into can see through your facade? That you hate black women because you do possess an extreme amount of self hate?

I'm sorry champ, but when I go to safeway, or to the cleaners or anywhere of the such, the majority of the black women I meet show me plenty of respect, smile, and speak- maybe its you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,088,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Maybe the black women you are bumpimg into can see through your facade? That you hate black women because you do possess an extreme amount of self hate?

I'm sorry champ, but when I go to safeway, or to the cleaners or anywhere of the such, the majority of the black women I meet show me plenty of respect, smile, and speak- maybe its you!
, I don't think I follow. So if I'm standing in line and a woman walks in front of me and takes my spot, I'm a victim of my own self hate? Huh? What if my wife, who again is black as well, is standing right next to me while this is happening, is she a victim of self hate?

There is no facade with me. Even if there were one you wouldn't know if there's one while we're driving or while I'm standing in line in a grocery store.

Maybe just maybe it's a lot of young women who have not been around real men, don't know how to show respect to a man, or perhaps they are doing these things as a way to get attention that otherwise do not get. No, if someone does wrong to me, it's my fault.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
, I don't think I follow. So if I'm standing in line and a woman walks in front of me and takes my spot, I'm a victim of my own self hate? Huh? What if my wife, who again is black as well, is standing right next to me while this is happening, is she a victim of self hate?

There is no facade with me. Even if there were one you wouldn't know if there's one while we're driving or while I'm standing in line in a grocery store.

Maybe just maybe it's a lot of young women who have not been around real men, don't know how to show respect to a man, or perhaps they are doing these things as a way to get attention that otherwise do not get. No, if someone does wrong to me, it's my fault.
Firstly, you seem extremley sensitive to things young women are doing- If your a grown man, is it not your job as a MAN to make sure generations following in your footsteps act correctly? I am not saying be superman, but I can only imagine the vibe you are giving off in line, if everyone you meet is rude to you-

Secondly- Have I faced rude drivers, sure who hasnt- were they black women? well some are, but some are also white, hispanic, asian, polynesian, old, etc, why must you single out the sisters?

Thirdly- If someone cuts in line, and I have an issue with it, I would open my mouth and say excuse me young lady, but I was in line, blah, blah- I am not scared of my own folks, so if their is a problem than I will address it at that time- I can bet a dollar to donuts the young gal, or the young dude with the skinny jeans on will apologize, say excuse me and get back in his/her place in line-

Lastly- The idea that these stereotypes exsist for black women, and youth is sad, but these stereotypes being perpetrated by a black man on a forum, where some may not have an idea regarding black culture, is just pitiful- Peace bro!

Last edited by cool rob; 08-16-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Firstly, you seem extremley sensitive to things young women are doing- If your a grown man, is it not your job as a MAN to make sure generations following in your footsteps act correctly? I am not saying be superman, but I can only imagine the vibe you are giving off in line, if everyone you meet is rude to you-

Secondly- Have I faced rude drivers, sure who hasnt- were they black women? well some are, but some are also white, hispanic, asian, polynesian, old, etc, why must you single out the sisters?

Thirdly- If someone cuts in line, and I have an issue with it, I would open my mouth and say excuse me young lady, but I was in line, blah, blah- I am not scared of my own folks, so if their is a problem than I will address it at that time- I can bet a dollar to donuts the young gal, or the young dude with the skinny jeans on will apologize, say excuse me and get back in his/her place in line-

Lastly- The idea that these stereotypes exsist for black women, and youth is sad, but these stereotypes being perpetrated by a black man on a forum, where some may not have an idea regarding black culture, is just pitiful- Peace bro!
I'm only pointing these things out to make a point. I don't lose sleep at night thinking about these things.

Okay I have faced rude drivers as well, but I have dealt with an overwhelming majority who are black women. I can't change that. Do I think they are the only ones who do it? No. I'm just stating that has been my experience. I never said that all black women do this. I'm amazed at how my thoughts have expanded to a stereotype. Never suggested that it was true for all black women.

Sometimes I do open my mouth. Sometimes I don't. The only reason why I don't do it all the time, because I know the moment that I open my mouth it will be a conflict waiting to happen. I try to avoid being confrontational with people. That's not to say that I accept it, but I know if someone pushes my buttons then I can honestly become a different person. I would rather just leave it alone and avoid conflict especially the way people are these days.

I'm amazed at why you seem to be blaming me for being a victim of young people who haven't been raised. It is just like people from this county that gets offended at any criticism made about this place. I'm only pointing things that I have experienced, but once again just like so many who live here instead of seeing the issue, you blame the person who is pointing out facts. Look around this county. When you look at the news, you don't see people being killed by 50 or 60 year olds, these kids in their teens and 20s going around killing people. You see little 3 or 4 year old kids running around by themselves with no supervision. There is clearly something wrong with the mentality of people in this area and how kids are being raised, including the young women. Why do you have kids trying to rob people when they live in wealthy families who have half-million dollar homes? Do you not think the kids in this county have issues? The behavior I'm pointing out is not just exclusive to me, it is the culture of this area and one of the reason why we have a black eye for a reputation.

If you don't mind me asking you what part of PG do you live in? The reason I ask because I guarantee you, I can name a business/place within 10-15 miles of where you live that has a ghetto attitude and will talk to you like you aren't even human. That's where we are at here.

And before you go on a long rant, I don't just come on forums and complain about these things, I'm active in my community. I mentor young people, I talk to people all the time, and I'm raising a child. I'm not just talking about the problem, I'm trying to be a part of the solution.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
i'm only pointing these things out to make a point. I don't lose sleep at night thinking about these things.

good stuff!

okay i have faced rude drivers as well, but i have dealt with an overwhelming majority who are black women. I can't change that. Do i think they are the only ones who do it? No. I'm just stating that has been my experience. I never said that all black women do this. I'm amazed at how my thoughts have expanded to a stereotype. Never suggested that it was true for all black women.

bro, is it possible that you see only black women driving, because you work/play in places only black folks frequent? When you get a chance, head over to the nova board, and check out how many people are complaining about crazy drivers in northern va, and guess what they are not black women! This area just has a plethora of poor drivers!

sometimes i do open my mouth. Sometimes i don't. The only reason why i don't do it all the time, because i know the moment that i open my mouth it will be a conflict waiting to happen. I try to avoid being confrontational with people. That's not to say that i accept it, but i know if someone pushes my buttons then i can honestly become a different person. I would rather just leave it alone and avoid conflict especially the way people are these days.

see that's the part i'm talking about, a closed mouth doesn't get fed- you are assuming that, someone based on what you have heard, read, experienced, whatever is going to react poorly to you speaking to them about their cutting in line- that is stereotyping champ!

i'm amazed at why you seem to be blaming me for being a victim of young people who haven't been raised. It is just like people from this county that gets offended at any criticism made about this place. I'm only pointing things that i have experienced, but once again just like so many who live here instead of seeing the issue, you blame the person who is pointing out facts. Look around this county. When you look at the news, you don't see people being killed by 50 or 60 year olds, these kids in their teens and 20s going around killing people. You see little 3 or 4 year old kids running around by themselves with no supervision. There is clearly something wrong with the mentality of people in this area and how kids are being raised, including the young women. Why do you have kids trying to rob people when they live in wealthy families who have half-million dollar homes? Do you not think the kids in this county have issues? The behavior i'm pointing out is not just exclusive to me, it is the culture of this area and one of the reason why we have a black eye for a reputation.

honestly, i beleive it was you who posted the homicide stats for the county this year- it seems like the violence is down- i'm sorry, bro, and i have been know to hang around some raggedy areas, but i rarely see 3 and 4 years old out by themselves in the street, if you are seeing that on a regular, then i agree that is a serious problem!

Once again, these scenarios of these hooligans in million dollar homes, ripping and raping throughout the county, just do not exsist- do the kids have issues, of course, but didn't you also post about a group of flash mob dudes who bumrushed a store in montgomery co? Could it be youth in general have issues, not just youth in pg?

if you don't mind me asking you what part of pg do you live in? The reason i ask because i guarantee you, i can name a business/place within 10-15 miles of where you live that has a ghetto attitude and will talk to you like you aren't even human. That's where we are at here.

I live in clinton currently, before that in seat pleasant, baltimore city, fort wash, oxon hill, and northeast dc- i have been here since i could walk and talk and yes I am a homeowner

and yes, the wal-mart in clinton is a $hit hole, but i still have not been a victim of any violent crime their, or any unruly, rude patrons who just cut in line, and treat you like a pos- does it happen, yeah i guess it does, but at the frequency you are describing, nah

and before you go on a long rant, i don't just come on forums and complain about these things, i'm active in my community. I mentor young people, i talk to people all the time, and i'm raising a child. I'm not just talking about the problem, i'm trying to be a part of the solution.

kudos bro- you are actually doing more than me, i raise my two kids, live peacfully, do my part in my neighborhood and keep it moving. Keep up your effort!
bold!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
bro, is it possible that you see only black women driving, because you work/play in places only black folks frequent? When you get a chance, head over to the nova board, and check out how many people are complaining about crazy drivers in northern va, and guess what they are not black women! This area just has a plethora of poor drivers!
That has a lot to do with it. I work within the county, so yes that does. And trust me I go to NoVA at least once a week. I've have voiced my opinion about the driving there. I hate driving over there worst than here. Imagine that.

Quote:
sometimes i do open my mouth. Sometimes i don't. The only reason why i don't do it all the time, because i know the moment that i open my mouth it will be a conflict waiting to happen. I try to avoid being confrontational with people. That's not to say that i accept it, but i know if someone pushes my buttons then i can honestly become a different person. I would rather just leave it alone and avoid conflict especially the way people are these days.

see that's the part i'm talking about, a closed mouth doesn't get fed- you are assuming that, someone based on what you have heard, read, experienced, whatever is going to react poorly to you speaking to them about their cutting in line- that is stereotyping champ!
Hmm...I guess it depends on your perspective. Opening my mouth isn't going to change the fact that it already happened. Sure it may curb the behavior every once and a while, but there is a time and a place. Let me put it like this, if you are driving on the road and someone cuts you off, do you go off on that person EVERYTIME? At some point I'm sure you have to control yourself so that you don't flip off on the wrong person. It is not necessarily them I'm concerned about as much as myself. I know if someone cuts in front of me in the store, if they refuse to move, I become very aggressive. That's a side I would rather not bring out.

Quote:
i'm amazed at why you seem to be blaming me for being a victim of young people who haven't been raised. It is just like people from this county that gets offended at any criticism made about this place. I'm only pointing things that i have experienced, but once again just like so many who live here instead of seeing the issue, you blame the person who is pointing out facts. Look around this county. When you look at the news, you don't see people being killed by 50 or 60 year olds, these kids in their teens and 20s going around killing people. You see little 3 or 4 year old kids running around by themselves with no supervision. There is clearly something wrong with the mentality of people in this area and how kids are being raised, including the young women. Why do you have kids trying to rob people when they live in wealthy families who have half-million dollar homes? Do you not think the kids in this county have issues? The behavior i'm pointing out is not just exclusive to me, it is the culture of this area and one of the reason why we have a black eye for a reputation.

honestly, i beleive it was you who posted the homicide stats for the county this year- it seems like the violence is down- i'm sorry, bro, and i have been know to hang around some raggedy areas, but i rarely see 3 and 4 years old out by themselves in the street, if you are seeing that on a regular, then i agree that is a serious problem!

Once again, these scenarios of these hooligans in million dollar homes, ripping and raping throughout the county, just do not exsist- do the kids have issues, of course, but didn't you also post about a group of flash mob dudes who bumrushed a store in montgomery co? Could it be youth in general have issues, not just youth in pg?
Yes I posted the murder stats. Violence overall is down, but the murder rate is much higher than previous years. And yes kids are indeed coming out of million dollar homes recking havoc. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Accokeek and we had kids selling drugs, vandalizing property and whole bunch of other things. A majority of the kids that were my age didn't go to college and this is in spite of having both parents living with them, parents making well over six figures and never living in the hood. It is there trust me. These kids haven't been raised and are looking for street cred. Sadly they don't know that you don't get street cred in a place named Accokeek.

And as far as the flash mob, I didn't actually post the story, but yes youth all over are doing bad, but I'm just speaking on PG because this is where I'm from and where I live.

Quote:
if you don't mind me asking you what part of pg do you live in? The reason i ask because i guarantee you, i can name a business/place within 10-15 miles of where you live that has a ghetto attitude and will talk to you like you aren't even human. That's where we are at here.

I live in clinton currently, before that in seat pleasant, baltimore city, fort wash, oxon hill, and northeast dc- i have been here since i could walk and talk and yes I am a homeowner

and yes, the wal-mart in clinton is a $hit hole, but i still have not been a victim of any violent crime their, or any unruly, rude patrons who just cut in line, and treat you like a pos- does it happen, yeah i guess it does, but at the frequency you are describing, nah
Yes that Walmart is horrible, I've never gotten rude service there but it is just a horribly kept up store. I would encourage you to one day, get up early and go to the Bojangles in front of Iverson Mall. I've gotten an attitude from people working there just for asking for barbeque sauce. Not saying it happens everytime, everywhere in this county, but it happens enough to raise a flag for me to think that there is something wrong here.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,458,700 times
Maybe part of the answer is to NOT go to Bojangles in front of Iverson Mall. If a place is filled with people who have bad attitudes or a "ghetto mentality," I don't frequent the establishment again.

Maybe some of the kids in the half-million homes have parents who weren't raised well themselves but were able to afford the house, by either honest or not-so-honest means. A former pro baller who was shot at his home in Bowie was accused of having drugs and gambling paraphernalia in his home. You never know who is living in an upscale neighborhood in any area. Some folks just keep it quiet and don't "poop where they eat" and come off smelling like a rose.

Also, wannabe thugs are probably being raised well but they choose to do what they want for whatever reason. That does happen. Not everything is so black and white (no pun intended), despite the fact that people feel good about making issues black and white. More gray areas require more thought, which, face it, many people don't want to do.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,555,241 times
Quote:

Give me a break you make it sound like folks are walking into a store full of black women and they just go off. My point is that my experience with agressive drivers which have resulted in shouting matches (mostly on their part, because I really could care less about them) have involved black women. That's just my experience. It's not scientific or anything like that. Just my experience.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
That has a lot to do with it. I work within the county, so yes that does. And trust me I go to NoVA at least once a week. I've have voiced my opinion about the driving there. I hate driving over there worst than here. Imagine that.

Hmm...I guess it depends on your perspective. Opening my mouth isn't going to change the fact that it already happened. Sure it may curb the behavior every once and a while, but there is a time and a place. Let me put it like this, if you are driving on the road and someone cuts you off, do you go off on that person EVERYTIME? At some point I'm sure you have to control yourself so that you don't flip off on the wrong person. It is not necessarily them I'm concerned about as much as myself. I know if someone cuts in front of me in the store, if they refuse to move, I become very aggressive. That's a side I would rather not bring out.

Yes I posted the murder stats. Violence overall is down, but the murder rate is much higher than previous years. And yes kids are indeed coming out of million dollar homes recking havoc. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Accokeek and we had kids selling drugs, vandalizing property and whole bunch of other things. A majority of the kids that were my age didn't go to college and this is in spite of having both parents living with them, parents making well over six figures and never living in the hood. It is there trust me. These kids haven't been raised and are looking for street cred. Sadly they don't know that you don't get street cred in a place named Accokeek.

And as far as the flash mob, I didn't actually post the story, but yes youth all over are doing bad, but I'm just speaking on PG because this is where I'm from and where I live.

Yes that Walmart is horrible, I've never gotten rude service there but it is just a horribly kept up store. I would encourage you to one day, get up early and go to the Bojangles in front of Iverson Mall. I've gotten an attitude from people working there just for asking for barbeque sauce. Not saying it happens everytime, everywhere in this county, but it happens enough to raise a flag for me to think that there is something wrong here.
That WalMart is a death trap waiting to happen. Folks speeding, people trying to turn. I remember, yet again another black woman, in her big SUV that pulled out of the WalMart literally a second before impact with my car. She sped into the shopping street without even stopping. She thought it was funny, I guess she thought she would be okay if my little Sentra hit her SUV. She would have been wrong and it would have been her and her kids in the hospital if I did not react in time.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

It's their parents job. Did you see the clip in Philly where this young mother got her thug brothers and friend to shoot up a bus after an elder man objected to her spanking her child? True the spanking was mild but her reaction to him was anything but what do you want Meatkins to do parent every young woman she comes across acting uncouth?

Stereotypes don't just pop out of thin year. Folks observe enough to draw their own conclusions. Frankly being Black is even more reason to not only acknowledge this behavior exists in our community but condemn it.

Let me guess you disagree with Mayor Nutter in Philly for condemning the black kids in the flash mobs as a disgrace to their race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland