Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Waldorf MD 6 85.71%
NYC 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 PM

59 posts, read 325,328 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I was offered to teach at Stone HS as well as at a very small school in NYC. I have lived in Upstate NY and am trying to choose which would be better. I am a littler nervous about moving out of state. I know Stone is a big school, but what is it like? The scoop?

I would also be renting. How are the prices? Where should I look to rent? What's good about the area? Not so good? Being in my 20s, how is the nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Thomas Stone HS

Any advice about Thomas Stone HS and living in Waldorf?

Old 08-18-2006, 04:34 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,534 times
I don't know a lot about the Thomas Stone school. Charles County (Waldorf), has been booming population-wise for quite a while. The Waldorf area is mostly a bedroom community for the DC metro. There's a regional shopping mall located in the community of St. Charles which is adjacent to Waldorf. The main road through town (Rt 301) is several miles of strip shopping centers, fast food joints, big box retailers, and car dealerships. In other words, sprawlsville. Most of the residential sections are kind of seperate neighborhoods. Many seem quite nice, but there are some bad ones as well. I'm not so familiar with Waldorf to know which are which in most cases. A couple of years ago there was a bit of an uproar over some high profile crimes in Charles county, and at the mall as well. I guess there is a concern among the local law enforcement folks that gangs have moved into the area. While this is not unique to the DC metro, it was a first for Southern Maryland.
I don't have any specific stats, but from the folks I know who live there, the Charles county schools are probably middle of the road academically. For what it's worth, when the wife and I were considering a move from an inner ring suburb of DC, we picked Calvert county over Charles for the low key lifestyle and the great reputation of the school system.
Hope this helps a bit. I didn't mean to make it sound completely negative about Waldorf. It use to be a "party" town back in the old days (slot machines, strip joints), but that has been pretty much cleaned up. I think a younger person would head to DC or Alexandria, VA for some fun night-life. There are many nice areas in Charles, but of course the cost of housing(and most likely renting) is quite high.
Good luck on your future and hope you find a nice fit where ever you end up.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:11 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
I don't know Waldorf very well, but when I was first out of college I worked in King George, VA. It was across the river from Waldof (about 20 miles I think), and a lot of poeple I worked with lived in Waldorf. I lived in Fredericksburg instead. When I was looking for a place to live, I was told the two areas are pretty comparable, with Waldof being a bit more small-town and rural oriented than Fredericksburg.

I lived there for 2 years and never made any friends. I never went out and did anything. There was no nightlife to speak of. Fredericksburg had the advantage for me in that there was a college there. I thought I could meet people close to my age. Never did. Never could figure out how to meet people. Everyone I worked with was a lot older. Every club I tried to join was older. Even my gym was full of older, married people I could not relate to. Partially my own fault I guess, but overall, I found the community to be very family oriented, with not many options as a young, single person.

If you are married and want to start a family soon - Waldof. If you are straight out of school, single, and want some nightlife and options to meet people your age - NYC.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. I am single, out of college two years now. I spent the year in NYC, but wasn't sure if I want stay or not.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 70,871 times
Default No

I worked in Charles Co. I know Stone HS, You don't want to work there. I lived in Waldorf for 1 month when I first moved here. Waldorf is a terrible place to live. Its very crowded and the crime rate is rising. You don't want to live there. The schools are not good either-low academically.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,950 times
Well Waldorf is a very expensive place to live, but teacher there would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland