Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

I hope you have a chance to read the interesting documents I submitted. Great article you wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 PM

96 posts, read 146,958 times
Well this is awkward.......

Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM

125 posts, read 153,884 times
The problem with the national harbor is that its very difficult to get to. no metro, no bus lines. You have to drive in, and there is not the possibility of not finding street parking. its very commercial. its also pretty insane they block the harbor from the neighborhood next to it. I wish there were a open path just for cycling or walking from behind the harbor. But they make it difficult.

The restaurants are pretty bad, but charge alot of money. You get better service and food in d.c.

I am disappointed with the harbor, but i think if they make changes it will work out well for it.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch666 View Post
The problem with the national harbor is that its very difficult to get to. no metro, no bus lines. You have to drive in, and there is not the possibility of not finding street parking. its very commercial. its also pretty insane they block the harbor from the neighborhood next to it. I wish there were a open path just for cycling or walking from behind the harbor. But they make it difficult.

The restaurants are pretty bad, but charge alot of money. You get better service and food in d.c.

I am disappointed with the harbor, but i think if they make changes it will work out well for it.
Your complaint about no bus lines is 8 years out of date, fyi.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,454 times
Default Back at you

So stay in Montgomery, and in North Beach!!! There is nothing wrong with PG, it is the association with one of the Nations richest and affluent AFRICAN American Counties that you make the remarks of "Come-on Man its PG County".

Well I was just in Bethesda, a few months ago downtown, every store is closing, or close down. Its almost scary you see the stores name and get interested only to find its closed, every other shop. What is that about? I would be willing to think there is not much in North Beach either. Well I live in PG IN National Harbor/Fort Washington area, It is booming and it is always full and crowded year round as it is always something going on. Its location right outside of DC with no hassles of getting there by various transportation methods readily available (land or water) depending on the time of year.

Contrary to your post in 2010. In 2010 I was overseas and back since 2013 I have not seen better patronage as this area grows and still growing to its full potential. I shout out to the residents to be steadfast and go about quietly making it great. We even have the Redskins... not that is one that PG must continue to fight to keep. You know Virginia they always want after they see it works.

In fact we cannot stop people from North Beach and others, i.e. Howard, Montgomery, Delaware, NY, NJ Boston, Minnesota, China, RUSSIA FRANCE BRAZIL, EGYPT, SAUDI, ISRAEL, ENGLAND, AUSTRALIA, GERMANY and list goes on, and every foreign nation you can imagine, excited about being here. oooohh!!! lets not forget the rude and entitled folks from Virginia enjoying the festivities, activities shopping ambiance as well making claims to the PG County now.

I see more VIRGINIA tags living at harbor and surrounding area fort Washington camp springs, yes and even Suitland, and Capitol Heights, because of the entities investing in Maryland. Wonder what this is about? You tell me. So Come on Back, I think you will enjoy it any time of the year.. 20 plus years invested tax payer of PG County. I believe in potential of PG is enormous, as it is always the underdog that brings credence to the "Nay Sayers" such as yourself.

I thank Mr. Peterson for believing the DREAM.. AS a proud PG County resident. I encourage all native PG residents to engage, and ensure that we keep growing as it is our tax dollars at work, and our openest to grow and be bold progressive that has made PG a place where others want to come, and willing to invest. We are on Precipice of surpassing many people past reservations and expected failures. Yay!!!!... to our country officials for being steadfast. Please continue to make us great. To all Stay tune.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:04 PM

34 posts, read 28,241 times
I lived in the Harbor over a year now, and I strongly disagree with this poll/post. They built the NH in 2008, by 2010 what the h*ll did you expect NYC.... I believe it's a great place to live. This is coming from somebody who lived in Old Town and Mont. County for years prior to moving the Harbor. Maybe the person who wrote this post is the true "National Disaster".

Old 11-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch666 View Post

They have multiple bus lines (NH1/NH2). If you can't afford the Harbor don't complain about it, just get a better job....

PS

Why is 666 behind your name������

Last edited by NH_Resident1984; 11-02-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 08:10 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Resident1984 View Post
I lived in the Harbor over a year now, and I strongly disagree with this poll/post. They built the NH in 2008, by 2010 what the h*ll did you expect NYC.... I believe it's a great place to live. This is coming from somebody who lived in Old Town and Mont. County for years prior to moving the Harbor. Maybe the person who wrote this post is the true "National Disaster".
Wasn't going to respond as I have given up posting to city data a long time ago as I focus my energy on me and the betterment of my net worth as opposed to these insane posts defending a MUD that doesn't put money in my pockets; unlike the infinite posts on every single move NH makes that doesn't benefit any of the posters.

First off, NH_Res., this thread is ancient and my comments stood in that moment... and even stand today. If you read the posts, I you may be able to put things into context. I give props when it's due and criticism where necessary. Get out of your feelings, read and understand the big picture.

Ultimately, NH is doing well. Heck, beats 300+ acres of dirt as it was before NH existed.

However, there are grave concerns that still exist to date.
  • Signage created in front of Oxon Hill Manor, before the circle, that states "Welcome to/Entering Fort Washington and Oxon Hill" as to show a demarcation between "National Harbor" (which is Oxon Hill) and the incumbent areas of Ft Wash & Oxon Hill.
  • Having a neighborhood in NH that can literally throw a rock at the CVS on Fort Foote road, but can't get to it because of a gate that blocks off NH from surrounding, incumbent neighborhoods.
  • 3rd times the charm for trying to get Oxon Hill Road traffic right...AND THEY'll still need police directing traffic in December. Whenever you have to inject manual labor into a process that should be controlled autonomously (traffic lights) then you have screwed up.
  • Can invest funds into traffic concerning NH but not rest of Fort Wash & Oxon Hill.
  • 1-dimensional fixation on bringing metro and/or public transportation to NH; however, a subway in Accokeek that could catch traffic from 228-to-210 travelers is inconsequential to public residents.
  • Poor street design entering and throughout NH.
  • Lack of thought to on-street parking; coupled with continuous garage issues when I'm there. Example, just was down there today (11/3/2016) intent on eating lunch at Walrus. drove around the complex 3 times looking for a space as I like on-street parking as easy to get in and out. After 3rd pass, decided I'd hit the closest garage. It was shut down. So, I left, drove to VA and hit the Panda Express.

My focus is NH's impact on surrounding areas and incumbents who've been here and not transported their a--es here from VA or Mont. Co. (hint, hint). If you're happy behind your gate tucked away from the OH and FW folks and you're happy with walking 3/4 of a mile to the CVS on American way when you could've walked 100 ft to CVS on Ft Foote, so be it. As a NH resident, you have the luxury of waiting 20 minutes for a shuttle bus to pick you up and drive you to Chipotle so you can pick up your food; whereas, I have to have someone circle the block and wait until I'm done picking up the food so they can come and get me because Chipotle and other businesses (MOM's) are redlining the OH and FW communities. When the subway comes to NH in 2045, I hope by then you'll consider yourself assimilated in PG county enough so that you'll think about your PGC brethren as us folk in Tantallon and OH are still complaining about the 40 new sprawls built that have to travel on a 2-lane, antiquated Livingston Road because we dare not jump on 210 with the rest of the Accokeek and Waldorf folk who cannot get a subway. When you get your Wegman's or god-knows what bourgeois market in NH (not that Potomac market crap), I hope you think about the responses that I've received from MOM's and other markets and businesses who said that our area doesn't fit their demographic and density criteria. In fact, why don't you call Chick-fil-A and ask them why they keep flirting with establishing a presence in the area (food trucks and janky outlets) but won't commit. Ask Peterson why he won't put money into revitalizing Rivertowne (he may have sold this by now as it's managed by others). As you sit on your rooftop deck, watching the ferris wheel complete its rotation, think about the internal squabbling over funds that haven't even come in yet. As you sit at your computer smugly calling me a "national disaster", I hope you put my concerns & criticisms into context and understand that my concerns are for the residents of this area; whereas, your concerns are just about you and your NH neighborhoods and what you've gotten out of this. Unlike you, I think it would be pretty cool to hear the political analysts on national cable shows say "...live from the Gaylord in Oxon Hill, Maryland" when the RNC hold their annual conventions. Soon, I'd love to hear, "live from MGM in Oxon Hill, Maryland..." I think it'd be cool to see Oxon Hill re-branded as something Tony; this sexy, hip, up and coming area that is being revitalized. But, it won't happen, because Peterson and company have determined that Oxon Hill's geographic land is perfect, but it's residents aren't. So, instead of working to be a part of re-branding Oxon Hill, he's annexing a part off for his folk.

So, I hope all of you let this 5+ year-old thread sunset itself; IMHO, it is deprecated. I just find it very unfortunate that someone who has invested in the public school system with high-performing kids, someone who routinely walks down NH, someone who spends his dollars feeding a family of 4 at McLoone's, Walrus, Red Stone, and Chipotle on a weekly basis, someone who shops at Tanger, someone who shops in Rivertowne and spends their tax dollars and shows concern for their community is deemed a national disaster by a vagabond. Let's see how long you stay and how invested in the community you become. Hopefully, you won't be lured by the short commute and easy access to 495 to shop at Safeway on Belle View Road in Alexandria because you find the PGC retail outside of NH unappealing.

God bless you. Enjoy the rest of your days behind your gate in the soon-to-be-annexed-from-Oxon-Hill... National Harbor Proper.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Wasn't going to respond as I have given up posting to city data a long time ago as I focus my energy on me and the betterment of my net worth as opposed to these insane posts defending a MUD that doesn't put money in my pockets; unlike the infinite posts on every single move NH makes that doesn't benefit any of the posters.

First off, NH_Res., this thread is ancient and my comments stood in that moment... and even stand today. If you read the posts, I you may be able to put things into context. I give props when it's due and criticism where necessary. Get out of your feelings, read and understand the big picture.

Ultimately, NH is doing well. Heck, beats 300+ acres of dirt as it was before NH existed.

However, there are grave concerns that still exist to date.
  • Signage created in front of Oxon Hill Manor, before the circle, that states "Welcome to/Entering Fort Washington and Oxon Hill" as to show a demarcation between "National Harbor" (which is Oxon Hill) and the incumbent areas of Ft Wash & Oxon Hill.
  • Having a neighborhood in NH that can literally throw a rock at the CVS on Fort Foote road, but can't get to it because of a gate that blocks off NH from surrounding, incumbent neighborhoods.
  • 3rd times the charm for trying to get Oxon Hill Road traffic right...AND THEY'll still need police directing traffic in December. Whenever you have to inject manual labor into a process that should be controlled autonomously (traffic lights) then you have screwed up.
  • Can invest funds into traffic concerning NH but not rest of Fort Wash & Oxon Hill.
  • 1-dimensional fixation on bringing metro and/or public transportation to NH; however, a subway in Accokeek that could catch traffic from 228-to-210 travelers is inconsequential to public residents.
  • Poor street design entering and throughout NH.
  • Lack of thought to on-street parking; coupled with continuous garage issues when I'm there. Example, just was down there today (11/3/2016) intent on eating lunch at Walrus. drove around the complex 3 times looking for a space as I like on-street parking as easy to get in and out. After 3rd pass, decided I'd hit the closest garage. It was shut down. So, I left, drove to VA and hit the Panda Express.

My focus is NH's impact on surrounding areas and incumbents who've been here and not transported their a--es here from VA or Mont. Co. (hint, hint). If you're happy behind your gate tucked away from the OH and FW folks and you're happy with walking 3/4 of a mile to the CVS on American way when you could've walked 100 ft to CVS on Ft Foote, so be it. As a NH resident, you have the luxury of waiting 20 minutes for a shuttle bus to pick you up and drive you to Chipotle so you can pick up your food; whereas, I have to have someone circle the block and wait until I'm done picking up the food so they can come and get me because Chipotle and other businesses (MOM's) are redlining the OH and FW communities. When the subway comes to NH in 2045, I hope by then you'll consider yourself assimilated in PG county enough so that you'll think about your PGC brethren as us folk in Tantallon and OH are still complaining about the 40 new sprawls built that have to travel on a 2-lane, antiquated Livingston Road because we dare not jump on 210 with the rest of the Accokeek and Waldorf folk who cannot get a subway. When you get your Wegman's or god-knows what bourgeois market in NH (not that Potomac market crap), I hope you think about the responses that I've received from MOM's and other markets and businesses who said that our area doesn't fit their demographic and density criteria. In fact, why don't you call Chick-fil-A and ask them why they keep flirting with establishing a presence in the area (food trucks and janky outlets) but won't commit. Ask Peterson why he won't put money into revitalizing Rivertowne (he may have sold this by now as it's managed by others). As you sit on your rooftop deck, watching the ferris wheel complete its rotation, think about the internal squabbling over funds that haven't even come in yet. As you sit at your computer smugly calling me a "national disaster", I hope you put my concerns & criticisms into context and understand that my concerns are for the residents of this area; whereas, your concerns are just about you and your NH neighborhoods and what you've gotten out of this. Unlike you, I think it would be pretty cool to hear the political analysts on national cable shows say "...live from the Gaylord in Oxon Hill, Maryland" when the RNC hold their annual conventions. Soon, I'd love to hear, "live from MGM in Oxon Hill, Maryland..." I think it'd be cool to see Oxon Hill re-branded as something Tony; this sexy, hip, up and coming area that is being revitalized. But, it won't happen, because Peterson and company have determined that Oxon Hill's geographic land is perfect, but it's residents aren't. So, instead of working to be a part of re-branding Oxon Hill, he's annexing a part off for his folk.

So, I hope all of you let this 5+ year-old thread sunset itself; IMHO, it is deprecated. I just find it very unfortunate that someone who has invested in the public school system with high-performing kids, someone who routinely walks down NH, someone who spends his dollars feeding a family of 4 at McLoone's, Walrus, Red Stone, and Chipotle on a weekly basis, someone who shops at Tanger, someone who shops in Rivertowne and spends their tax dollars and shows concern for their community is deemed a national disaster by a vagabond. Let's see how long you stay and how invested in the community you become. Hopefully, you won't be lured by the short commute and easy access to 495 to shop at Safeway on Belle View Road in Alexandria because you find the PGC retail outside of NH unappealing.

God bless you. Enjoy the rest of your days behind your gate in the soon-to-be-annexed-from-Oxon-Hill... National Harbor Proper.

After reviewing your essay/novel, I've came to the conclusion that you are truely a National Disater. I don't understand why you are so MAD. The National Harbor isn't a city (not yet), it is PRIVATE PROPERTY. When you see that black gate between us, don't be mad because it's not illegal to put a gate on private property.

Let me clarify somethings for you because you are ASSuming too much. I don't drive or shuttle to Chipotle/the other restaurants on the waterfront because I walk (less than 10minutes). I cannot speak for my neighbors but I shop for groceries in Old Town and off Oxon Hill Road. I also support multiple businesses in OH/PG Cont. I am happy to see all the overall positive changes in PG, YOU SHOULD TOO! You seem angry. NH Residents are just as vested in PG as you and the other NH Haters. We pay higher taxes, not because of the values of the homes but because we pay a "Special Tax" rate. Instead of all the negativity, you should be be happy that NH is bringing value to PG and you. Who cares that you can't find street parking, there is plenty of it off Oxon Hill road or your neighborhood or wherever else you go for lunch. So enjoy your street parking/meal. Be grateful, not bitter.

PS
The changes within the NH does benefit its Resident (property value and quality of life). If you cannot beat them, join them.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Also AJ,

I really do understand your concern but I find it ironic how you mentioned that it would be great to hear media refer to NH businesses as such as Garylord in Oxon Hill, MGM in OH, etc. when the residents of Oxon Hill and FT Wash voted against the National Harbor and Casino to be built. Get real, that's the reason the gates are around the NH. They were REQUIRED by PG due to you simple minded neighbors. The problem isn't Peterson/NH/MGM and their accomplishments, it's your neighbors who continue to vote against everything. Hell, they voted against a Wholes Food years ago. But as soon as a Dollar Tree or Family Dollar is proposed in your neighborhood, they jump right on it. How are you suppose to win, if you set yourself up for failure. Talk to your community, it's not NH fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland