Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 PM

26,478 posts, read 46,782,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I've had 4 Subarus. The 2012 Forester I had was not the same quality as my older models. It is very cheap feeling and developed a number of rattles in the two years I owned it. It also consumes an unacceptable level of oil. I had to add a quart every 1800 miles or so (Owner's Manual says if it uses less than 1 quart every 1200 miles that's normal - Oh okay but not for me in this day and age especially at $11.50 a quart). The oil consumption was unpredictable and is a problem that many owners of newer models have complained about. Also their technology is unacceptable. I bought the bluetooth yet when I upgraded my phone to iPhone 5S it was no longer supported. After over 6 months of calling Subaru and hearing they're working on it I had enough. What good is paying for an option that is virtually outdated by the time the car is sold?

I purchased a 2014 Highlander to replace my Subaru. My wife has a 2012 Highlander and it has been an excellent vehicle. The average mpg is only about 4 mpg lower than my 2012 Forester yet has a V6, is larger, and rides better on long trips. My new Highlander seems like it is from another century technology wise compared to my 2012 Subaru.
2014 Forester is a better overall vehicle than the 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,396,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Subaru's were going to be our second choice. But after test driving both the sub's and the Volvo's, we preferred the Volvo's because they felt more comfortable and handled better and had more room/storage. Plus after watching many hours of various crash tests we were much more impressed with how the Volvo's did than how the Sub's did.

One word about Volvo's, though - stay away from anything with "turbo" and do not buy a Volvo which was produced during the years that Ford owned Volvo. Those were icky years and they didn't use the true chassis - they subbed the Ford chassis. That was about the time that the whole "other cars have caught up with Volvo in terms of safety" thing started coming up. Thankfully, Ford doesn't own Volvo anymore, and the people who do have gone back to the original way of designing and manufacturing them. (Ironically - the Chinese! Go figure?) For now, anyway...

If you want a good Volvo, maybe plan to get one quick... because if the Chinese have their way, they may go to crap here eventually: EXCLUSIVE - Boardroom tension mounts at China-owned Volvo - sources | Reuters

In the PNW you see Subaru's all over the place. They are kind of like the hipster car. Either that or VW Jetta's.
I would say in the PNW Subaru's, Ford F-Series/Dodge Ram PU Trucks and entry level Mercedes and BMW cars and SUVs are the most common

Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,482,296 times
Unfortunately, real world is a little different than government safety tests or corporate public relations.
Most cars (and SUV) offer quite similar levels of safety. (They are all better than 30 years ago, but none perfect)
Most important (but often ignored) are good tires (for specific road conditions)
AWD doesn't help much if the tires lose their grip.
Higher ground clearance is also important, but many SUVs are built low. Toyota 4 Runner and Jeep are among the better.
In some extreme conditions no car is safe, so better avoid dangerous drives.
Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,482,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I know you said you want a SUV, but here are the safest vehicles of 2014.
Infiniti Q50
Volvo S80
Volvo S60
Mercedes-Benz E-class (sedan)
Hyundai Genesis
Cadillac XTS
BMW 5-series
Volvo XC60
Subaru Forester
Mercedes-Benz M-class
Subaru Legacy
Buick Regal
Chevrolet Impala
Safest for what? For some agency staged accident scenarios? These lists are misleading by giving people a sense of security when in reality things often get more complicated.
What about a strong flood that washes your car away and bumps into a concrete wall? Or a car hit behind by an 18 wheeler that not only destroys the trunk but also flips it over into the coming traffic?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,412,760 times
Volvo XC90 was cool when it had a V8, it isn't an option anymore.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,730,657 times
Oh my. Once again, Subaru safety is in doubt...

July 3:

Subaru recalls 660,000 for possible brake failure

July 8:

Subaru joins seven other automakers in Takata air bag recall

Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 PM

3,364 posts, read 4,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Drama Queen? Still ahead of Volvo though Also FWIW, Subaru says it knows of no accidents or injuries as a result of the defect.

Automakers With The Lowest (And Highest) Recall Rates - Forbes

Mercedes-Benz USA: 2.1 million recalled/5.2 million sold; 0.41 recall rate.
Mazda Motor Corp: 5.2 million recalled/9.4 million sold; 0.55 recall rate.
General Motors: 99.3 million recalled/153.2 million sold; 0.65 recall rate.
Nissan North America: 19.1 million recalled/26.8 million sold; 0.71 recall rate.
Subaru of America: 4.3 million recalled/6.0 million sold; 0.73 recall rate.
Kia Motors: 3.7 million recalled/4.9 million sold; 0.77 recall rate.
Toyota Motor Corp: 38.6 million recalled/48.1 million sold; 0.80 recall rate.
BMW of North America: 5.1 million recalled/5.7 million sold; 0.90 recall rate.
Ford Motor Co: 97.0 million recalled/104.7 million sold; 0.93 recall rate.
American Honda Motor Co: 31.1 million recalled/32.9 million sold; 0.94 recall rate.
Chrysler Group: 63.2 million recalled/63.2 million sold; 1.00 recall rate.
Volvo Cars of North America: 3.3 million recalled/3.1 million sold; 1.05 recall rate.

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 07-08-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,010,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Also, I'm thinking Volvo doesn't have the flashy name Lexus or BMW to
be stolen?
I want it higher for flash flooding in my area. I don't want a low, but economy car,
just too small for my needs, darn it, for half the price...
So will have to settle for 17mpg city.

I want to LIVE so I'm thinking Volvo has airbags all over. Right?
Thanks in advance.
Subaru Forester's seem to get rave reviews, and offer much better mileage than 17 in the city, as well as all-time, AWD. They consistently perform VERY WELL in crash-tests, and are doing outstanding in the new "small frontal overlap" test. Also, they are nowhere near $45K even fully loaded out.

If you are bent on spending $45K, then safety seems to be only one criteria that you are looking at, besides ride-height and size.
ETA
*I only read the OP. Seems Subaru has come up since...

Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I would say in the PNW Subaru's, Ford F-Series/Dodge Ram PU Trucks and entry level Mercedes and BMW cars and SUVs are the most common
You see these vehicles because they offer all-time AWD systems as options. Very nice for snow.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I bet it doesn't get that MPG if you use a calculator instead of the car's computer.
I bet it does. Those 5.3L's are very efficient. My 505hp LS7 Corvette got around 26mpg highway using the computer and a hand calculator. City was around 17-19 on the computer, never hand-figured it.

My 5.7L HEMI Jeep gets around 15-16 city, and that is based on the calculator, yes, but I have double-checked it numerous times and found it very accurate. The HEMI is a thirsty animal compared to any other motor its size. I can EASILY see a 5.3L getting what he claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo