Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,244 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to get an SUV for my girlfriend, but I have never bought an SUV or looked into them so I don't even know where to start. Here are the basic things we are hoping to get and the rough price range we are looking to stay in. Also, like I said we are looking for an SUV or similar type of vehicle...like a smaller "SUV" or whatever they call the small SUV's. I am mechanically inclined and do auto body work and painting so I can always pick up one that needs a little attention if need be.

We are looking to spend between $5,000 to $9,000. We are hoping to get a 2004-05 or newer. We live in Northern Michigan so we need 4WD or AWD. She wants an SUV or small SUV-type vehicle. Other than that we're not too picky.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, or if you know SUV's to steer clear of. Just let me know if you know types of SUV's that are good, you don't have to find me one thats actually for sale, I have a lot of places to find SUV's, I just need to know what models are good. (If you know of one for sale though, feel free to let me know about it). Like I said, I am just not very familiar with SUV's, I am good with cars but not sure on SUV's. I really apreciate the help! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
you might be able to find a ford escape for that price but you price range and the years you want will be a major limiting factor on what you can get and most of those cars will be higher milage or in an accident

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,244 times
Yeah I figured we weren't going to have a big range of SUVs we could get for that price with those years. How are the Ford Escapes mechanically, do you know? We were finding quite a few Hyundai Tuscan's and Santa Fe's in the price range/ year range we are looking for...are these Hyundai's any good?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzin360 View Post
Hello,
I am looking to get an SUV for my girlfriend, but I have never bought an SUV or looked into them so I don't even know where to start. Here are the basic things we are hoping to get and the rough price range we are looking to stay in. Also, like I said we are looking for an SUV or similar type of vehicle...like a smaller "SUV" or whatever they call the small SUV's. I am mechanically inclined and do auto body work and painting so I can always pick up one that needs a little attention if need be.

We are looking to spend between $5,000 to $9,000. We are hoping to get a 2004-05 or newer. We live in Northern Michigan so we need 4WD or AWD. She wants an SUV or small SUV-type vehicle. Other than that we're not too picky.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, or if you know SUV's to steer clear of. Just let me know if you know types of SUV's that are good, you don't have to find me one thats actually for sale, I have a lot of places to find SUV's, I just need to know what models are good. (If you know of one for sale though, feel free to let me know about it). Like I said, I am just not very familiar with SUV's, I am good with cars but not sure on SUV's. I really apreciate the help! Thank you!!
Any one of these vehicles will tame Michigan winters with ease while providing you with comfort, reliablity, long life and ease of repair when needed. It would do the prospective buyer well to ignore the size of these vehicles since , on balance, the have no real competition in their class.

These vehicles are easy to find in excellent used condition as well.

2000-2006 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban: Prices - Consumer Guide Automotive

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
The early ford escapes have had problems many of which require expensive transmission replacements. Avoid the jeeps if you dont want to pay a fortune for gas . The korean models offer allot for the money.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
The Escape (and the similar Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute) are established compact SUVs. They are widely available used and affordable to work on. The 4 cylinder models will be sluggish, especially with 4WD.

Other solid compact SUVs are the Honda CRV, the Toyota RAV4, and the Subaru Forrester or Outback. It may be difficult to find these in that price range without high miles.

Hyundai makes good vehicles today - but their earlier models were not so good. I am not sure when exactly they turned the corner, but I would probably stay away from Hyundai models more than five years old.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
I strongly recommend Subarus, and I wouldn't push to make it an SUV.

As the semi-official state car of Vermont, Subarus are everywhere here. My wife and I have owned three so far, and they've been great--very reliable, go anywhere in the snow, and, because they are cars, as comfortable as a car. I don't think any of ours lasted less than 150K.

The first Subaru we had was a Loyale wagon (a model they don't make anymore). When that was getting ready to go I started looking around, including looking at SUV's, and I was not impressed. Specifically, I don't think any of the small- to medium-sized SUV's I looked at had any more room than the Subaru wagon. Unless your GF has very specialized needs, I bet a Subaru wagon will be ample.

It's okay to want an SUV, but for what you're describing, assuming she isn't going to have to drive off-road, a Subaru would be everything she needs.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I strongly recommend Subarus, and I wouldn't push to make it an SUV.

As the semi-official state car of Vermont, Subarus are everywhere here. My wife and I have owned three so far, and they've been great--very reliable, go anywhere in the snow, and, because they are cars, as comfortable as a car. I don't think any of ours lasted less than 150K.

The first Subaru we had was a Loyale wagon (a model they don't make anymore). When that was getting ready to go I started looking around, including looking at SUV's, and I was not impressed. Specifically, I don't think any of the small- to medium-sized SUV's I looked at had any more room than the Subaru wagon. Unless your GF has very specialized needs, I bet a Subaru wagon will be ample.

It's okay to want an SUV, but for what you're describing, assuming she isn't going to have to drive off-road, a Subaru would be everything she needs.
i have to agree about the Subaru line. People that I know that own a Subaru are completely satisfied with the car. Where I get heart burn is the size and repair parts but that's just me.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
i have to agree about the Subaru line. People that I know that own a Subaru are completely satisfied with the car. Where I get heart burn is the size and repair parts but that's just me.
yeah the problem is the OP is not going to find many 05 and up Subaru's for 5K-9K that have not have the snot beat out of the oe were in serious accidents the op should look into saving up some more money or looking into some older suv's that are well maitained

Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Toyota Rav4. Small, and great on snow and ice. Chick car? You betcha.

Safe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive