Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times

Advertisements

The reason that I brought up Connecticut is because "You" mentioned MD's population as being smaller than NC. Population is not a qualifier in this case. Lastly, I don't hate all of Virginia, just the part that you rep. My father is from the Warsaw/Tappahannock area, so I do have some love for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:59 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
You are entitled to you opinion, I just think your opinion sucks. And what about Conneticut? I dont know what your talking about, how did I compare it?

And your opinions are mostly subjective, as are most peoples. But what really gets me is that you voted that you hate VA on the murland board. And talk trash about southern states.

So my question, if you can give any good reason as to why are you on this board?
But first you need to answer why do you STALK the Maryland Boards and make childish trolling rants about how much you hate Maryland and making up Vicious LIES to turn people against Maryland............

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM

105 posts, read 352,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
But first you need to answer why do you STALK the Maryland Boards and make childish trolling rants about how much you hate Maryland and making up Vicious LIES to turn people against Maryland............
Its called a character reference Hoss, and he got caught. Why did I even reply to you?

why do these murlanders still persist on this board?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The reason that I brought up Connecticut is because "You" mentioned MD's population as being smaller than NC. Population is not a qualifier in this case. Lastly, I don't hate all of Virginia, just the part that you rep. My father is from the Warsaw/Tappahannock area, so I do have some love for the state.
That was my point, the population in my opinion is a factor. And I suppose if we really broke down how "richest state" is defined I think the results would be quite different. Like GDP perhaps, in economics I thought that was what defined wealth=richest. But that may not be your def.

why are these murlanders still on this board?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 AM

36 posts, read 150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Someone sounds mad? Born/raised in Maryland(Baltimore) for 18 years, the hype your giving it right now is not deserved. And your post is filled with false statements. If 95% of VA is rural, how does the HR metro, NovA metro and Richmond Metro make up the majority of Va population but yet it's still 95% rural? Makes no sense at all, also YES Maryland is a southern state, (now how southern it is, is arguable as is VA/DE/DC) it seems people have been ashamed to claim the South, We've got to get over this inferiority complex, it's disgusting..I've spent alot of time in New Jersey, Elizabeth/Newark to be exact with my fiancee who's from there and Maryland is definitely NOT a sister city, you say there are no Southern Accents but I know some people born and rasied in PG County that have thicker southern accents than what I hear in the Hampton Roads area of VA (in which people tend have light Southern accents or not much of one at all). So please don't try to "talk down" on another state, because in most peoples mind on the east coast, MD is just the little state you drive threw when trying to get up North to NY or something.
I was exagerrating when I said that VA was 95% rural plus I meant in area not population dist., so take it easy (must have struck a nerve).

I don't really care about your experience growing up in Maryland and if your friends from PG have thick Southern accents. I'm sure if you go to NYC you can find persons speaking with Southern accents. The fact is Maryland is NOT a Southern state, and we have way more in common with New Jersey and Connecticut than Virginia. It's not something to be proud of, or to brag about; it's just the way it is. I've lived for 21 years in two different counties and I know a little something about what I'm talking about. To tell the truth Pennsylvania is more of Southern than Maryland is, if you travel anywhere in the Western half of the state. But even West Virginia isn't considered Southern anymore: they vote for Dem's and joined the Union, plus they have more of a Western MD/PA accent than a Southern accent. I didn't say that Newark was B'more's "sister city," but Baltimore is waaay more like Philly and Newark than it is Richmond or Hampton Roads in terms of politics, industry, layout, and (unfortunately) crime. Plus Richmond is as right-wing as Baltimore is left-wing. Maryland was only one of six states to vote for Jimmy Carter. Does that answer you're question about how liberal MD is?

Maybe you should check the Census ACS just released a few weeks ago: Maryland is the wealthiest state, the most educated state, and has the 3rd lowest poverty rate in the country (used to be lowest). You just can't argue with those cold, hard, unbiased facts. Virginians also hate Maryland, (probably more than any other state), and they tend to call it the "People's Republic of Maryland" or "Merryland." You know if it wasn't for NoVa. Virginia would be just like South Carolina or Mississppi. Richmond has no economy, and Southern VA is in economic turmoil. I'm just counting the days until NoVa secedes, tired of paying taxed to finance the rest of the state.

Let's take a look at the wealthiest states for '07:
1.Maryland
2.New Jersey
3.Connecticut
4.Alaska(?!)
5.Hawaii(?!)
6. New Hamp.
7. Mass.

Let's look at the most densley populated states:
1.New Jersey
2.Rhode Island
3.Massachusetts
4.Connecticut
5.Maryland
6.Delaware
7.New York

Let's look at all the states on the East Coast that voted for Kerry:

-Maine
-New Hampshire
-Vermont
-Connecticut
-Rhode Island
-New York
-New Jersey
-Pennsylvania
-New Jersey
-*gasp* Maryland

Let's look at all the states that joined the RGGI (states that actually give a crap about global warming):

-Maine
-New Hampshire
-Vermont
-Connecticut
-New York
-New Jersey
-Deleware
-Massachusetts
-Maryland
-Rhode Island

Let's look at all the states on the NORTHEAST CORRIDOR:
-Massachusetts
-Rhose Island
-Connecticut
-New York
-New Jersey
-Pennsylvania
-Deleware
-Maryland

Let's take a look at the highest state tax burden:

1.New York
2.Alaska (?!)
3.Wisconsin (?!)
4.California
5.Minnesota (?!)
6.Massachusetts
7.New Jersey
8.Maryland

And it goes on and on and on...

btw these are cold, hard facts...no bias.

I don't know about you guys but these states seem to have a lot in common (looks like our two "territories" of AK and HI have a lot in common with the NE as well ). I could easily come up with similar lists linking VA with NC and the rest of the South. And of course you know which side MD was on in the war (no comments about riot in B'more please, every state in the NE had Confederate sympathizers).

Good or bad geograhically and otherwise Maryland is on par with the rest of the Northeast. NO ONE (that matters) officially classifies Maryland as a Southern state anymore except the 10 or so conservatives living in MD and the CB, the latter of which actually groups Maryland with NJ, DE, and PA for administrative purposes. Maryland is more often grouped with the Mid-Atlantic (which is an annoying "region" since it changes depending on who you ask, but always includes MD) and of course the Northeast.

I hope my little diatribe has convinced those few uninformed among us where Maryland is actually located in our great country.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
That was my point, the population in my opinion is a factor. And I suppose if we really broke down how "richest state" is defined I think the results would be quite different. Like GDP perhaps, in economics I thought that was what defined wealth=richest. But that may not be your def.

why are these murlanders still on this board?
Only complete idiots use gross GDP to gauge how wealthy a state is. Now, GDP per capita is something different. The plain fact is that states are made up of people, and it's the citizens' wealth that matters not how much a state's corporation's produce. Otherwise you could call New York the wealthiest city in America, but if you took a trip down the Harlem, Bronx, or even Brooklyn you would see how ridiculous a statement that is.

Your reference to MARYLANDERS as "murlanders" is another perfect example of the Southern ignorance and animosity displayed towards the state. It must be jealousy...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp4ever View Post
Richmond has no economy, and Southern VA is in economic turmoil. I'm just counting the days until NoVa secedes, tired of paying taxed to finance the rest of the state.

I hope my little diatribe has convinced those few uninformed among us where Maryland is actually located in our great country.
First off, I have nothing against Maryland... it's a fine state. But...

Speaking of uninformed, no economy in Richmond? Not that I'm a fan of this silly us vs them argument, but the Richmond region has more Fortune 1000's than the entire state of Maryland. It has a diverse economy -From biotech to legal to finance to logistics to healthcare, etc etc. and is way below the national average for unemployment. Salaries are decent compared to the quality of life with strong household incomes. Not to mention the HQ for the 5th Federal Reserve District, growing military installations like Fort Lee, and the seat of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court. The region routinely receives business/economic accolades.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
First off, I have nothing against Maryland... it's a fine state. But...

Speaking of uninformed, no economy in Richmond? Not that I'm a fan of this silly us vs them argument, but the Richmond region has more Fortune 1000's than the entire state of Maryland. It has a diverse economy -From biotech to legal to finance to logistics to healthcare, etc etc. and is way below the national average for unemployment. Salaries are decent compared to the quality of life with strong household incomes. Not to mention the HQ for the 5th Federal Reserve District, growing military installations like Fort Lee, and the seat of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court. The region routinely receives business/economic accolades.
Yeah, I may have exagerrated by saying "no economy," but:

Baltimore GDP= ~$106,000,000
Richmond GDP= ~$49,000,000

The only reason Richmond (and NoVa for that matter) has more Fortune 1000 companies is because of the low taxes. New York is really the only high-tax state state that continues to attract lots of Fortune 1000 companies.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I may have exagerrated by saying "no economy," but:

Baltimore GDP= ~$106,000,000
Richmond GDP= ~$49,000,000

The only reason Richmond (and NoVa for that matter) has more Fortune 1000 companies is because of the low taxes. New York is really the only high-tax state state that continues to attract lots of Fortune 1000 companies.
Yeah only idiots use GDP, right on Hoss. Again why am I even responding to this person.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Only complete idiots use gross GDP to gauge how wealthy a state is. Now, GDP per capita is something different. The plain fact is that states are made up of people, and it's the citizens' wealth that matters not how much a state's corporation's produce. Otherwise you could call New York the wealthiest city in America, but if you took a trip down the Harlem, Bronx, or even Brooklyn you would see how ridiculous a statement that is.

Your reference to MARYLANDERS as "murlanders" is another perfect example of the Southern ignorance and animosity displayed towards the state. It must be jealousy...
Hoss here is cracking me up. There we go again, the word weathly, terpsman just cant seem to grasp the concept of the post. Its ok though because he thinks use of gross GDP as an indicator for wealth, only an idiot would do that. *hand on forehead and rolling eyes*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia