Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM

290 posts, read 1,163,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp4ever View Post
I live in Montgomery County, MD in the DC Metro area. The cultural boundaries between North and South, since the beginning of the Civil War, has been the Potomac.

I don't see how MD and VA could possibly be even more different. MD is a densely populated, small, very liberal, Northeastern state, and VA (NoVa aside) is the exact opposite. Virginia definitely has waaay more common with North Carolina than it does with Maryland. Maryland's sister state is definitely more likely to be New Jersey or Connecticut. While 95% of VA is Southern and rural in culture, MD is 95% of Northeastern and urban in culture, and only on the Eastern Shore will you ever encounter someone with a Southern accent. And even Ocean City is beginning to resemble the coastal towns of New Jersey more so than Myrtle or Virginia Beach. Most of Maryland's counties are part of either the Washington, Baltimore, or Philadelphia Metro areas., while the vast majority of Virginia's counties are rural. Western Maryland is (IMO) part of the Rust Belt and more like Western Pennsyvania, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia in culture, rather than Southern.

For those who still don't believe take a visit to Baltimore and Richmond; the two cities couldn't possibly be more different. Baltimore is like Newark, NJ's big twin, while Richmond resembles Savannah, GA and other Southern cities. Maryland was also ranked first when how reliant states' economies are on there tech sectors by the Washington Businedd Journal. Virginia's economy is still heavily focused on growing tobacoo for crying out loud. If it wasn't for Northern Virginia, the state would be as poor as Mississippi.

Politically, the only other state more liberal than Maryland is Massachusetts. The Dem's don't even bother campaigning in MD anymore. Take out Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia, Virginia would probably be more conservative than Texas. Virginia is also relatively poor (18th in median income), while Maryland is the wealthiest state in the country (1st in median income).

To me "Mid-Atlantic" is a cop out term. Only the media uses it and everyone defines it differently. I don't check any American would disagree that Virginia is a Southern state, and most persons would agree that Maryland, as well as DC and Delaware are part of the Northeast. And for the record I prefer North Carolina way more than I do Virginia.
Someone sounds mad? Born/raised in Maryland(Baltimore) for 18 years, the hype your giving it right now is not deserved. And your post is filled with false statements. If 95% of VA is rural, how does the HR metro, NovA metro and Richmond Metro make up the majority of Va population but yet it's still 95% rural? Makes no sense at all, also YES Maryland is a southern state, (now how southern it is, is arguable as is VA/DE/DC) it seems people have been ashamed to claim the South, We've got to get over this inferiority complex, it's disgusting..I've spent alot of time in New Jersey, Elizabeth/Newark to be exact with my fiancee who's from there and Maryland is definitely NOT a sister city, you say there are no Southern Accents but I know some people born and rasied in PG County that have thicker southern accents than what I hear in the Hampton Roads area of VA (in which people tend have light Southern accents or not much of one at all). So please don't try to "talk down" on another state, because in most peoples mind on the east coast, MD is just the little state you drive threw when trying to get up North to NY or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM

402 posts, read 855,884 times
Default disagree with terp

for starters, why are you bragging about baltimore being like newark?
also, you say va is 95% rural, when 2 million plus live in northern virginia, and including roanoke, richmond, and hampton roads, i think that leaves the population about 30% rural. plus theres nothing wrong with being rural, as much of maryland is. also, maryland isnt as liberal as you make it sound, and that isnt anything you should be proud of. also, whenever i tell people in the deep south i am from virginia, they refer to me as a northerner, so no, every one does not consider virginia the deep south. also, virginia has so much more history than maryland, and much better schools, safety, transit, roads, sports, i could keep going but i will stop here. btw, north carolina anyday over maryland.

http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/r21/images/savannah.jpg (broken link)

also, savanah on the left, richmond on the right. still think they are the same????

Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 43,332 times
N.c.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 AM

105 posts, read 353,055 times
Tenken627
You have to be crazy writting that crap!! I live in Arlington, down the street in Old Town you can look at memorials to the south, Buildings in NOVA are still named after confederate generals. Even in Winchester they still fly the southern cross. Now alot of NOVAinians dont know because the DC area has such a melting pot, some people mispronounce "potomac".

As for your outlandish statments about Virginians fighting for the North, balderdash!!
And as for your claims that maryland has more in common is false, NC has SOOOO much more in common. Everytime I cross the maryland border it feels so different, there is a freakin river between us.

As for the DC metro area, it is a category of its own, there is the real Maryland and the real Virginia and then there is the metro area. DO NOT mistake them, them are sooo different. VA has soo much more in common with NC and SC than maryland.

Its these people from Maryland that put these terrible posts on our site.

And remember Maryland soldiers shot at our Virginia boys, they saw quite a difference.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM

699 posts, read 2,243,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Tenken627
You have to be crazy writting that crap!! I live in Arlington, down the street in Old Town you can look at memorials to the south, Buildings in NOVA are still named after confederate generals. Even in Winchester they still fly the southern cross. Now alot of NOVAinians dont know because the DC area has such a melting pot, some people mispronounce "potomac".

As for your outlandish statments about Virginians fighting for the North, balderdash!!
And as for your claims that maryland has more in common is false, NC has SOOOO much more in common. Everytime I cross the maryland border it feels so different, there is a freakin river between us.

As for the DC metro area, it is a category of its own, there is the real Maryland and the real Virginia and then there is the metro area. DO NOT mistake them, them are sooo different. VA has soo much more in common with NC and SC than maryland.

And remember Maryland soldiers shot at our Virginia boys, they saw quite a difference.
I'm sorry, did someone from Maryland shoot your brother or your father? My condolences. That's a horrible thing to happen to your immediate family.

Oh, that was over 150 years ago?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM

105 posts, read 353,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I'm sorry, did someone from Maryland shoot your brother or your father? My condolences. That's a horrible thing to happen to your immediate family.

Yeah I am a son of a confederate soldier. Nice post bro.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,420,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
for starters, why are you bragging about baltimore being like newark?
also, you say va is 95% rural, when 2 million plus live in northern virginia, and including roanoke, richmond, and hampton roads, i think that leaves the population about 30% rural. plus theres nothing wrong with being rural, as much of maryland is. also, maryland isnt as liberal as you make it sound, and that isnt anything you should be proud of. also, whenever i tell people in the deep south i am from virginia, they refer to me as a northerner, so no, every one does not consider virginia the deep south. also, virginia has so much more history than maryland, and much better schools, safety, transit, roads, sports, i could keep going but i will stop here. btw, north carolina anyday over maryland.

also, savanah on the left, richmond on the right. still think they are the same????
Both cities look like Trash that have every Business that closes after 6 PM, at least Baltimore has Multi-Modes of Mass Transit, Multi-Cultural Communities, and a Growing Developing Mix-Use Harbor.........

Tell me where are the African, West Indian, Latino, Italian, Indian, and Asain Communities in Richmond, Charleston, Savannah, Charlotte, and Atlanta??????????????

I don't count Confederate Parks and Musseum as Multi-Culturalism..........

Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Tenken627

So basically you people from Southern Virginia, The Carolina's, and Georgia are still BITTER for the State of Maryland assisting the Union with Defeating your African Kidnapping Slave Mastering Grand Wizard Ancestors. Don't be pissed off at Current Day Marylanders because you Prejudice Anti-Maryland Southerners wished that the Southern CONfederate Soldiers had won the war so the Blacks will continue to be chained and forced to work under Slave Masters while being treated like Wild Animals..........

Old 08-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post

Great Comeback My Friend........

Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 77,117 times
LOL, it depends on which "Virginia" you prefer: the southern part or the northern part. I think folks who live in NoVa have a lot more in common with MD--both are much more "northern-feeling" places. Folks in the SW and central parts have a lot more in common with NC. I know I'd sure as heck rather live in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia