Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Beware of traffic gridlock on Halloween afternoon. Seems that most parents leave work early so they can take the youngsters out trick or treating. I've never seen such gridlock in my life as on that one day of the year. Saw it that way in western Fairfax, where we lived for 31 years.

Advice:
- Leave work no later than 2PM. Really.
- Pass on the whole thing, stay at the office, work late, go to dinner and a movie, head home about 8PM, the roads will be empty and most kids will be back in their homes.

s/Mike
I had this post on my mind today when I was leaving work today at 5pm. I was dreading the commute. Thankfully, things weren't as bad as I was anticipating. There was still much more traffic than normal, but perhaps because I take backroads, I was able to avoid the brunt of it. A normal commute home runs me some 18 minutes whereas today it too 34 minutes. It's sad that 34 minutes to go seven miles is what I'd consider to be "not that bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:42 PM

51 posts, read 219,341 times
Yeah, well I trump your seven miles...it took us 1.5 hours to go 12 miles! We left exit 62 in Fairfax at 4:30 and got to Godwin & Sudley in Manassas at 6!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Dull-n-boring, thanks for remembering me....

Snomom2000, sounds about right.

s/Mike

Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
Default Virginia Run - trick or treat schedule?

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but it is a hotly contested argument in our household....
Which day do the kids trick or treat given that Halloween is actually on Saturday this year? Usually it is the Friday closest to Halloween. So, is it on Friday? Or Saturday? Or BOTH? God help me if I need to do this 2 days in a row!
We live in Virginia Run - an awesome and safe neighborhood!
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadsrule View Post
Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but it is a hotly contested argument in our household....
Which day do the kids trick or treat given that Halloween is actually on Saturday this year? Usually it is the Friday closest to Halloween. So, is it on Friday? Or Saturday? Or BOTH? God help me if I need to do this 2 days in a row!
Thanks!
My son is 9. We have always gone trick or treating just as it starts to get dark on the 31st, no matter what day of the week it falls.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 33,396 times
Default Halloween on Saturday This Year

Yes, I would say that Trick or Treating will be happening on Saturday, Oct. 31. That's always been the case as I've known it -- it happens on the 31st, no matter what day of the week. I've been living in Centreville for 12 years now, but it's also been that way in other parts of the country I've lived in (NJ, CA, AZ). When I lived in NJ, way back when, the night before was known as "Mischief Night" where the young hooligans threw eggs and soaped cars. But that was a loooonnng time ago (I have to say I was one of those hooligans back then on at least one occasion!). That was in the 70s, have no idea what's happening with that now.

Anyway, I think you can count on Trick or Treaters next Saturday night.

By the way, used to live in Virginia Run....great and safe neighborhood! Moved out to AZ for a few years, been back here for 10 years and live in Centre Ridge, another great and safe neighborhood!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadsrule View Post
Thanks!
Ah...no. I don't know where you get that from. Trick or Treating is ALWAYS done on Halloween. The day of the week makes no difference at all.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM

104 posts, read 224,306 times
Default No Trunk or Treat...

- Fair Oaks Church: Loud on Purpose - (http://www.loudonpurpose.com/Calendar.html - broken link)

There is no trunk or treat at Fair Oaks Curch, but there are other church trunk or treats:
Halloween Night Alternative - Mamapedia™

On another note, what are the hours of Trick or treating (door to door) this year? I have been searching and can't find hours, just safety huidelines.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angirocks View Post
- Fair Oaks Church: Loud on Purpose - (http://www.loudonpurpose.com/Calendar.html - broken link)

There is no trunk or treat at Fair Oaks Curch, but there are other church trunk or treats:
Halloween Night Alternative - Mamapedia™

On another note, what are the hours of Trick or treating (door to door) this year? I have been searching and can't find hours, just safety huidelines.
I have never known anybody to set hours. My child is 9 and we have always started just as it is getting dark in the Manassas and Springfield neighborhoods we have lived in. I'd say wrap it up by 8:30.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Exactly what day do kids go trick or treating. I manage a condo in Falls Church. Some owners are wanting to provide treats for the kids but not sure what night.Please let me know so I can pass the information on to the folks here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia