Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 55,965 times

Advertisements

I lived in Virginia Beach about 5 years ago and really loved it, but Va. Beach is too large of a city. I grew up in N.J. in a town of about 5,000 people and really love the fact that you could walk to the nearby stores, parks, lakes, etc.

I have been living in Florida for the past 5 years and absolutely hate it here. I want to move back to Va., but I would like to stay away from the east coast.

Over the summer I went on a trip with my sisters to KY and TN to check out a few areas they were interested in moving to, and in our travels we drove through a town called Damascus. I absolutely loved the area.

I have been looking online for other towns in the area. I found a few. I plan on taking a trip to the area in the spring and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I am a single mom who's son will be starting high school next year. He isn't into sports much, but if was to join it would probably be track or swimming. He is a gifted student so I would love to find a school that has good gifted programs.

I need help!!! Can anyone out there help me!!! Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 54,193 times
well i dont know about "gifted" programs but patrick henry high school is a great place to learn..and all that good stuff

Old 09-12-2006, 04:51 AM

Thank you for responding. I see Patrick Henry High School is in Glade Springs. That is one of the towns I was looking at. Abingdon, Damascus, Glade Springs, etc.

Are you from the area? Can you tell me more? What are the pros and cons etc? Thanks!

Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 10,767 times
Default Relocating to Southwestern VA

My wife and I are semi-retired and considering a move to Southwestern Virginia; possibly Smyth County.

Any comments as to the advantages/disadvantages of Smyth County over others?

I also need a recommendation for a good Realtor. (I'm sure that request will generate a lot of responses from Realtors, but I'd really like to get comments from those who can recommend a Realtor in Smyth County. Realtors: If your respond, WHY should I choose YOU over the others?)

Thank you!

BillT

Old 09-17-2006, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,193 times
Default Saltville?

I am moving to Saltville in October so i was wondering if someone could tell me what the town is like. I have read some things about it but would like to get a personal perspective on it as far as things to do and places to go. Also wondering if there is a gym or health club in town or near it. Need a job as well so what is the employment picture as well. Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,037,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dball34 View Post
I am moving to Saltville in October so i was wondering if someone could tell me what the town is like. I have read some things about it but would like to get a personal perspective on it as far as things to do and places to go. Also wondering if there is a gym or health club in town or near it. Need a job as well so what is the employment picture as well. Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me.
You're kidding. How did you end up even finding Saltville?
http://www.saltville.org/

We were there last week on a motorcycle ride, scoping out small SW Virginia towns as possible retirement spots. The only reason we ended up in Saltville was because I was doing a tourist search on Google and that town came up as being one of historical interest -- which it is. We visited the Museum of the Middle Appalachians, which seems to be located in a small, defunct movie theater. The town has a very interesting history, and is the site of a large Ice Age archaeological dig. They have several fossils of IA animals there, as well as the reconstructed skeleton of a mastodon, plus the usual Civil War stuff.

From a cursory look at its history, Saltville once had a thriving industrial complex, but doesn't seem to be a hopping town when it comes to employment now. I suspect that a lot of people commute to Abingdon or even Bristol, for employment. If you want things like shopping or gyms, you'll have to make the ~20 mile drive to Abingdon. Saltville doesn't appear to be much more that a small town located on the floor of a valley. For some people - like us -- that is a very attractive measure. We'll most likely move from North Carolina in the next decade, when we plan to retire, and have been checking out towns like Saltville, Damascus and Konnarock. SW Virginia is the prettiest part of the state, in our opinion, but it might not have the kind of amenities that people looking to make a living expect.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,037,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
My wife and I are semi-retired and considering a move to Southwestern Virginia; possibly Smyth County.

Any comments as to the advantages/disadvantages of Smyth County over others?
BillT
Well, this is from the perspective of backroads bikers who like finding quiet, scenic areas to ride

Smyth County would be Marion, I believe, as the largest town, with small communities like Saltville and Chilhowie surrounding it. Our opinion: a wonderfully scenic area; it doesn't seem to be over run with McMansions or subdivisions. Quiet, clean, lots of recreation possibilities:

Laurel Bed Lake http://www.dgif.state.va.us/FISHING/...4&section=maps

Hungry Mother State Park http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/hungrymo.htm (broken link)

Mt Rogers is nearby as well as the Virginia Creeper Trail http://www.vacreepertrail.com/

You can find a lot of info looking at the Marion site
http://www.marionva.org/local/ (broken link)

From the perspective of the needs of older people, I'd consider health care to be the only thing that might cause some hesitation. We are within a decade (hopefully more like 6 years ) of retirement ourselves and don't care for the prospect of having to travel to Abingdon or Wytheville for good elder care. However, being able to live in someplace as nice as SW Virginia would probably counteract that.

One warning if you visit the area: be very careful if you decide to take SR16 from Marion to Tazewell. Talk about a twisty road. Wow As riders, we loved it. People not used to navigating a tortuous road might find themselves scared silly.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 PM

13 posts, read 54,193 times
yes,im form meadowveiw which is not evan 2 miles from glade spring. about the area,its a great place to live with well not many jobs that pay alot.near by tri-cities is the place for jobs around here

Old 10-01-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Looking to move to VA

Hi everyone! This site seems to be very helpful to a lot of people trying to relocate to Va.

I have to get out of Florida! I moved back to Florida because my family needed me. My sister was going through some rough times and I wanted to be there for her. Everybody seems to be doing well now, but I am not happy down here. It's too hot and I am not a salt water person. I really miss the fresh water lakes, rivers, the mountains and hills of being up north.

I lived in Virginia Beach for about a year and a half and really loved it there. What I didn't particularly care for was it being too close to the beach with those whipping winds. Brrr! LOL But I could deal with it.

Virginia Beach is also too large of a city. I grew up in a town of about 5-6,000 people. We lived on a street off of Main St. What I loved about where I grew up is that I could walk to town and get my hair cut, go to the pharmacy store, go to the lake, or park, etc.

Over the summer my sisters and I took a vacation to KY and TN. In our travels we drove through a town called Damascus, which led me on a search online for local towns around Damascus. Some of the towns I found were Abingdon, Saltville, and Wytheville, which seemed to be towns with the older historic feel like where I grew up.

I apologize for writing a book here, but I wanted to try and explain exactly what I was looking for in my new hometown. Can anyone give me some other areas similiar to these towns? Or if you know anything about these towns I mentioned. Pros and cons, whatever I would really appreciate your insight. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:56 AM

33 posts, read 148,175 times
Hi There....

That makes two of us!
I am in the same boaut,live in Florida ( over 10 years) and want out!
I am looking around DC,Fredericksburg,Richmond and Virginia Beach...
Have no clue what to do and where to go!

I like the big city life style though....mayby I should consider a smaller city for a change....

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia