Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 PM

31 posts, read 53,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I spent a lot of time with friends in Waynesboro. The people there, the weather there, and even the scenery and tree life reminded me of Pennsylvania and upstate New York.

I am not arguing against Virginia being southern. I am saying there are Northeastern elements in NOVA culture.
Waynesboro isn't NOVA though that's the funny thing, and I agree.. To someone from this area NOVA is usually seen as Arlington county, Alexandria, Loudoun county, Fairfax county, and Prince William. However, Virginia is a very weird state although Waynesboro or Charlotesville might not feel that southern , when you go down 60 miles south in Lynchburg the shift in culture from Shenandoah valley to southern in my book. Lynchburg is known for the southern baptist convention, its the land of Jerry Falwell.. literally. Its hard for me to make good comparisons with a lot of cities in Virginia to ones in the deep south that I have explored in but Lynchburg fits that bill, and definitely Danville as well. It really depends just where you are in VA, we are kind of a schizophrenic state.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew? View Post
Waynesboro isn't NOVA though that's the funny thing, and I agree.. To someone from this area NOVA is usually seen as Arlington county, Alexandria, Loudoun county, Fairfax county, and Prince William. However, Virginia is a very weird state although Waynesboro or Charlotesville might not feel that southern , when you go down 60 miles south in Lynchburg the shift in culture from Shenandoah valley to southern in my book. Lynchburg is known for the southern baptist convention, its the land of Jerry Falwell.. literally. Its hard for me to make good comparisons with a lot of cities in Virginia to ones in the deep south that I have explored in but Lynchburg fits that bill, and definitely Danville as well. It really depends just where you are in VA, we are kind of a schizophrenic state.
I've noted! XD I think it's Virginia's unique location.

Perhaps it boils down to the fact that all urban areas of the south are changing. I mean, Baton Rouge doesn't feel very southern at times either in the way some people talk, and it has an increasingly liberal atmosphere.

It definitely still has major southern characteristics for certain, but the times are a-changin'.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM

31 posts, read 53,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've noted! XD I think it's Virginia's unique location.

Perhaps it boils down to the fact that all urban areas of the south are changing. I mean, Baton Rouge doesn't feel very southern at times either in the way some people talk, and it has an increasingly liberal atmosphere.

It definitely still has major southern characteristics for certain, but the times are a-changin'.
At least there's common ground between Virginia & West Virginia.. We both seem to share the same dissociative identity disorder lol.

Times are definitely changing.. That's for sure. 10-20 more years who knows what its is going to be like here.. Time will tell I suppose.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Stlouisan you seem to always try to tell people alot about where they are actually from or actually spent alot time at, from a person who is resident of VA, Richmond is alot more than what you read in your history books. How familar are you with Richmond and i dont mean riding pass it on 95 or reading about it!
I question where they are from or ask if they've spent a lot of time in it if their opinions are a stark contrast to the majority of people that live there, or the evidence, which I don't place heavy weight on unless it's undeniably overwhelming, says otherwise. If all the documentaries which includes interviews of numerous life-long residents that I've seen on it are lying, even from a modern perspective, family friends that live in Wytheville that visits Richmond on a regular basis is lying to me, or the numerous colleagues of my uncle's from Richmond told me a lie, or the numerous times i've driven I-81 through all of Virginia, stopping and chatting with locals, aren't enough, how on earth could I be wrong? Richmond is demographically, culturally, and lingustically southern, not to mention, it's benefited the Reverse Migration. It may have significant Northern influences, but not enough to where you couldn't still identify it as southern. The lifestyle of Richmond and the way people act are a stark contrast to DC and Baltimore. You can feel free to disagree, but until you can convincingly make a case that Richmond isn't southern, or that baltimore and D.C. are more culturally, demographically, and linguistically similar to richmond than Philly, I'm afraid I have no choice but to disagree.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
I'd agree with this...however, I think it's pretty safe to say that Virginia leans more southern than it does northern in most parts. My impression of Lynchburg was the same as your's. In fact, starting at Fredericksburg I would say you have definitively exited the BosWash culturally. Virginia still fits in better with the south than anywhere else.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:58 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Lynchburg, Danville, Martinsville, and Bristol are all very southern. Roanoke is mostly southern.

Richmond seems somewhat southern, though diluted, much like in a metro Atlanta kind of way.

The Hampton Roads area seems southern in some areas, and a smorgasbord in other locations.

Rural Virginia is pretty much all southern.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
I agree Richmond is southern but i also believe D.C. and Baltimore are southern also,mid atlantic at the most.Just because a place dose not fit peoples stereotypical versions of the south anymore it doesnt mean it isnt southern i mean 50yrs ago no one had an issue calling them southern so whats the diffrence now? Eventually there will not be too many places that follow these so-called sterotypical southern demographics and cultural boundaries then what?? I guess these places will not be southern either.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Its like once a place reaches a certain level of success or achievements it cant be southern any longer lol.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
I agree Richmond is southern but i also believe D.C. and Baltimore are southern also,mid atlantic at the most.Just because a place dose not fit peoples stereotypical versions of the south anymore it doesnt mean it isnt southern i mean 50yrs ago no one had an issue calling them southern so whats the diffrence now? Eventually there will not be too many places that follow these so-called sterotypical southern demographics and cultural boundaries then what?? I guess these places will not be southern either.
I am starting to lean to this thinking.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Maryland was never part of the confederacy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia