Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 103,586 times

Advertisements

I live in Virginia, and i must say it does not seem southern as when i get into the Carolinas or Tennessee.

Would you still consider Virginia a southern state culturally? I understand that it is traditionally southern but even geographically it is in the middle of the country.

Most religious states

http://friendlyatheist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/map.jpg (broken link)

Frequency of either "Y'all" or "You all" to address multiple people, according to an Internet survey of American dialect variation.

The merger of pin and pen in Southern American English. In the purple areas, the merger is complete for most speakers.

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Depends on what part of Virginia. Nobody will claim northern Virginia is Southern, but you'd have an excellent case for the rest of the state.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM

423 posts, read 645,751 times
Overall yes, once you get south of Dumfries your in the south.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Overall yes, once you get south of Dumfries your in the south.

Richmond doesn't really feel southern to me.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian1984 View Post
Richmond doesn't really feel southern to me.
It has an east coast vibe to it, so does the VA beach area, but it still leans more southern.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
It has an east coast vibe to it, so does the VA beach area, but it still leans more southern.
So you're saying it has more of a mid Atlantic feel to it?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian1984 View Post
So you're saying it has more of a mid Atlantic feel to it?
Yea, but once hit the DC inner suburbs things start to change and your officially in the fast paced Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Richmond and south I consider Southern.

Richmond has many Southern restaurants, its Marlboro country, and it was the capital of the Confederacy, after all.

Northern Virginia is not the real Virginia anyway, so it belongs to the Northeast, along with thoroughly Yankeefied Maryland and Delaware, on up.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Southside Va (Farmville, Danville, Blackstone, Martinsville, Emporia), Central Va around Lynchburg (Appomatox, Amherst), have an old south feel to them (more southern feeling than some places in NC) and many people are still living in the civil war. I have heard people be referred to as yankee's there before and I have known people who did civil war reinactments. We also participated in Dixie youth sports for little league which starts in VA, and goes south, and many people were in the National League for Junior Cottilions (traditional southern practice). The southern accents are also pretty strong for many in central, southside, and southwest VA. Take a trip to any of the places I listed above and you will hear a stereotypical drawl from many people that you would expect further south. Southwest VA (Roanoke, southwest of that area) also has the mountain south culture that is similar to Tennessee and Eastern Ky. You probably would not be able to distinguish the accent difference from someone from southwest VA from eastern TN for example. I also think Richmond still has some southern culture left although not the level of the areas southwest of it. There is a unique southern accent among some Richmond Va natives and the pace of life feels more relaxed than in 757 and Northern VA. The tidewater area of VA has an influx of military and has a southern mixed with mid atlantic feel. Many people in the suburbs of 757 VA still have southern accents (Surry county, Isle of Wight, etc). Northern VA is purely mid atlantic. That is my opinion/assessment of Virginia. Overall the official Virginia.gov website sums it up best when it describes VA as the gateway to the south that is sometimes referred to as mid atlantic.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Maybe you need to redefine what Southern is.

I mean, if you use Alabama as the litmus for Southern-ness, Virginia is not going to seem very Southern. On the other hand, people from New York, New England, California, etc. will see a lot of differences in Virgina that they will attribute to the fact that Virginia is, culturally, Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia